Nintendo Switch

Chindie

On 11/07/2019 at 16:24, The_Rev said:

Nintendo took the 3D out of the 3DS and it worked. They know what they are doing.  

They did effectively rebrand that though - 2DS. A Switch that doesn't Switch is a bit of larger leap.

The Lite version isn't a surprise all in all though. A smaller, cheaper model is always part of Nintendo's development of it's portable consoles, and after the success of a more child friendly version of the 3DS in the 2DS, they were always going to strip back the more complex/breakable/underused features of the console and effectively realise a bare bones edition. It'll sell well.

It appears the CPU has been updated, as has been rumoured for a while, for power efficiency in the main, which has let them supposedly improve battery life whilst reducing the size of the battery. They are also going to begin using these chips in the standard machine, meaning the standard Switch will probably have a bit of a stealth 'upgrade' soon - which could mean new machines after that upgrade may have slightly better battery life.

It'll be interesting to see what they ultimately do with the standard machine. Nintendo has updated it's portable systems to improve their capabilities before now, even adding completely new features and full on power upgrades. The Switch is right at the point where you'd expect them to do that kind of update, but so far nothing. They haven't even given it a facelift, as they quickly did with the DS and 3DS. Unless they are treating it somewhat like their home consoles, which they have never followed the revamp model with (unlike Sony and Microsoft).

Civ 6 is on sale for 30 quid at the moment. I didn't pick it up at launch as I had a load of other games to play but at that price it's incredibly tempting.

(And might just get me back on my Switch)

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Civ 6 is on sale for 30 quid at the moment. I didn't pick it up at launch as I had a load of other games to play but at that price it's incredibly tempting.

(And might just get me back on my Switch)

Sweet! I'll get that. On the Eshop? 

Thanks for the heads up :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Sweet! I'll get that. On the Eshop? 

Thanks for the heads up :) 

No worries. Yeah it's on the eShop - Just bought it myself, it (The Switch version) has universally positive reviews and it's a game series I've always enjoyed so it's a no brainer at that price.

I think it should translate to the handheld quite nicely too.

Edited by Designer1

19 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

No worries. Yeah it's on the eShop - Just bought it myself, it (The Switch version) has universally positive reviews and it's a game series I've always enjoyed so it's a no brainer at that price.

I think it should translate to the handheld quite nicely too.

Brilliant, I'll get this when home 😁

• Like 1

20 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Brilliant, I'll get this when home 😁

Did you get it? 

First impressions are it's excellent and they've made a terrific job of converting it to console.

On 20/07/2019 at 11:07, Designer1 said:

Did you get it? 

First impressions are it's excellent and they've made a terrific job of converting it to console.

Not yet 😭 broadband provider has left me without internet till Monday, gutted, I had a weekend free for gaming and Stranger Things season 3 😭

When does the sale end?

had a quick look and kind of what I expected the switch lite is priced at 229 euros, the proper switch is remaining at 299 euros (ignoring bundles)

avoids the price drop that should happen at this stage of the consoles life cycle whilst at the same time introducing a relatively expensive hand held console, more than double the price of the 3DS

that's me out but im still interested to see what it does for Nintendo sales, as I said before I think them having a console and a hand held that can play the same games in the long run is a good thing for the company 

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If you were spending 229 on a switch lite I’m not sure why you wouldn’t just spend the extra 70 euros and buy a proper switch

I agree unless your short of money I don't see why you would either. They should price it around £100 cheaper 

Does it have a significantly better battery life than the full Switch?

If so then I guess that's a legitimate reason why you might go for the Lite, if you genuinely use it as a handheld a lot.

Other than that I don't see much argument against just saving up and getting the full version.

17 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Two Point Hospital, the spiritual successor to Theme Hospital, is coming to switch at the end of the year. Very excited to play this.

I think I might be the only person on the planet who has never played Theme Hospital.

Â