Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, briny_ear said:

On the other hand, I am pretty confident that players who feel "comfortable" and "familiar" will more often than not get thoroughly thrashed in games. Sounds a bit like Lescott and Richards.

I think you are confusing "comfortable" and "familiar" with "not giving a shit" and "being utterly crap"

Seriously, are you using this as an argument against having a settled team? 

I am wondering if I have woken up in some parallel universe this morning.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, macandally said:

If you buy players who are familiar with a system and play them in the system they are familiar with, it is easier to settle.

We seem to have bought players on an opportunistic basis then thrown them into a team that is constantly in flux from a starting 11 and tactics perspective.  That will. It help players settle at all.

I would argue that we didn't actually need at least half the players brought in this window, the squad and youth was enough to get us up.  We are now bloated and unbalanced.  Most were bought to cover the inadequacy of the Manager.

We are now Hull or Wigan, we really need rid of this muppet as he is totally wrong for this club.

Agreed, how many right backs and right sided players do we have now?

How light are we on the left?

How many midfielders vs how many (decent) center backs?

We don't have a balanced squad, nor a stable first team (or tactics, or formation) By now, we absolutely should. Any manager worth his salt would have got these things in place by now. Bruce hasn't. 

I absolutely agree that some of the players we got were unnecessary. Maybe they were bought in to add to the excuse of more changes and more players needing time to settle. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

How many wildebeest escape to live long, happy lives as the leader of their herd after they've been chased and wounded by a predator? 

Well a bruised potato is ugly but give it a peel and a good mashing and you've got a great lunch. Might need some gravy as well. And some sausages. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

How many wildebeest escape to live long, happy lives as the leader of their herd after they've been chased and wounded by a predator? 

I refer you to my previous post asking if I have woken up in a parallel universe this morning.

45 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well a bruised potato is ugly but give it a peel and a good mashing and you've got a great lunch. Might need some gravy as well. And some sausages. 

There are a couple of vegetables too ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Image result for Sesame Street WildebeestImage result for predator images

My guess is none. I would say he is proper f***ed.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Were they called Brinner or Brouter?

17 hours ago, AJ said:

Yes, the answer to how long players take to blend in is the same answer to the question, "How long is a piece of string?" The manager, through familiarisation with his players and the use of tactics can determine how long that takes.

I think that is wishful thinking....sometimes yes, sometimes no.....If it was a foolproof systematic process every manager would be successful, but its not and even the best laid plans, sometimes don't work.

The best managers usually have the best budgets that buy the best players who have less chance of being poor......we all know this but sometimes forget it.

sometimes that rule is pie in the sky and a Villa or Leicester come along and on low budgets defy all the rules.

Its simply not easy to pin down.....else everyone would be doing it.

Edited by TRO

11 hours ago, vreitti said:

When did I say that? 

I just think it's a little ironic that the only players seemingly "blended" in Bruce's team is the ones he didn't sign.

I do actually seriously question the managers ability, even if you don't. 

I question the ability of the manager, when he has had sufficient time to bed in all his signings and see how they materialise.....we have signed half a team in the window , is it not reasonable to expect some bedding in time.

I guess those that are privvy to BMH are at an advantage to me.

We will soon know if the manager is any good or not.....you think not now, fine.....I'm willing to give him longer.

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, vreitti said:

Send it yourself FFS! What should I care what a random selection of football managers think? You think it somehow strengthens your argument, don't think so. Please name a manager in the ELC currently doing a worse job than Steve Bruce? There isn't none, and frankly how anyone can still be behind this utter clown of a manager, is beyond me. He's gotten one game right in almost a year now, a game where we actually looked like a football team, and that by his own admittance was mostly forced upon him, due to injuries. Still he should be given time after time after time.... why? Because he'll soon magically make it, big time, right!? You feel free to wear your tin foil hat and whatnot, I'd rather not if you don't mind. I really hope the fans turn on him soon, as the good Dr isn't quite acting soon enough. 

I don't give a stuff of how strong my argument is or is not, its my opinion...... we have all done it to death.

You want him gone.....I'm willing to give him longer.

He will be given at least until the end of september, lets see if the owner agrees with you.

10 hours ago, macandally said:

If you buy players who are familiar with a system and play them in the system they are familiar with, it is easier to settle.

We seem to have bought players on an opportunistic basis then thrown them into a team that is constantly in flux from a starting 11 and tactics perspective.  That will not help players settle at all.

I would argue that we didn't actually need at least half the players brought in this window, the squad and youth was enough to get us up.  We are now bloated and unbalanced.  Most were bought to cover the inadequacy of the Manager.

We are now Hull or Wigan, we really need rid of this muppet as he is totally wrong for this club.

If all these things levelled against him are true......and oh, i watch the games just like you and at times far from happy.

would all of his work good or bad not wash out in his win ratio's.?

If one manager did everything right and another everything wrong over their careers.....would that not reflect in their games won?

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

They would probably say something like "yes, they will blend more quickly if you play them in a position they are familiar with playing in, in a team that is settled so that they know who their teammates are and how they play, if they have a set style of play to adapt to and clear instructions from the manager in a formation which plays to their strengths. You know what would be stupid would be to change the team and formation every game and play those players in positions they are not familiar with with different team mates each time, that would put you on a hiding to nothing and will never work, only an idiot would do that." 

Seriously - I cannot believe that people are still spouting stuff like give him time and players need to blend. :angry: :huh:. Players need time, yes they do, some longer than others, but ours seem to need at least a season en-masse. That is down to the manager NOT providing stability. Oh my word. What is going to magically change over the next 5 games? seriously - can anyone see Bruce suddenly seeing the light and changing 20+ years of management style to suddenly click with this team. I was hoping we had turned a corner with the two good results, but then he went 3 at the back and ended up playing Chester at RB, showing that he had learned nothing. 

It makes me want to pull my hair out when I hear people saying we need stability, so we should stick with Bruce. He is not providing stability - he is changing the team and formation every sodding game (when did we last play two-three games unchanged?). That is not stability and is one of the reasons we are as shit as we are.

It us an utter disgrace that after 40+ games and nearly a year (or three months I cant remember which) of being here he does not have a first team of players, or a set formation. 

you make some feasible statements, very difficult to argue against.....I'm not sure what is going to magically change over the next 5 games, just like I did not know what magically changed against Norwich and Wigan....maybe the players found some form

what formation do you suggest he adopts and sticks to?......you have told us what you don't want, tell us what you do want.

lots of people have been spouting lots of stuff off to: (I would imagine) 1) express their frustration 2) to try to find a solution as to why we are not doing what we all expected.

Lots of things have been written about Steve Bruce .....but during his career he has demonstrated an ability to wins games  at a rate comparable to managers whose names have been put forward replace him......any idea why that is?

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Lots of things have been written about Steve Bruce .....but during his career he has demonstrated an ability to wins games  at a rate comparable to managers whose names have been put forward replace him......any idea why that is?

I don't believe that anyone is denying his success at this level throughout his career. It's been mixed, but he has his 4 promotions and that is a fact. However his performance here over the last 11 months has equally undeniably been very poor and perhaps it's just a simple fact that as a manager he has run out of steam. Everything comes to an end and this may be the end for Steve Bruce. Equally it could feasibly be a case that he just hasn't clicked here. 

It has to be said, there aren't many clubs the size of Villa who have financially invested heavily for the league we're in, that would still be giving the manager more time. His excuses of late are becoming as tiresome as they are predictable. Perhaps for his own good he should put his hands up and say I'm done, I just haven't got it right here. I think a lot of people would think more highly of him for that, than if this just drags on to what the recent evidence is pointing at a failed attempt to get us promoted. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don't believe that anyone is denying his success at this level throughout his career. It's been mixed, but he has his 4 promotions and that is a fact. However his performance here over the last 11 months has equally undeniably been very poor and perhaps it's just a simple fact that as a manager he has run out of steam. Everything comes to an end and this may be the end for Steve Bruce. Equally it could feasibly be a case that he just hasn't clicked here. 

It has to be said, there aren't many clubs the size of Villa who have financially invested heavily for the league we're in, that would still be giving the manager more time. His excuses of late are becoming as tiresome as they are predictable. Perhaps for his own good he should put his hands up and say I'm done, I just haven't got it right here. I think a lot of people would think more highly of him for that, than if this just drags on to what the recent evidence is pointing at a failed attempt to get us promoted. 

Dave, come the end of September and we have an unacceptable amount of points my comments will be wasted.

but what if he wins every game.

We have just bought half a team in the summer, is he not entitled to see how they go.

I have already quoted in earlier posts he has a win ratio with us of 41.9%.....its not great, but its not sacking material either.

Villa's Average in its history is around that......Wagners career is 38.2%/ 44% at Huddersfield......Jokanovic is 41.8 at Fulham in 85 games.

He may be a lost cause....but i am trying to put a bit of perspective in here.

I think come the end of September, we will all have a clearer view.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dave, come the end of September and we have an unacceptable amount of points my comments will be wasted.

but what if he wins every game.

We have just bought half a team in the summer, is he not entitled to see how they go.

I have already quoted in earlier posts he has a win ratio with us of 41.9%.....its not great, but its not sacking material either.

Villa's Average in its history is around that......Wagners career is 38.2%/ 44% at Huddersfield......Jokanovic is 41.8 at Fulham in 85 games.

He may be a lost cause....but i am trying to put a bit of perspective in here.

I think come the end of September, we will all have a clearer view.

I don't get these "what if he wins ever game" lines, it is perfectly obvious that that won't happen. 

I think come the end of September he may well be gone.

People aren't lacking perspective, Bruce's record here has been poor. We've seen no improvement in almost a year and despite signing 13 or 14 players.

Thinking it might get better is fine, no harm in that but doing so has nothing to do with perspective.

• Like 3

Â