• Cissokho
    • McCormack
    • Amavi (McCormack 45)
    • Bacuna (De Laet 67)
    • Gardner (Gestede 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Just just need a better center midfield.  Tish + Jed will be fine, will be able to alleviate pressure from the defenders.  I'm no Westwood or Gardner hater, but they don't offer much protection apart from a couple of interceptions and okay passing.  When teams "go for us" they're just not physical enough opponents.

• Like 3

The way the fans were last night was no different to any other teams fans. We kid ourselves sometimes that what happens with Villa doesn't happen anywhere else or is unique .  It was stifling hot but the atmosphere was fine. Good earlier post Scott which is a smashing summary.

i thought we were poor throughout apart from a couple of chances. Jedinak looks calming but can't do it on his own. kodjia looks a real problem for opposition defences and Ayew in a better team would be sensational . We aren't getting promoted this season, no way. Our midfield is non existent 

So seems from people that were there that the MF is the issue , well what a surprise I'm sure if you go back through the transfer thread many of us where saying the same thing.

The comments about lack of legs is a very good one , in modern game you need physicality and atheism in midfield we have none.Playing with Westwood and Jedinek you are not going to get them supporting the attackers , attackers who are all being played at same time with no real cohesion.Also seems RDM has got for the tried and tested plan of playing the big immobile Gestede hoping he will bring others into game which we all know is not his game at all.Ayew can run at a defence but instead of him going at the CB's he is out wide taking on fullbacks to find an empty box to cross into 

12 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Shocking tactics

Lady luck is clearly not to blame how can you have four forwards playing yet struggle to score a goal

Rdm was far too negative in his tactics - he is regularly getting outdone at half time by opposition managers and the tactics seemed to be to try and hold onto a one nil lead - this is not good enough and defeat to Ipswich and Newcastle will see many turn on rdm in my opinion - he has the tools and players he wanted - now go out and make it happen .

Already hearing Steve Bruce being mentioned and the pressure will grow on rdm until results come 

11 hours ago, TRO said:

What comes first the chicken or the egg....and what happens when you play behind closed doors.

The fans are not the problem....The way the team is set up is.

I think we disagree which is the chicken and which is the egg.

How much evidence does one need over X number of years as to what happens when the fans do not support the team.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

37 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I think we disagree which is the chicken and which is the egg.

How much evidence does one need over X number of years as to what happens when the fans do not support the team.

We're the fans at fault for the equaliser? 

Didn't see last nights game but reading forums and this morning's reports there seems to be an inbalance to the the team.

A two man midfield isn't working when the defence comes under the cosh. Not enough physicality there and I'm not sure Jedinak is the answer either with Tish.

It should have been obvious to a blind man that when Gana was sold the villa needed a  direct replacement. It's not ideal to sign a midfielder on his last contract or one that has previously been injury prone and expect them to form a reliable engine to the rest of the team. At the moment Villa seem to be running on a half filled tank of petrol and when that is almost used up there's nothing left in the battery to see the car home. 

Having watched the Villa a few times this season I am unimpressed with Elphick. Very slow and has a mistake in him. If you put that together with a poor midfield then Villa really have a soft centre which is being exposed. Not sure it's anything to do with a weak mentality.

Don't think Di Matteo has got the balance right in his signings. Could have forsaken McCormack for a fit box to box physical midfielder. By all accounts there was a young lad playing for Brenford last night who ran the show and that's exactly what Villa are missing at the moment. Must do better or Di Matteo will soon be out of a job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

So seems from people that were there that the MF is the issue , well what a surprise I'm sure if you go back through the transfer thread many of us where saying the same thing.

The comments about lack of legs is a very good one , in modern game you need physicality and atheism in midfield we have none.Playing with Westwood and Jedinek you are not going to get them supporting the attackers , attackers who are all being played at same time with no real cohesion.Also seems RDM has got for the tried and tested plan of playing the big immobile Gestede hoping he will bring others into game which we all know is not his game at all.Ayew can run at a defence but instead of him going at the CB's he is out wide taking on fullbacks to find an empty box to cross into 

Can't agree. If anything what we need is more belief imo.

• Like 1

I honestly think we are over analysing a lot of our problems with the team.

We are playing in the championship now, this is a league where at least half the teams really aren't anything special, you don't need sports psychologists and intricate formations to win in the championship, maybe at the top level of the game in champions league etc.. that is the difference between good and the best but not in this league.

You basically need 11 blokes who are committed to the cause, obviously added talent helps but we clearly have this as well as most of this team arep roven championship players who were considered the best at their respective clubs or at least leaders. In terms of formation I'm sure a bog standard 4 - 4 - 2 would be enough with the players we have.

RDM has assembled one of the best squads in the league now and the buck has to stop with him. We probably are one midfielder short but there's only one person to blame for that.

Edited by AVFCDAN

13 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

So you can smuggle footage out for VT? Data protection smata protection!

Not me personally. You can get licensed Championship games recorded. It's available on the likes of Wyscout etc, it just costs £££. It's essential what scouts use.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

13 hours ago, dakid007 said:

People aren't going to like this but it's the FANS. They are poisonous. 

What utter ********. It's bad enough seeing my hard earned cash spent watching turgid, 2nd rate football, without being blamed for this catastrophy. What an ridiculous thing to say. 

Well, sadly for you, I, and 2,000 other fans will dragging our poisonous carcasses to Ipswich on Saturday. See you there? 

2 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I've rewatched the game entirely this morning and there is absolutely zero singing from five minutes after our goal.

I was singing after that and I don't sing on my own. I'm not trying to defend what was not a good atmosphere, but the only conclusion you can draw from your "rewatching" is that the microphones or producer didn't include the crowd noises.

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

I was singing after that and I don't sing on my own. I'm not trying to defend what was not a good atmosphere, but the only conclusion you can draw from your "rewatching" is that the microphones or producer didn't include the crowd noises.

You have pockets in the Holte but nothing coherent that doesn't dampen out after 10 seconds. As for actually getting the players up for it - that just didn't exist. Mates all said it was dire and they sit in the Holte.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

13 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

What utter ********. It's bad enough seeing my hard earned cash spent watching turgid, 2nd rate football, without being blamed for this catastrophy. What an ridiculous thing to say. 

Well, sadly for you, I, and 2,000 other fans will dragging our poisonous carcasses to Ipswich on Saturday. See you there? 

Sorry but people need to get this:

You're not a better fan if you spend hard-earned money (if that's what you're implying) but are to the detriment of the team. Not saying you are - I don't know you. But if people go to games to sit there and whine, even when we are **** winning, I would rather they save their cash and buy their wife a present or something.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

Just now, gilbertoAVFC said:

You have pockets in the Holte but nothing coherent that doesn't dampen out after 10 seconds. As for actually getting the players up for it - that just didn't exist. Mates all said it was dire and they sit in the Holte.

Where were you sat? Or is this just anecdotal? Could you get these friends to post? I sit in the front row of the Holte upstairs and I heard singing from behind me and below me. Not much, but it was there.

I have to say that I'm impressed your boss lets you sit and watch a whole football match at work. Any jobs going?

• Like 1

Â