Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I actually thought we retained the ball yesterday better than we have done all season.

Yes, that's fair. Due to 2 things I think - firstly confidence of the players. The little run of good results has seen them playing with more confidence, and towards the end, for about a minute or two yesterday they was a tiny flash of quick pass and move football, just on the right inside right position with Snodgrass and (I think) Elhomady and maybe Onomah. A tiny glimpse of what could be possible, let off the leash (either of tactical caution*/ players being nervous *delete according to opinion).

I think it's unfair to criticise the manger for players seeming uncomfortable in possession or for messing up simple passes, but it is fair to criticise the coaching for tactics which involve hoofball  - which wasn't the case yesterday.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The problem is I don’t think Bruce sees it as a problem and so has no intention of dealing with it.

I hope you are wrong

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Yes, that's fair. Due to 2 things I think - firstly confidence of the players. The little run of good results has seen them playing with more confidence, and towards the end, for about a minute or two yesterday they was a tiny flash of quick pass and move football, just on the right inside right position with Snodgrass and (I think) Elhomady and maybe Onomah. A tiny glimpse of what could be possible, let off the leash (either of tactical caution*/ players being nervous *delete according to opinion).

I think it's unfair to criticise the manger for players seeming uncomfortable in possession or for messing up simple passes, but it is fair to criticise the coaching for tactics which involve hoofball  - which wasn't the case yesterday.

Terry has helped to eliminate the hoofball.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Terry has helped to eliminate the hoofball.

Along with the absence of Baker. Two birds with one stone.

Baker was a good defender at this level, but he was easily the worst offender when it came to hoofing. 

Terry is a different class in that respect.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The problem is I don’t think Bruce sees it as a problem and so has no intention of dealing with it.

He must see us giving the ball back so easily as a problem as more often than not it's down to a poor pass or trying to play the wrong pass when it's not on. This happens over and over again. It's just careless. 

But I agree he seems  happy to let the opposition have the ball for long spells of the game as long as they can't break us down. 

Edit: Its almost small team mentality.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

So should Wolves & Middlesbrough but there is much more to this league than quality players.

I think our squad is better than either of those with a good mixture of experience and plenty of strength in depth -let's see how wolves flashy Portuguese players get on in the cold winter nights at Brentford and Bolton .

no doubt for me we have the best squad in this division , and there can be no excuses for not getting promoted with these players .

12 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think our squad is better than either of those with a good mixture of experience and plenty of strength in depth -let's see how wolves flashy Portuguese players get on in the cold winter nights at Brentford and Bolton .

no doubt for me we have the best squad in this division , and there can be no excuses for not getting promoted with these players .

I think the fact Bolton are probably the worst team in the league and play at a brand new stadium with undersoil heating shows how strong this league is these days. Gone are the days of foreign players struggling in the harsh playing conditions of English winters. It doesn't even get that cold anymore! 

8 hours ago, poitier said:

I think we will need to outscore Wolves, I don't think our defence will be good enough to contain them, so we must go positive.

The defence that has leaked very few goals this season? If our defence is not good enough to contain them then none are in this league. Although Taylor being banned means they will certain target the left side

9 hours ago, av1 said:

Really? If we are going to compare money spent we must be the PSG equivalent of the Championship. 

Lets not start making excuses already. Its Wolverhampton Wanderers for gods sake. 

It's not who they are . It's more how they play . 

I'm guessing we'll have , against Wolves , about 30% possession, and if we're really lucky ,maybe nick a victory. 

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's not who they are . It's more how they play . 

I'm guessing we'll have , against Wolves , about 30% possession, and if we're really lucky ,maybe nick a victory. 

So its not that they have better players, but they manage to play better football?

I wonder why that is?

28 minutes ago, av1 said:

So its not that they have better players, but they manage to play better football?

I wonder why that is?

We all know why that is but come end of the season if we finish above them with much worse possession stats then who played the better football? 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â