2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

56 minutes ago, RunRickyRun said:

I swear the beeb's athletics coverage gets worse. Why show live action when you can cut away from it and show 3 people in a studio talking or a showreel/interview recorded 3 months ago?

I've not strayed from the red button channels - made the mistake of switching over to BBC2 for the mens gymnastics finals then having to swtich between that and BBC1 about 15 times in the next 20 minutes.

I much prefer it, no cut aways to studio nonsense, no 15 minute soft-focus pre-made VT talking to one of the athlete's hairdressers, and even some action sans commentary at times.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Power to weight ratio not important in track cycling, you just need power output so bigger units will always be better.

:suspect:

The heavier the load the more power required to perform the work.

They don't make these bikes out of carbon fibre and remove the brakes and gears for the fun of it :P

5 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

:suspect:

The heavier the load the more power required to perform the work.

They don't make these bikes out of carbon fibre and remove the brakes and gears for the fun of it :P

They're made out of carbon fibre because it's the best overall material for a variety of reasons, weight isn't high on the list compared to strength and aerodynamics. Do you really think track bikes need brakes and gears?

Power to weight only becomes a factor during acceleration. To maintain speed, the weight doesn't really come into it. Therefore, as I said, power to weight not important in track cycling. See the low weight of road climbers vs the build of Chris Hoy / Robert Forstemann etc.

8 minutes ago, darrenm said:

They're made out of carbon fibre because it's the best overall material for a variety of reasons, weight isn't high on the list compared to strength and aerodynamics. Do you really think track bikes need brakes and gears?

Power to weight only becomes a factor during acceleration. To maintain speed, the weight doesn't really come into it. Therefore, as I said, power to weight not important in track cycling. See the low weight of road climbers vs the build of Chris Hoy / Robert Forstemann etc.

Which is absolutely critical in track cycling. 

These guys are very rarely at top speed. It's all about maximum power and minimum weight.

How can you even argue this? It's basic physics. 

I'm sorry we'll have to agree to disagree. In certain track disciplines acceleration will be important but the majority of cases are still more dependant on max power output. I'm not sure how you can argue against the basic physics of weight not being a significant factor when up to speed. 

Weight makes next to no difference when travelling at a constant speed. It will provide greater contact friction from more tyre deflection but this isn't significant. 

E.g. in the team pursuit, the majority of the time is spent at a constant speed. The initial acceleration is out of the way quickly. Once at speed, the vast majority of power is used pushing air out of the way. Taking greater contact friction out of it, if I was 200kg and you were 100kg yet I was pushing 500w and you 250w, I would be twice as fast. Hence, power to weight ratio isn't important in track cycling, it's all about power. This is the basic physics, have a read up.

some biggies up in the next 4 hours in a repeat of london 2012's super saturday.

Ennis in heptathlon javelin from 1 o clock (KJT is in group one starting at midnight but her javelin isn't much better than her shot put)

Greg Rutherford long jump final starts just before 1 & Mo Farah goes for the 10,000 at 1.27

Womens 100m final is at 2.37 (mens final is at the same time in 24 hours) and if you're staying up for the heptathlon conclusion the final 800m race is due off at 3.18

Â