Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Sorry, I cant agree with this. Villa could easily fill a stadium well in excess of 50k. Especially currently. The problem is logistics and room, not demand. 50k isn't nearly enough and we should be planning for 60k at least.
That said, 52k as a first phase is sensible.

Yeah not extending/upgrading OR rebuilding/building new for another 5 years plus would be a mistake imo.

I don't think this will be the case anyway, Aitoros, our partners and owners simply won't allow us to " stagnate " or be left behind off the pitch.

Bare in mind, as wonderful as they are, it's ultimately a Business Asset/Interest for them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I meant no offence

The numbers of NEW fans on the waiting list, I think most of them are members, who go to some games already. So I think a 50k ish capacity would be ok, anything bigger and I just don't think we'd fill it often enough.

Right, I see.
In my own experience,  I know a lot of people who are members - purely because its the only way to get tickets, but not on the waiting list. Many of these are parents of kids who want to go and so they go too. Many mates who are season ticket holders now have multiple kids who want season tickets, so yes they would be those who are members but want season tickets. My own extended family are mostly members who are happy to go to half the matches, a few existing season ticket holders.

I don't see why my experience would be unusual, therefore I reckon there's some who are members who are on the waiting list, but many more who are not. Like, maybe 10/90 split.
I hear from the club that there's over 35k on the waiting list. Now who knows how many follow through but most you'd think would or why bother?

There's no point going around the houses on this. You either think the demand is there for big crowds or you don't, but I do and I think the evidence supports it.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I think a huge chunk of the waiting list are family members or friends of existing season ticket holders. It's not like it's new fans who might need convincing. There's a huge backlog of fans who would have naturally become season ticket holders irrespective or what league or how well we are doing. 

Our season ticket limit is the highest it’s been and we’ve averaged top end of plus 40k for decades so I can’t agree with your point.  If we were struggling like we had been for decades or in the Championship then we would be struggling to fill Villa Park every week except for big games.

Just now, nick76 said:

Our season ticket limit is the highest it’s been and we’ve averaged top end of plus 40k for decades

Neither of those things are true. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah not extending/upgrading OR rebuilding/building new for another 5 years plus would be a mistake imo.

I think it'll be very difficult to carry out any major extension to Villa Park this side of the Euros in 2028. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think in terms of demand it's easy to overlook the demand that the league itself creates - more and more I'm seeing fans at Villa Park that are there to watch a Premier League game rather than just see Villa - fans from abroad as part of their holiday, fans who've come to see one of their nations players, fans who have picked Villa as their team and happen to be visiting the UK, people from all over the UK.

Our demand used to be based entirely on how many people in and around Birmingham support Villa - that's not what the Premier league is anymore - there are thousands of people in the UK who will add 'see a Premier league' game to their holiday or their birthday list - and they'll go to whoever is convenient - they don't necessarily 'only come to see the Villa'.

Eg -

A random matchday vlog from an overseas student in Brum.

Theres a big market for the 'Premier League' product, not necessarily who is playing but just 'Premier League football'. If we're successful at the same time - that'll only get better as we can also attract people that want to watch 'good' football, or follow success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Next season will be 3 and a half seasons on the waiting list for me. Last year I went from in the 11 thousands to the 10 thousands. The demand is definitely there to fill 50k+ 

I can’t agree, I had family members easily get new season tickets in the summer of 2019 and had the pick of many places in the ground.  That was only eighteen months before you went on the list and then suddenly we had a raft of people wanting season tickets.  When it’s in very short supply people want it but when readily available it’s not so much in demand.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it'll be very difficult to carry out any major extension to Villa Park this side of the Euros in 2028. 

Then ditch the Euros if needs be … what do we gain from it ? The council who’ve not always been supportive have a vested interest for sure yet all they can do is muster a task force and look into upgrading the stations rather than commit out right and get on with it. I guess it will help our brand somewhat 

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Neither of those things are true. 

Eh?  Our 33k season limit is the highest for decades isn’t it?

As for average attendance, my apologies it was materially  below an average of 40k

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Eh?  Our 33k season limit is the highest for decades isn’t it?

As for average attendance, my apologies it was materially  below an average of 40k

It was up at close to 30k a few years ago I think, it's been allowed to gently regress since then and I believe it's about 27k now - I'm sure I noted the actual figure down at a meeting at some point. If we had 33k we'd be struggling, that would leave us with about 3,000 (non-hospitality) tickets available to members on any given matchday.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Then ditch the Euros if needs be … what do we gain from it ? The council who’ve not always been supportive have a vested interest for sure yet all they can do is muster a task force and look into upgrading the stations rather than commit out right and get on with it. I guess it will help our brand somewhat 

I think the commitment to the FA (and Government) would leave us in a sticky spot if we pulled out now - it's not beyond the realms of possibility I guess, if Mr Heck thinks it's right for us, he'll do it, he's not one for backing down to anyone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It was up at close to 30k a few years ago I think, it's been allowed to gently regress since then and I believe it's about 27k now - I'm sure I noted the actual figure down at a meeting at some point. If we had 33k we'd be struggling, that would leave us with about 3,000 (non-hospitality) tickets available to members on any given matchday.

Really?  I thought I’d seen many times our season tickets were 33k but I cede to your knowledge on it.  Apologies on that. As you say I was wrong on both….you learn something knew every day.  

Just been looking at our average attendances over the last couple of decades and it truly amazing that with an average crowds for decades struggling to getting close to capacity with mid thirty thousands crowds that we now “supposedly”have 35k season ticket waiting list.

• Like 1

I am clinging to the unlikely hope they have found a way to do the North Stand in a shorter time frame. Unlikely I know.

I loved that Villa Park hosted aeuro 96 games,  and the Cup Winners Cup final in 1999. It definitely adds to the image of the club.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really?  I thought I’d seen many times our season tickets were 33k but I cede to your knowledge on it.  Apologies on that. As you say I was wrong on both….you learn something knew every day.  

Just been looking at our average attendances over the last couple of decades and it truly amazing that with an average crowds for decades struggling to getting close to capacity with mid thirty thousands crowds that we now “supposedly”have 35k season ticket waiting list.

The change of ownership, then manager is the key. For most of my life we've had a bad owner and bad managers. Every time we've had a change in ownership and a good manager (as perceived at the time) the crowds have been good. We've got both now, again and because the Gerrard mistake was short lived enough, no harm was done. Like fans everywhere hope is what fills the ground and creates the demand. As a big club in a big city in a densely populated part of the country a ground able to accommodate the level of support a moderately successful (or better) team is essential.  Aside from the limited and dated nature of 2 of the stands, expansion and redevelopment is necessary just to help stay competitive.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

The change of ownership, then manager is the key. For most of my life we've had a bad owner and bad managers. Every time we've had a change in ownership and a good manager (as perceived at the time) the crowds have been good. We've got both now, again and because the Gerrard mistake was short lived enough, no harm was done. Like fans everywhere hope is what fills the ground and creates the demand. As a big club in a big city in a densely populated part of the country a ground able to accommodate the level of support a moderately successful (or better) team is essential.  Aside from the limited and dated nature of 2 of the stands, expansion and redevelopment is necessary just to help stay competitive.

Well I hope you are right and we do redevelop significantly.  I’m not keen to move away but redeveloping and modernising I’d love. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I can’t agree, I had family members easily get new season tickets in the summer of 2019 and had the pick of many places in the ground.  That was only eighteen months before you went on the list and then suddenly we had a raft of people wanting season tickets.  When it’s in very short supply people want it but when readily available it’s not so much in demand.

You don't need to agree, it's factual information. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

Right, I see.
In my own experience,  I know a lot of people who are members - purely because its the only way to get tickets, but on on the waiting list. Many of these are parents of kids who want to go and so they go too. May mates who are season ticket holders now have multiple kids who want season tickets, so yes they would be those who are members but want season tickets. My own extended family are mostly members who are happy to go to half the matches, a few existing season ticket holders.

I dont see why my experience would be unusual, therefore I reckon there's some who are member who are on the waiting list, but many more who are not. Like, maybe 10/90 split.
I hear from the club that there's over 35k on the waiting list. Now who knows how many follow through but most you'd think would or why bother?

There's no point go around the houses on this. You either think the demand is there for big crowds or you don't, but I do and I think the evidence supports it.

I know 3 people who are members in order to get casual tickets.  Which they're now finding harder and harder. 

I don't know anyone who is on the season ticket waiting list. So. That's 3 - 0 for my knowledge. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

This can't be underestimated. Not only is The Premier League a much bigger draw than ever it was before, but Aston Villa are a very different beast to what we've been in the last 20 years. You can't use anecdotal comments about what happened 5 or. 10 years ago to judge the present day.

And I see no reason why we'd regress, these owners are here to stay. If Emery goes they'll go out and get another really good manager.  We're going to be around the top of the league, in Europe and probably winning the odd cup or two for the foreseeable now.  And all the while interest and probably memberships and season ticket waiting lists will be growing. 

• Like 3

Â