Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I doubt very much that Dr Tony is gonna pull the trigger in the summer. I reckon he will give him the chance to strengthen in the summer and try to push the top 6 next season.

I can't for the life me imagine us achieving the play offs within just 2 seasons but Bruce has history in this division and our best chance may be to stick with him.

Next season is gonna be tough and people expecting us to be anywhere near the top 3 or 4 places are going to be left disappointed.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

I may sound a bit Tim Sherwood, but I just had a look at Steve's win percentage.. 

Since being at Villa, his win % is the highest its ever been for him since 2001. 

He's been promoted 4 times in that period and has never had such a good ratio. If we keep him, he has to keep that up. 

9 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Less of a laughingstock of course if one took a broader view to include January and February.  Of if one looked at the actual quality of play for ANY of the matches you cite.  Or if one looked at the caliber of playing staff at his disposal. (as I think has been Eastie's point)

They won't because people don't actually watch us play anymore...the club was slaughtered when we got rid of sherwood, the negative press surrounding axing Bruce would be mental, can imagine the soccer Saturday crew who probably couldn't name 5 of our players but are of course experts would soon paint a picture of us having another foreign owner who's useless because he couldn't possibly understand English football in the way these members of the old boys club do

not a reason why not to do it of course, would just make it very hard 

I'm not sure where we'd actually go next, Bruce could scrape us out of this league playing god awful football, I'd probably give him the chance to do so, wouldn't let him anywhere near a Prem team though 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Less of a laughingstock of course if one took a broader view to include January and February.  Of if one looked at the actual quality of play for ANY of the matches you cite.  Or if one looked at the caliber of playing staff at his disposal. (as I think has been Eastie's point)

I'm not arguing what they could've done in January, but to do it after the run we've had would look,and would be, laughable

Just now, terrytini said:

I'm not arguing what they could've done in January, but to do it after the run we've had would look,and would be, laughable

At the end of the season everything can be looked at and not just one run. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Are we not at the moment?

We've been laughed at for years. 

Leicester were a laughing stock for getting rid of Ranieri. Who gives a shit how others view us as long as we're heading in the right direction. 

Sacking the manager wouldn't be a move in the right direction. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

At the end of the season everything can be looked at and not just one run. 

Completely agree. And can see why some would roll the dice again.

Ive seen enough to want him to stay.

Just now, mykeyb said:

Do you disagree then that the better teams are more comfortable with the ball, use it better and ergo have better possession stats than we have garnered under SB

You got in before my edit.

This, in bold, is the key point. Better teams use the ball better.

A team that uses the ball better in the opposition half, creating chances, will naturally force the opposition deeper, which in turn gives more space in the opposition half. More space and front-foot football = more possession than the opposition who are forced to defend deep.

I do not disagree that better teams use the ball better than us and ergo have better possession stats.

I disagree with the notion though that better teams play possession football. Their possession is a result of the fact they use the ball better in key areas of the pitch. It's not a result of the manager saying "our style is to play possession football".

Look at Paul Lambert at the end of his tenure with us. He had us playing possession football. We did f*** all with it though.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Maybe. I still think sticking with Bruce is a waste of time. I think he's going to fail and i dread to think how long we will be down here once our massive financial edge goes. 

Sure. You see it one way, I see it another. We aren't going to persuade each other, so let's leave it there.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Maybe. I still think sticking with Bruce is a waste of time. I think he's going to fail and i dread to think how long we will be down here once our massive financial edge goes. 

He needs to get off to a decent start next season in  my view - 10 games in and in mid October we will have a fair idea of things - I can't see xia sacking him in the summer although should he lose the last 5 games and we finish 15th then maybe questions will be asked .

I really thought we'd kick on and finish top 10 at worse a couple of weeks ago but the last 3 games have hit those hopes .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

He needs to get off to a decent start next season in  my view - 10 games in and in mid October we will have a fair idea of things - I can't see xia sacking him in the summer although should he lose the last 5 games and we finish 15th then maybe questions will be asked .

I really thought we'd kick on and finish top 10 at worse a couple of weeks ago but the last 3 games have hit those hopes .

I just hope, like with RDM, we act early next season. He's had long enough to not require another 6 months next year to be judged. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I may sound a bit Tim Sherwood, but I just had a look at Steve's win percentage.. 

Since being at Villa, his win % is the highest its ever been for him since 2001. 

He's been promoted 4 times in that period and has never had such a good ratio. If we keep him, he has to keep that up. 

Why does he?

His points per game ration as it stands now wouldn't have got us into the play offs this season if he had managed us from game 1, so he needs to do better just to get a play off place.

Edited by mykeyb

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Absolutely. The online view of sacking a manager every few months the will take us to League One before the Premier League. 

I can't think of anyone who supports sacking a manager" every few months " . If a manager is doing a good job ,why would you want him sacked? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, terrytini said:

They wouldn't have been a laughing stock in February. But this is now.

Again what's his points total in 2017? Or since he took over on day one. Let's not be selective about which bits of his tenure we want to use.

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Why does he?

His points per game ration as it stands now wouldn't have got us into the play offs this season if he had managed us from game 1, so he needs to do better just to get a play off place.

Yep. 

Needs big improvements. Gonna be a struggle to reach that top 6 with him IMO. 

18 minutes ago, Godders said:

You got in before my edit.

This, in bold, is the key point. Better teams use the ball better.

A team that uses the ball better in the opposition half, creating chances, will naturally force the opposition deeper, which in turn gives more space in the opposition half. More space and front-foot football = more possession than the opposition who are forced to defend deep.

I do not disagree that better teams use the ball better than us and ergo have better possession stats.

I disagree with the notion though that better teams play possession football. Their possession is a result of the fact they use the ball better in key areas of the pitch. It's not a result of the manager saying "our style is to play possession football".

Look at Paul Lambert at the end of his tenure with us. He had us playing possession football. We did f*** all with it though.

There is indeed a big difference between actual possession football over sterile possession. So, why can't we play possession football and be creative? Why do we win all our matches without dominating? 

Also, I don't think we have done very well against the teams in the top 6 this season? Maybe someone has some quick stats that they can share to back this up... interesting that these are all teams who tend to dominate their matches, though. 

I think passing is important as well, I don't think we have made it over the 200 mark in many games this season, which suggests we try to be too quick and not really think about what we are going to do with an attack. Again, I don't know why we need to be like that but, we won't be going up anytime soon playing like this. 

I hate being negative, but, I was expecting a lot more from us by now. 

Edited by Tayls

11 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Trouble is those 10 games could ruin next season too. The "let's give him the summer and the first 10 games" run the risk of making us just an average Championship club for years to come. Could also prove his doubters wrong.

• Like 1

Â