Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The council will be caught in NSWE’s bright shiny headlights. They’ll be made to look good and maybe offered positions in rich corporate entities. Everyone’s a winner. 

The council will be worried about a Euro 2028 where there are games in London, Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff and not in Birmingham. The Euro 2028 thing really works in our favour here - the city's reputation is on the line.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The council will be worried about a Euro 2028 where there are games in London, Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff and not in Birmingham. The Euro 2028 thing really works in our favour here - the city's reputation is on the line.

Historically when has that ever motivated them to do something good for the city so far?

7 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Historically when has that ever motivated them to do something good for the city so far?

They allowed us to move the road back and knock down some houses to build the Witton Lane Stand in the run up to Euro 96 and gave the planning permission for the Holte End at the same time.

Their contribution might not have been much more than some permissions and giving up some housing, but half our stadium was constructed to coincide with the last time we held the Euros.

• Like 1

Here’s a mock up of a 19k seat mega Kop … vs our current north stand for a dream holte end  … credit https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/liverpool-anfield-stadium-54-074-61-000.210414/page-784 

If the new North stand isn’t a wrap around of the trinity & is stand alone. I’d like to see it paying homage to the current stands shorter bottom tier x2 level of exec seats & hospitality spaces, and then a large top tier… 

7EF60973-2306-42D0-AB32-2EE277C8DD6E.jpeg

AC06035A-971D-44E3-8B71-95E8D9754CB4.webp

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

If the new North stand isn’t a wrap around of the trinity & is stand alone. I’d like to see it paying homage to the current stands shorter bottom tier x2 level of exec seats & hospitality spaces, and then a large top tier…

The profiling will be interesting - I think they might go with a three tier stand where the entire middle tier is hospitality seating. As you point out though, a lot will depend on how they match it to the Trinity Road Stand.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

Have you driven through Perry Barr in the last 2 years? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I might be wrong here but most of their big city plan will be finished by then too? 

They will have something to show off after near 20 years of planning and construction 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm bored and it's Easter and I've been thinking about everything I've read and heard about the stadium thus far, so I decided to try a footprint drawing thing. I've based it on the descriptions of the two main buildings, the talk about the transport links and the area and my own fevered dreams. 

I've had a guess at the footprints of the stand and of the box park thing, where I think there might be public realm improvements (new paving, street furniture, kerbs, road surfacing etc) and one of the possibilities for the council in terms of opening up the rail links with a direct pedestrian corridor/public square that takes you directly off the platform at Witton station and onto what will be a fantastic view of Villa Park - there's also scope there for a bridge/tunnel leading through to the new academy building which would bring it into play as a feature on matchdays.

The big pink arrow is the seldom used entrance onto Witton Road which I think could be used as a players/officials entrance to enable the whole of the new public realm area to be pedestrianised on matchdays.

To stress, I made this myself, it's complete guesswork based on what we already know - there's no ITK here!

And yes, I do think the box park thing might be that big!

Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 11.23.17.png

The one building that is a bit of a fly in the ointment is the women's refuge, between the Aston Hotel at Witton Island and the site itself - it'll be a sensitive one, but I'd love the club to be able to find the right way to relocate that facility so that we could make the Aston Hotel feel like part of Villa Park in the same way that The Holte pub does at the other end of the ground.

It would never happen but if we had the outline below it'd be perfect as perfect can be.

46EB2222-3D33-42BC-B457-F2F9CFE056D3.jpeg.c056aac4995ddb30220397f84b38c6b3.jpeg

maybe not the 5 a side pitches. I think then we can do like some of the American style grounds with big stadium and big non match day attractions too. But I stress it won’t happen. 

• Like 1

It would be amazing if we were able to buy all of the housing between the Witton Lane stand and the railway, but hugely expensive and politically very difficult.

We've actually already got stuff on your map that you haven't included - that bit at the top is where the new academy is going and is already ours.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It would be amazing if we were able to buy all of the housing between the Witton Lane stand and the railway, but hugely expensive and politically very difficult.

We've actually already got stuff on your map that you haven't included - that bit at the top is where the new academy is going and is already ours.

If you look at Satellite Images of Anfield on Google it's clear that many streets surrounding it have been redeveloped with the Victorian Terraces cleared and modern homes built in their place. 

Not sure if this is because of Liverpool or general redevelopment (Liverpool still had lot of 2 ups to 2 downs much worse than the remaining Victorian homes around VP) but it shows that whole blocks can be removed and rebuilt with better housing stock creating more space. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The one building that is a bit of a fly in the ointment is the women's refuge, between the Aston Hotel at Witton Island and the site itself - it'll be a sensitive one, but I'd love the club to be able to find the right way to relocate that facility so that we could make the Aston Hotel feel like part of Villa Park in the same way that The Holte pub does at the other end of the ground.

I've been thinking about this building. 

It can't be at all ideal for a charity to operate as accommodation. It must be draughty, expensive to heat and maintain, tricky roof etc. 

I'm sure the club could buy some land somewhere and build a bespoke facility which would provide better accommodation and be cheaper for the charity to maintain and heat. 

That or buy a more suitable building and convert it for them. 

Christ, the owners could do this out of their own pockets for some loose change as a charitable act. I'm sure they give away substantial amounts each year, have their own foundations and so on. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Having routinely dealt with the civil service in a completely separate area of property it used to provide me great comfort when planning colleagues described similar frustrations, but with the added pain of public consultations.

Some of the stuff I was told the public put forward as issues convinced me it's impossible to get a community fully on board with any change. I'd like to think most people living in sight of Villa Park will be fans though.

I would like to think so too, but I doubt that too many actually are. I think that we ended up funding that small "park/basketball" area next to the Witton Lane/Scottish Stand, in an attempt to placate local residents, who were far from happy with that building work being carried out in the 90s.  

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes, quite often and then very, very, very slowly :D. I accept that it could well be very nice when/if, it is ever actually finished, but it does seem to have been being worked on by the smallest imaginable number of workmen, given the size of the project, since I was a lad (and that's been a long, long time ago;)). 

52 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It can't be at all ideal for a charity to operate as accommodation. It must be draughty, expensive to heat and maintain, tricky roof etc. 

The older building probably is, but the accommodation block (the one that's in the way) isn't more than a few years old. 

The original old building that faces onto Witton Road is lovely, I'm not sure what it used to be but it's got the beautiful Dutch gabling that was once the hallmark of the Trinity Road Stand and some lovely architectural features.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The older building probably is, but the accommodation block (the one that's in the way) isn't more than a few years old. 

The original old building that faces onto Witton Road is lovely, I'm not sure what it used to be but it's got the beautiful Dutch gabling that was once the hallmark of the Trinity Road Stand and some lovely architectural features.

The clues in the name. Aston Hotel. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I live in great barr. So yes.i have every day for years and have to deal with the result of their ill thought out plans and decisions every single day, despite opposition to their choices.

There refusal to answer logical sensible questions in local forums speaks volumes about them as an organisation.. incompetent and probably corrupted to the core. 

Yeah i am not a fan.

Edited by Pissflaps

15 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I live in great barr. So yes.i have every day for years and have to deal with the result of their ill thought out plans and decisions every single day, despite opposition to their choices.

There refusal to answer logical sensible questions in local forums speaks volumes about them as an organisation.. incompetent and probably corrupted to the core. 

Yeah i am not a fan.

Oh, are you one of those NIMBYS who campaigned against the Tram going down there despite the fact that it would increase house prices, reduce traffic congestion, lead to greater regeneration and help save the planet....... Basically because? 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Oh, are you one of those NIMBYS who campaigned against the Tram going down there despite the fact that it would increase house prices, reduce traffic congestion, lead to greater regeneration and help save the planet....... Basically because? 

No I wasn't. Don't assume. Your making yourself look idiotic.

My debate was over smashing down a perfectly good flyover and to replace it with a series of lights which in fact increase pollution. They refused to provide there traffic management simulation examples to my face at a supposed open forum where we could ask questions, to show the millions of pounds of cost and travel disruption would be at least EQUAL the current travel times. Why? Because it will be actually worse. And why was it knocked down? The council leader visited once and said it looked ugly..yet of course he doesn't live there and have to deal with years of disruption as a result.

And to reply to your snarky comments. No I thought the tram would have been a far better and greener solution. But of course that didn't happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

No I wasn't. Don't assume. Your making yourself look idiotic.

I didn't assume anything, I asked a question. Not sure how that makes me look idiotic. 

Just now, sidcow said:

I didn't assume anything, I asked a question. Not sure how that makes me look idiotic. 

Your words suggested that what you thought..either way we can agree the council are incompetent tits yes?

Â