Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

13 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

OK, here goes.

The plans haven't been torn up? The plans for the stadium are the same and we now have a timeline for its construction. The change was to the Villa Live building and the content mix within, and imo (and many others on here and other media apparently) it is more in keeping with a Birmingham aesthetic and is actually an improvement on what was a glorified cube that took away from the majesty of the new North Stand of our historic stadium. 

Villa have just made 3 landmark appointments in the most important roles aside from the owners within the business. These three individuals are at the elite level in their respective positions. That doesn't smack of farce to me? That smacks of progress and righting the wrongs of the past decades that we've had to put up with as you say. There were various reasons why Purslow went, but for me it was mostly because there were better personnel available to take us forward. 

The fact that our new commercial lead has decided to put our crest redesign on temporary review sits absolutely fine with me if it means that the long term we have a strong, coherent brand which is better than we had before and meets our strategic objectives and portrays our club ethos. In his introductory meeting with the fans, Heck said he would be laying out more details of his plans to take us forward (including timelines) in due course, again, transparency. 

Also, it is exceptionally hard to get these things right. If it were easy, every bloody club would be nailing it, but they're not are they? Most are in the bin with fanbases literally baying for their owners heads or executives resignations with player bases on over inflated wages and hampered by debt and financial constraints. I would say that as a club we are doing things better than 98% of the rest of European clubs including those in the Premier League. Be careful what you wish for.

Farce?... If you are calling this current ownership and management team a farce, then I can only dream of what you must have thought of Dr. Tinpot who genuinely had no money, could even leverage money out of China, took us to the brink of oblivion and communicated to the fanbase through a series of cryptic emojis while the fat controller posed for photos at his desk.  

For f**ks sake, only 15 years ago we had an ex-army general on our god-damned board. Now THAT was a farce. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

The slight disappointment is that the owners are spending all this money on Villa Park and the exterior of the Trinity will still look worse than my local Dunelm.  I’m not suggesting we dress the thing in gables but get rid of some rusting metal. 😢

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Does anyone have the planning application reference for the revised plans?

48 minutes ago, andycv said:

They haven't been put up on the website yet, so far as I can see.  It normally takes about 7 days or so between plans being registered and put up on the city council's website

We’ve submitted a non-material amendment under reference 2023/04613/PA but that is for very minor tweaks, the changes mentioned by the club here look to be more significant so will likely need either a new application or to vary the plans approved under the previous permission. 

I can’t see an updated application (other than the NMA) on the Councils website, but that could be for loads of reasons. Perhaps it’s awaiting validation, or registration, or perhaps it literally went in today/yesterday. 

Usually an online record gets created straight away, but it depends what planning software Birmingham City use. 

8 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

The slight disappointment is that the owners are spending all this money on Villa Park and the exterior of the Trinity will still look worse than my local Dunelm.  I’m not suggesting we dress the thing in gables but get rid of some rusting metal. 😢

Im sure they mentioned something about tidying up this as part of the revamping of the entrance tunnel. Or I assumed they would do something about them anyway.

1 hour ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I think it will look better with the redeveloped stand. Currently, the Trinity stand suddenly stops with a large amount of perspex at the end, and around the back is the corner flag restaurant, which is hardly award-winning architecture. It was always designed to connect up to a redeveloped north stand, it has just taken about 25 years longer than expected. Finally having an integrated north/trinity stand almost softens the blow of the architectural vandalism in demolishing the 1924 version.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

OK, here goes.

Farce?... If you are calling this current ownership and management team a farce, then I can only dream of what you must have thought of Dr. Tinpot who genuinely had no money, could even leverage money out of China, took us to the brink of oblivion and communicated to the fanbase through a series of cryptic emojis while the fat controller posed for photos at his desk.  

Yeah but we would have had our Theme Park by now.

#NWSE out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steero113 said:

OK, here goes.

The plans haven't been torn up? The plans for the stadium are the same and we now have a timeline for its construction. The change was to the Villa Live building and the content mix within, and imo (and many others on here and other media apparently) it is more in keeping with a Birmingham aesthetic and is actually an improvement on what was a glorified cube that took away from the majesty of the new North Stand of our historic stadium. 

Villa have just made 3 landmark appointments in the most important roles aside from the owners within the business. These three individuals are at the elite level in their respective positions. That doesn't smack of farce to me? That smacks of progress and righting the wrongs of the past decades that we've had to put up with as you say. There were various reasons why Purslow went, but for me it was mostly because there were better personnel available to take us forward. 

The fact that our new commercial lead has decided to put our crest redesign on temporary review sits absolutely fine with me if it means that the long term we have a strong, coherent brand which is better than we had before and meets our strategic objectives and portrays our club ethos. In his introductory meeting with the fans, Heck said he would be laying out more details of his plans to take us forward (including timelines) in due course, again, transparency. 

Also, it is exceptionally hard to get these things right. If it were easy, every bloody club would be nailing it, but they're not are they? Most are in the bin with fanbases literally baying for their owners heads or executives resignations with player bases on over inflated wages and hampered by debt and financial constraints. I would say that as a club we are doing things better than 98% of the rest of European clubs including those in the Premier League. Be careful what you wish for.

For f**ks sake, only 15 years ago we had an ex-army general on our god-damned board. Now THAT was a farce. 

You know I wasn't calling "the current ownership and management team a farce", you naughty naughty boy. At no point did I do that, and winning likes by misrepresenting my entire point is pretty odious.

Work away though, I could give a damn at this point, most people hadn't heard of Heck a few months ago, now he's the perfect man to take us forward.

When everyone loved Purslow I posted saying he was an overly-polished businessman who had mastered the art of spin and not much else, and that I was uncomfortable with him at the helm. I got absolutely eviscerated for it. 18 months or so later, the majority here were glad to see him gone.

It's an echo chamber here so often. Believe what you want.

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

You know I wasn't calling "the current ownership and management team a farce", you naughty naughty boy. At no point did I do that, and winning likes by misrepresenting my entire point is pretty odious.

Work away though, I could give a damn at this point, most people hadn't heard of Heck a few months ago, now he's the perfect man to take us forward.

When everyone loved Purslow I posted saying he was an overly-polished businessman who had mastered the art of spin and not much else, and that I was uncomfortable with him at the helm. I got absolutely eviscerated for it. 18 months or so later, the majority here were glad to see him gone.

Your post really implies "they're a farce" and I'm not sure who you're talking about if not the ownership and management teams?

To me, it IS a farce, and the fact they've made pretty big changes (which they can't call minor IMO) to the overall expansion plans is also ridiculous.

That bit particularly

Edited by MrBlack

3 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

The plans include extending the outer wall of the Trinity for the planned changes to the hospitality areas and the additional spaces where it joins the North Stand - they'll take a fair bit of the Trinity Road skin off and replace it - I'm not 100% sure if that's phase 1 or phase 2 - but they talked about it happening as part of this.

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Your post really implies "they're a farce" and I'm not sure who you're talking about if not the ownership and management teams?

That bit particularly

It's really not that hard to understand, could you do us both a favour and stop being obtuse for argument's sake?

It's a farce that we have no continuity between leadership at the club, both on field and off field, over the years. That's the point I was making. Is Unai fantastic? Yes. Are the owners great? Absolutely. Is Heck the new Messiah? I don't **** know, nor do you.

I've nothing against any of them, it's the lack of a joined-up strategic approach (the likes of which have made Brighton and Brentford such success stories over the long term) that bothers me.

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Basically what @MrBlack said. 

You implicated the owners and the management of the club, I responded. 

As for "winning likes", ironically you managed to point the finger at perhaps my only deadly serious post in months, congratulations. 

16 minutes ago, est1874 said:

It's really not that hard to understand, could you do us both a favour and stop being obtuse for argument's sake?

It's a farce that we have no continuity between leadership at the club, both on field and off field, over the years. That's the point I was making. Is Unai fantastic? Yes. Are the owners great? Absolutely. Is Heck the new Messiah? I don't **** know, nor do you.

I've nothing against any of them, it's the lack of a joined-up strategic approach (the likes of which have made Brighton and Brentford such success stories over the long term) that bothers me.

We had a 5 year plan to get back in to Europe. Purslow, for whatever crap he did or didn't do, was in charge as we achieved that. 

Moving on from him, as the club recognised his limitations seemed to be purely around getting a club out of the doldrums but not pushing it on, wasn't the right thing to do at the time we did it.

The plans for the stadium were put forwards and approved by various layers within villa,  I imagine up to the top. Delays to council developments brought on by an unforeseen massive bill the council didn't know it owed, combined with the known hike in costs that meant the longer we waited the more it would cost, have meant we'll now to with a different approach. 

Heck is in, but whether he oversaw any of that who knows. He very explicitly announced in his arrival that he's looking to create something far more all encompasing of Aston Villa in his vision. 

As steero said... 95% of clubs are in a worse state with their owners. You named two clubs that are (in your view) better run. 

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Does anyone know if these plans have been submitted on the BCC planning portal yet?

I can't see them as an amendment to the original plans but wondered if they might be a separate application.

I have been checking - I don't think they have yet.  I think they will be separate too - as a small amendment to the Holte plans was submitted as a new application.  

• Like 1

Â