Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

My fear with us hiring Bruce was that If things started to go wrong, the fans would turn quickly. 

2017 has started abysmally, with terrible results and some negative hoofball tactics used. 

There are already signs of disgruntled fans (even amongst our generally partisan away fans) and I worry that if results and performances continue in the current turgid manner, it will be too much for the fan base and they'll turn completely. 

I think Bruce has three or four games to convince the crowd (not the club) he's the man for the job. 

I believe most fans like the squad we've built but are not convinced Bruce knows how to use them. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 3

If we are reforming the club and having a scouting/analysis setup separate from the manager - or rather, one that the manager doesn't bring in off his own back - then Bruce was the wrong man I think.

We needed a coach. A coach to look after the team. With the other bits being looked after by Steve Round et al.

Brucie can recover, and I hope he does. But there's no denying we look shite at the moment. Totally clueless and inflexible.

Bruce only now has his squad and I wouldn't mind betting he was hoping for a new goalkeeper.

I suspect we will end the season strongly without getting to play offs. He inherited a terrible mess and a pretty gutless bunch of professionals.

• Like 2

Sorry but Bruce looks like he's failed in his remit which was to get us into the top six this season.

Tony needs to look at this in the summer and judge him on this basis, he then needs to decide whether he truly is the man to take us forward.

If we are playing the long game like Tony has said and our strategy was to make signings in January and consolidate for next season i'm sure most would have preferred that we had appointed a younger more progressive manager such as Rowett, Monk, Smith.

Instead it looks like were stuck with Jurassic Park Bruce and his Jurassic brand of football for the time being anyway.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Sorry but Bruce looks like he's failed in his remit which was to get us into the top six this season.

Tony needs to look at this in the summer and judge him on this basis, he then needs to decide whether he truly is the man to take us forward.

If we are playing the long game like Tony has said and our strategy was to make signings in January and consolidate for next season i'm sure most would have preferred that we had appointed a younger more progressive manager such as Rowett, Monk, Smith.

Instead it looks like were stuck with Jurassic Park Bruce and his Jurassic brand of football for the time being anyway.

The aim was promotion this season or next season - hopefully this season but there was no remit for Bruce to make the play offs or else this season .

i would expect Bruce to be given at least until November unless results are atrocious in the run in to the end of season.

i think jedinak and Taylor will make a big difference in the new formation and expect to win these two home games and things be looking far better in 10 days time .

it has been a very poor run and Bruce has made glaring errors but there is no need to panic just yet .

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Eastie said:

There was no remit for Bruce to make the play offs or else this season .

What i meant was a remit not set by the club, but by the fans i remember quite a few on here saying that they expect Bruce to get us in the play offs this season and will judge him based on this outcome hence failure if he doesn't get us there.

31 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Bruce has made glaring errors but there is no need to panic just yet .

He certainly has but what annoys me more than anything is that were still not doing the basic stuff correctly. 

When Bruce was appointed i was happy because i expected us to go back to basics because he's an experienced coach but we haven't done this and were still making the same glaring mistakes we have done previously under Garde, Sherwood e.t.c.

I'm not enthused by our style of play either at the minute. We have ball players in the middle of the park who can get into the box and score goals for once. Is it to much to ask for us to utilise them correctly and play the ball into feet instead of going direct all the time. It would also be nice to see our CM's pass the halfway line as well.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

Barring a disaster, like being thumped in the next 5or 6 games, then Bruce is here until at the least the end of the season and I welcome that

This bloke has 4 promotions to his name, including last season with a worse squad of players. He has a history of doing what he needs to get out of this division. I'm still confident we have the right man 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Look, it's not excuses,

all you want is a win and no one can give you one.....you cannot go back and change what has happened, its gone.

what do you want me to do join in with you, when deep down I believe this man will fix it.

I am trying to give you valid reasons.....do you think Big Sam should be sacked.

you are letting your anger at the performances get the better of you and dismissing the rationale required for an experienced football manager time to correct it.

Why hasn't Bruce addressed the basics during match day, movement, goalkeeper distribution the utterly depressing thrown ins where we throw it down the line for a flick on usually to one of their defenders, the huge gaps between the midfield and striker(s) as we sit far too deep. He has had 4 months.

We lack any kind of identity and he needs to stamp his on the team, if he does the desenters will soon get back on side, if he doesn't the moaning will get louder and harsher.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Xela said:

Barring a disaster, like being thumped in the next 5or 6 games, then Bruce is here until at the least the end of the season and I welcome that

This bloke has 4 promotions to his name, including last season with a worse squad of players. He has a history of doing what he needs to get out of this division. I'm still confident we have the right man 

How many of the four promotions where with teams he relegated?  Not a knock at him just it might be easier to get a team promoted that you know inside out....

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

How many of the four promotions where with teams he relegated?  Not a knock at him just it might be easier to get a team promoted that you know inside out....

All the more reason to give him time to sort things - and get the team settled.

• Like 2

Just now, Eastie said:

All the more reason to give him time to sort things - and get the team settled.

Or realise he doesn't know how to put it right....Let's see how he gets on between now and the end of the season, for me he has to earn the right to have a crack next season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Time for the sake of it, I agree, is pointless.  

I come in peace

We agree on something.

Bruce's time's up imho

But that's not the case here.

I think the club, and Dr X all but confirmed it, made a calculated change in tactics in january to revamp the team and run the risk of taking a backwards step before improving.  

But we still played hoofball the last 2 games - nothing has changed only names on the teamsheet

I think if we'd been a couple of points off the playoffs in January, we wouldn't have seen so much upheaval.  

what upheaval?

we needed to sign more players the last window, we knew that before RDM was sacked. And now we know that for the next window we'll need 

2x GK (Nr1 + Backup)

CB

LB if Amavi goes

1x DM if Jedi can play 46 games injury & suspension free next season - if not, 2DM's

Its a continuum now - the upheaval was these last 2 windows and we still have Richards & Gaby

As a result the team IS going to take time to settle. I know some people seem to deny this is the case, but it's inevitable.

We'd all identified midfield was the biggest piece to fix. We've addressed it, but by buying an entirely new midfield. That will take time to come good.

Words fail me

The Professional footballers we brought in all playing better for their previous clubs than the shit they are replacing (not difficult I know) need time to go from being as shit as those they're replacing to resemble form they showed at their previous clubs?

So they need time?

WTF?

We've bought players from either

A superior league

Superior teams in this league

or teams in this league we couldnt f****** beat

ffs!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Why hasn't Bruce addressed the basics during match day, movement, goalkeeper distribution the utterly depressing thrown ins where we throw it down the line for a flick on usually to one of their defenders, the huge gaps between the midfield and striker(s) as we sit far too deep. He has had 4 months.

We lack any kind of identity and he needs to stamp his on the team, if he does the desenters will soon get back on side, if he doesn't the moaning will get louder and harsher.

If I knew the answer to all that.....I would have his job.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

But its like pushing water up a hill.

2 hours ago, Villastine said:

FFS,  can people please get it into their heads that Bruce,  like any new manager,  needs time.

It seems to be an alien concept to some Villa fans that it might be worth waiting a while before writing off a manager.  

Such a patronising post.

Maybe if we'd have seen some form of improvement in the last 4 months we'd agree it's worth waiting. 

However, it's constantly turgid horseshit being dished up and bar a piece of magic from grealish or kodjia and we'd be in a pretty similar position to that that RDM had us.

In addition to the utterly dreadful performances and results, his consistent mind boggling decisions have not helped the thought that he's the man.

Managers need to time to get it right. Not to look like they might get it right. No two ways about it we should be seeing sustained improvement by now if not in results then in performance, organisation, graft or identity.

Instead it's the same toothless garbage that I for one have grown absolutely sick to the back teeth of the last 6/7 years.

I want 11 players on the field who look like they have some form of idea wtf is going on... The right man would have done this by now Imo.

• Like 4

Â