International Football General Chat

villa4europe

On 28/03/2021 at 13:53, StefanAVFC said:

The overwhelming lowlight was Harry Kane's completely free roaming role. As if no one else is allowed the ball. word removed, hope he picks up a knock and misses the Euros.

It's funny how full of himself he's become in recent years. Used to be one of the most humble players. He thinks he's **** Ronaldinho now.

Comparing Lewandowski to Kane is a bit like comparing Cristiano Ronaldo to Raheem Sterling.

Both excellent, but not really in the same league of achievement or ability. 

36 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Comparing Lewandowski to Kane is a bit like comparing Cristiano Ronaldo to Raheem Sterling.

Both excellent, but not really in the same league of achievement or ability. 

I don't think that's how ITVs comparison is going to go... 

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Is this guy for real? He’s still got an incredible squad. Woeful, club manager and even worse internationally. Mount hasn’t been at U21s for a couple of years. Just excuses on top of excuses. 

Failure

“England Under-21 manager Aidy Boothroyd believes it is not possible to succeed in the role, as his side face a second successive group-stage exit from the European Championship.

Defeats against Switzerland and Portugal mean England must beat Croatia to have any chance of reaching this summer's quarter-finals.

"The England senior men's job was called the impossible job," he said.

"The England U21 team is the utterly impossible job."

Boothroyd, who led the under-21s to the last four in 2017, said the way the England international set-up is structured limits the chances of the U21s winning tournaments.

"It's not possible to win at all levels," said Boothroyd. 

"Part of the reason we haven't won this for 37 years is [that the under-21s' role is] to get players to the first team." 

Fourteen players who represented England in the 2017 and 2019 tournaments have since featured for the full international side, including Mason Mount, who has played in England's past seven games, and Phil Foden............”

These guys really think they’re training Mount and Foden, same with Southgate and his comments on Grealish ‘learning to press’ under him.

You’re Summer Camp Counsellors, lads.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

He maybe has a point, other nations bring through players at different speeds and it will be interesting to see which players play u21s and the big boys tournaments, Portugal have a couple, he knows what he's doing and will get some sympathy from the boys club for this 

But that's a massive diversion away from looking at the talent he has at his disposal and how shit he has them playing, if we were falling short in the quarters or semis or even final then his point would be stronger, losing 3 group games and looking poor doing so and the excuse is too much

He has had foden and Mount in his squads before and was shit so what is there to suggest that if he had them now they wouldn't still be shit? 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's funny how full of himself he's become in recent years. Used to be one of the most humble players. He thinks he's **** Ronaldinho now.

Aye. One of the best striker of a ball in the league and most intelligent forward dropping into pockets and picking out passes for the benefit of the shite team he plays in.

The **** bellend.

Edited by rodders0223

England v Poland: Declan Rice says Gareth Southgate's side are 'entertaining'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56586894

Declan Rice believes England are an "entertaining team to watch", after critics suggested Gareth Southgate's side are too cautious.

The West Ham player once again partnered Leeds' Kalvin Phillips as holding midfielders in England's 2-0 win over Albania last weekend.

"I think in Gareth's mind you can't go too attacking," the 22-year-old said.

"You can't go all out all the time because the opposition have got quality and can hurt you."

Although the tactics paid off against Albania, a similar game plan failed to do so in two Uefa Nations League games against Denmark last year, which ended in a goalless draw and defeat. It was Rice and Phillips who also started in those matches.

"No-one kicks up a fuss, we all go out there and know our jobs," Rice told BBC Radio 5 Live on the eve of Wednesday's World Cup qualifying game against Poland.

"There is a lot of talk around not needing two holding midfielders, why not playing six attackers? I kind of understand why the manager sometimes doesn't do that. There has to be that balance between the two." 

Rice said England's system helps the side enjoy more possession of the ball and that there were "a lot of things to be positive about".

"We have control of the ball, we try to move the ball really quickly, try to shift the teams from side to side and then look for openings," he said.

"I think we are a really entertaining team to watch. I think people complain all the time and say that we are not, but I think we have really improved as a group over the past couple of years."

Rice has flourished at West Ham this season, helping the side to fifth in the Premier League. He said he does not want to solely be recognised as a holding midfielder who breaks up play.

"If there is one thing that I could say that I have improved on the most this season it would be trying to take the team up the pitch a bit with the ball," he said.

"I think as a midfielder you always get labelled for always just passing it, keeping the ball moving and doing the dirty work. I don't want to just be labelled as that.

"[Former Manchester City midfielder] Yaya Toure is the one I've studied.

"I think he was probably the best at that, recognising when to pass and play short balls. Also recognising when there was space, to step into it and drive the team up the pitch."

Astonishing.

• Like 1

the obvious response to that is that he knows its him or phillips for the chop so he has to toe the party line and say its working

the other is that he doesnt want to solely be recognised as a holding midfielder who breaks up play...sorry but thats exactly what he is, he's not a ball playing DMC in a month of sundays, i dont think he even keeps the ball moving that well, thats why phillips is there alongside him, he's like a better nakamba, looks ok in games where you're under the cosh but in a 60% possession game what does he actually do? we're constantly told how great it is that maguire and stones are ball playing CBs (!) in possession vs the likes of albania they can play where rice does, rice can push further up and then he's lost, he is a million miles away from yaya toure, i think he is one of the worst "good" DMCs ive seen for making himself open to receive a pass

also think you can fall in to the trap of thinking high possession dominating games equals attacking football, it doesnt, vs albania we had 71% possession, probably good territory stats too but it was ponderous and slow, it was the typical "vs better teams this wont be good enough" performance that we've seen hundreds of times from different england players and thats why its boring

and then lee dixon talks over it...

My favourite quote from that is 

"There is a lot of talk around not needing two holding midfielders, why not playing six attackers? I kind of understand why the manager sometimes doesn't do that. There has to be that balance between the two." 

So, when are we gonna strike a balance and not play 2 holding midfielders in order to be so defensive?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

England v Poland: Declan Rice says Gareth Southgate's side are 'entertaining'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56586894

Astonishing.

Like all England players he’ll probably talk about how amazing the spirit is in the team and everyone gets on so well.

They when he retires he’ll do a book and have a full chapter about how everyone hated each other and just stayed in their rooms the whole time. Pointing at the fact it’s probably why they never won anything too.

Every single England squad is the same.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Aye. One of the best striker of a ball in the league and most intelligent forward dropping into pockets and picking out passes for the benefit of the shite team he plays in.

The **** bellend.

He's not dropping into pockets though is he? He's gone full Rooney and essentially just plays midfield now. He used to be smart and picked and chose his moments, but now he starts at the center circle by default.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He's not dropping into pockets though is he? He's gone full Rooney and essentially just plays midfield now. He used to be smart and picked and chose his moments, but now he starts at the center circle by default.

Its like he is auditioning for a transfer to Man City :detect:

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Kane spoke about it after the Albania game, it’s really odd. He was saying he started coming deep (ooo err) for England a while ago and it’s what he does now.

Question is why? He’s a lethal finisher, and we have plenty of people in midfield already. Is he too “big” to tell him they want him to do something different?

• Like 2

The worry is that he goes full Wayne Rooney and decides that nothing is happening up top so he's going to drop so deep that he's getting 5 yard passes from CBs

I don't think he's there yet, at the moment he's dropping in to space trying to pull a defender out of position and hoping a midfield runner goes in to that new space

He has Mount and foden both very capable of running past him

The thing is with the players England have they should be able to create stuff for kane, they should be able to unlock defenses... But the Albania game and a few others last year seriously looked like grealish or bust, its too slow and ponderous, passing for passings sake, overly cautious 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The worry is that he goes full Wayne Rooney and decides that nothing is happening up top so he's going to drop so deep that he's getting 5 yard passes from CBs

and like Rooney the coaching staff probably not brave enough to tell him to get back up top.

Edited by Genie

Â