Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, peterms said:

Well I'm sure others do the negotiating and all the procedural work, but aren't managers usually involved in meeting the players, explaining their plans, discussing how the player will fit in and so on?

Liverpool has just signed oxlade chamberlain while klopp is on holiday abroad so I don't see any problem - I doubt we will be making any major signings if any .

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Hard to believe it if Bruce is really on holiday in Portugal - we're 18th place and there is so much that needs sorting at VP plus transfers to manage. 

Why?

Our transfer dealings are apparently done, and even if they're not then Bruce's input into them probably is.

The players will either be on International duty or probably been given a few days off themselves.

It's a two week break. Part of that break is recovery. This notion that football clubs should be training all day every day is a bit weird really.

I imagine if you looked at the other clubs in the Championship then they'd be doing similar.

2 hours ago, sne said:

At least we can put to rest this silly idea that Bruce (or Di Matteo) is personally handling the transfer dealings.

Quite.

It infuriates me that people still believe this.

It infuriates me even more that managers like Di Matteo get blamed for their transfers and managers like Sherwood get off because he gave an interview once and claimed he didn't have much say (even though he said the opposite before).

The majority of clubs work this way. There's a team that deal with transfers, that the manager is part of. Maybe in varying capacities, but I'd wager it's largely the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've been reading about the tactical philosophies of managers like Jokanovic, Clement, Wagner etc and a descriptive phrase about the high press and energetic play to win the ball back caught my eye .... "this style of play enables players to play the aggressive energetic pressing style that most young modern managers are playing today". 

Contrast this with Bruce's sitting deep with often nine outfielders behind the ball, and keeping it tight with a long lofted out ball to an isolated striker or an unsupported run by Hutton as our only attacking options. While SB is wondering out loud whether we are "ready to play with strikers" or "whether we have trained enough with three centre backs to make it work", other teams are playing the kind of aggressive energetic high pressing football that we can only dream about. 

These "modern managers" suffocate the space in front of the opposition making it very hard to pass out of their defence and causing turnovers in dangerous areas. Bruce does the opposite, he leaves a vast open chasm in front of our midfield in which the opposition can play out without being challenged.

Bruce will not play this "modern" way. If you look at the age of his latest signings it's clear he has no intention of playing this way, because you need younger energetic players with great engines to work the high press effectively. We also are clearly not fit enough to play this way, which is not surprising if we are only training three times a week on average.

Bruce seems to be ignoring "tactics" and hoping that by putting a whole bunch of more experienced players on the pitch, they will be able to sort it out for themselves on match days.

This will leave Villa increasingly isolated with an out of date creaking football philosophy, failing to get anywhere near the maximum out of a very decent but ageing squad.

A cracking post ^

The bolded bit is the most significant part to me, because If

Team A has no progressive tactical plan

V

Team B who have a tactical plan with which they implement their player strengths also negating the oppositions strengths.

Going by common mathematical percentages, predictability and the pure fact that "on the fly" is reserved for those who are well capable of it (e.g Kodjia)

which team is MORE LIKELY to come out on top?

A simple fact that backs up this theory (yes its only a theory)

Last season we won 16 - lost 16 - drew 14 (of those games RDM had 1 win - 1 loss 9 draws iirc) leaving Bruce with a record of

W 15 D 5 L 15

So basically teams took as many points off us as we took of them.

Looking at Toon & B&HA their points won over points conceeded for them to get promoted. the difference is alarming

N.B add the 5 games so far this season W1 D2 L2 that is 5pts won 8pts conceeded

then Bruce has a negative return over his tenure (taking the whole as a trend - he started well pts wise - but the recent trend - last games of last season 1st 5 of this - regardless of where you re-arrange the scale of how many games it takes at a point during our 1 stretch of results to get back to equality) This trend has to be reversed to a 2+ppg for a considerable time for us to catch up.

Time for a different playing style/philosophy I fear

• Like 4

17 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I agree that some discussions get bogged down into repetitive monotony.  But surely you don't want to encourage posters to stop posting something just because you've heard it enough before?   If you are then we need to add another option to the like function... "Your point is fine but I'm tired of hearing it now, so please stop posting until you have something new to say"  The icon could be an emoji nodding off.   Without that button, I'm not sure how to tell which of my brilliant posts you're likely to find boring.

It's okay, I find zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz works pretty much the same way 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Bruce will not play this "modern" way. If you look at the age of his latest signings it's clear he has no intention of playing this way, because you need younger energetic players with great engines to work the high press effectively. We also are clearly not fit enough to play this way, which is not surprising if we are only training three times a week on average.

Bruce seems to be ignoring "tactics" and hoping that by putting a whole bunch of more experienced players on the pitch, they will be able to sort it out for themselves on match days.

This will leave Villa increasingly isolated with an out of date creaking football philosophy, failing to get anywhere near the maximum out of a very decent but ageing squad.

This sums up exactly how Bruce sets us up and hasnt changed since the day he took over. Thats why he continually tinkers with thestarting eleven, he genuinely doesnt appear to have a clue about how to set us up and get the best out of our players. The more alarming point though is that we have coaches at the club and what is it they do each day in training? If they know what they are doing they must wonder what the hell is going on during a matchday when he comes in and saya were going three at the back on this one...........................or are they as clueless as Bruce?

September has the ability to kill off our promotion hopes altogether since Kodja is further away from fitness than we hoped. Next season we will be up against clubs who are coming down with much bigger parachute payments than we came down with and our will have ended. We will be well and truly stuck down here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Well we had one chance to get it right.

Get rid of him before the season started. 

Its too late now, were down here for the long haul.

Agreed. If we don't go up this season (and we won't with Bruce in charge) we are down here for years. 

They bottled it. And failure to get promoted this season after out spending every club in the division by quite some distance should cost Round and Wyness their jobs. 

29 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Well we had one chance to get it right.

Get rid of him before the season started. 

Its too late now, were down here for the long haul.

Too soon to write us off yet , 2 years ago Barnsley were 23rd at Xmas and got promoted after a change of manager  - let's see where we are at the end of September - if still well off the pace then the axe will surely fall .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

With the news that McCormack is likely to stay, we have a plethora of attacking options, and a manager who is afraid to attack. There's an interesting equation for you to balance Dr. T.

I think Bruce will either have  a good September and get us back in or around the top 6 in a months time or be gone , in which case Ross could be a useful asset to a new manager 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why?

Our transfer dealings are apparently done, and even if they're not then Bruce's input into them probably is.

The players will either be on International duty or probably been given a few days off themselves.

It's a two week break. Part of that break is recovery. This notion that football clubs should be training all day every day is a bit weird really.

I imagine if you looked at the other clubs in the Championship then they'd be doing similar.

Do me a favour, the club is in complete turmoil - even IF there is nothing for Bruce to do, which I doubt, swanning off to Portugal sends all the wrong signals. 

Hes only just back from his summer jollies FFS! If he wants a "break", he should earn it

If it was me, even IF most of the players are off I would be working with my coaches and spending time with the U23 squad and generally looking like I gave a f***

We'll never get promoted under Bruce

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Do me a favour, the club is in complete turmoil - even IF there is nothing for Bruce to do, which I doubt, swanning off to Portugal sends all the wrong signals. 

Hes only just back from his summer jollies FFS! If he wants a "break", he should earn it

If it was me, even IF most of the players are off I would be working with my coaches and spending time with the U23 squad and generally looking like I gave a f***

We'll never get promoted under Bruce

Things are not going great on the pitch but the club is far from in complete turmoil .

• Like 1

Just now, Eastie said:

Things are not going great on the pitch but the club is far from in complete turmoil .

No that will come next season when we fail to go up and have to sell Kodija to balance the books.

• Like 2

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Steve Bruce is right at the bottom of the list of managers that I would employ to get the best out of our very decent squad of players.

My thoughts on Kodjia .... Is there such a thing as a disruptive goalscorer?

Â