Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

17 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The repurposed Warehouse is far more in keeping IMO and honours Brums industrial past - cannot wait for its completion. I’d expect that further buildings would follow the same industrial aesthetic with red brick with arched & crittall windows. 

Is the Warehouse basically that academy building where they have the kids zone before the match? If so, I assume the outside will largely just stay the same and some bars and food areas put inside it? 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Is the Warehouse basically that academy building where they have the kids zone before the match? If so, I assume the outside will largely just stay the same and some bars and food areas put inside it? 

Yep indeed it is … I meant additional future buildings as a continuation of the Birmingham industrial aesthetic in general … timeless & more befitting to the area. 

On 02/05/2024 at 11:13, thabucks said:

Yep indeed it is … I meant additional future buildings as a continuation of the Birmingham industrial aesthetic in general … timeless & more befitting to the area. 

I was in the Gordon Cowans suite before the game on Thursday and apparently that is staying but with just a lick of paint and no entry fee. According to the bar staff anyway.

Posted (edited)

Sorry to open this can of worms again!

Just rewatched the redevelopment video on YouTube. It was uploaded before Christmas 2022. Then on 19 July 2023 they posted a new video on the club website detailing the updated plans with the warehouse in place of Villa Live. Then, as we know, 5 months later it emerged it was all on hold.

It's just so odd that they would go to the bother of updating the video and announcing an update to the plans last July and then just defer it 5 months later.

Maybe this truly was just a communication cock up (a big one) and we have merely been looking into a way of minimising the disruption while the build happens. Hopefully we find out more soon.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

On 04/05/2024 at 20:21, Villa_Vids said:

It seems like Andy Street has lost - will this affect re-development and witton station?

I guess with any new electee, they will come in and review current & proposed spending. It would be a good idea for the club to re-launch the ideas into the new Mayor (if possible) for his views. 

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Sorry to open this can of worms again!

Just rewatched the redevelopment video on YouTube. It was uploaded before Christmas 2022. Then on 19 July 2023 they posted a new video on the club website detailing the updated plans with the warehouse in place of Villa Live. Then, as we know, 5 months later it emerged it was all on hold.

It's just so odd that they would go to the bother of updating the video and announcing an update to the plans last July and then just defer it 5 months later.

Maybe this truly was just a communication cock up (a big one) and we have merely been looking into a way of minimising the disruption while the build happens. Hopefully we find out more soon.

But it’s not all on hold, the club have confirmed they are going ahead with the Warehouse and a bigger club store - it’s just the stand which is on hold ! 

37 minutes ago, thabucks said:

But it’s not all on hold, the club have confirmed they are going ahead with the Warehouse and a bigger club store - it’s just the stand which is on hold ! 

Aye but the stand is the thing we really meed to get done imho.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Aye but the stand is the thing we really meed to get done imho.

I agree to a point, but also trust they’ve looked at the bigger picture and what’s needs doing to improve the fan experience for all in terms of facilities and transportation - the whole ground needs bringing up to standard. They’ve made a start on The Holte this season, from the summer they will be undertaking improvement works to the Trinity. And who’s to say they aren’t working on studies right now for a New North Stand and/or Witton land development?

We now have an experienced board in place to oversee the project and review the previous proposals and take it from there. I’d much rather they pause and reassess and come up with an all encompassing coherent holistic regeneration approach to the whole area with Villa Park central to that. 

With the current facilities we are hamstrung by increasing revenue which is crucial due to * insert 3 letter abbreviation… Once that has been improved and we’re making more per seat then there is a solid business case to demolish the North Stand. The main issue is gunna be the Witton and how that can be redeveloped given the lack of space currently. This photo is from an away fan visiting VP… 

image.thumb.jpeg.2539a5949a1602efd2679763070b2251.jpeg
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/birmingham-uk-villa-park-42-660-45-660.1065537/page-27?post_id=188351786&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-188351786

17 hours ago, thabucks said:

I agree to a point, but also trust they’ve looked at the bigger picture and what’s needs doing to improve the fan experience for all in terms of facilities and transportation - the whole ground needs bringing up to standard. They’ve made a start on The Holte this season, from the summer they will be undertaking improvement works to the Trinity. And who’s to say they aren’t working on studies right now for a New North Stand and/or Witton land development?

We now have an experienced board in place to oversee the project and review the previous proposals and take it from there. I’d much rather they pause and reassess and come up with an all encompassing coherent holistic regeneration approach to the whole area with Villa Park central to that. 

With the current facilities we are hamstrung by increasing revenue which is crucial due to * insert 3 letter abbreviation… Once that has been improved and we’re making more per seat then there is a solid business case to demolish the North Stand. The main issue is gunna be the Witton and how that can be redeveloped given the lack of space currently. This photo is from an away fan visiting VP… 

image.thumb.jpeg.2539a5949a1602efd2679763070b2251.jpeg
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/birmingham-uk-villa-park-42-660-45-660.1065537/page-27?post_id=188351786&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-188351786

Yes but with the Euros in 2028 as a firm deadline we have probably blown our chance of getting it done this side of 2030 and capitalising on the Emery era to get more bums on seats. 2026 was the original timelime (actually 2025 was when it was first announced!).

4 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Anymore in there? Is paywalled

Just the bit about Lower Grounds that I’ve posted in the Lower Grounds thread.

The rest is about Chelsea and how Americans are taking over the Premier League. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Yes but with the Euros in 2028 as a firm deadline we have probably blown our chance of getting it done this side of 2030 and capitalising on the Emery era to get more bums on seats. 2026 was the original timelime (actually 2025 was when it was first announced!).

We could still start the almost year long preparatory works next season and then pull the stand down and still make the Euro’s deadline of 2027… I’m sure we could get dispensation if the ground isn’t quite finished by the start of the 27/28 season… 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

We could still start the almost year long preparatory works next season and then pull the stand down and still make the Euro’s deadline of 2027… I’m sure we could get dispensation if the ground isn’t quite finished by the start of the 27/28 season… 

Hopefully. If that's the case,  though, why not give a bit more info last December beyond 'we aren't doing that' and it was 'a bad idea' etc.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Sounds like  they could look at CPO’s surrounding VP in order to aid expansion and drive regeneration … Be interesting to know how many houses are owner occupied and how many are HMO as a vast swathe of houses from looking at google maps have been expanded into what were once gardens. If we remove houses from Nelson Road we could then build a larger North Stand and even extend the trinity road stand. Liverpools new end stand holds almost 17k and the main stand 20k. Both the North and Trinity under current plans would hold 13k each … 

Edited by thabucks

Â