Midweek football 14/17 March

andykeenan

man utd die hard from the midlands giving it the barry mcbiggun that the El means absolutely nothing to anyone

tonight is everything thats wrong with english football, the "local" fans, the disregard of the EL, the money of 4th meaning more than winning something, the shite foootball, the media reaction to the results (spurs out cos they rotated the squad, liverpool can win it)

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

at what? who is best South American player to play in English top flight. Gilberto maybe

Aguero currently will go down as a great and is a much better player than Gilberto ever was, c'mon.

• Like 1

are you suggesting that none of them have really shone in the PL? maybe because of our kick and rush style of football passing them by...

but we have had gilberto silva (i thought he was a good player), edu, aguero, suarez, tevez, juninho, willian, sanchez, solano

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah there's a load of excellent South Americans who have played in the PL.

tbf there havent been loads of south americans in the PL

reason for that would be as simple as the climate, the language, food etc then you throw in the style of football, id say a lack of scouting out there (how many SA are coming direct from SA? not many, they're coming from other european clubs) why arent we scouting there? 3rd party ownership, different agents, work permit restrictions (villa wouldnt be able to sign a 14 year old from rosario) 

id say there were the twins at utd, then the 2 brazilian kids chelsea got last summer but there arent many young SAs coming to the UK

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

tbf there havent been loads of south americans in the PL

reason for that would be as simple as the climate, the language, food etc then you throw in the style of football, id say a lack of scouting out there (how many SA are coming direct from SA? not many, they're coming from other european clubs) why arent we scouting there? 3rd party ownership, different agents, work permit restrictions (villa wouldnt be able to sign a 14 year old from rosario)

id say there were the twins at utd, then the 2 brazilian kids chelsea got last summer but there arent many young SAs coming to the UK

Maybe VISA's a factor in times gone by too.

thats what i mean, kids from argentina obviously tick the top 75 in the FIFA rankings or whatever it is but the 50% of the last 2 years internationals, thats not happening, saying they'll play 50% of the internationals in the next 2 years, thats probably not happening either

i think PL clubs will be wary of piling a load of scouting resources in to players that they arent actually going to be able to sign, unless of course they're utd, chelsea, city, arsenal etc who have a network that enables them to do it (and seemingly a different set of work permit rules)

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Aguero currently will go down as a great and is a much better player than Gilberto ever was, c'mon.

Maybe Aguero gets the nod because he's played longer but for me the best south american player to play in England is Suarez by a distance,

I liked our three amigos from 10 years back...Solano, JPA and UDLC linked really well at times.

If I was a manager I'd get three South Americans in my line up as a minimum. If you want technique, passion, commitment they have it all.

Pretty much impossible getting any in now in the championship. Is the commitment thing there with south americans because many of them came from poorish backgroumds and appreciate what what it is to be a pro footballer and what you have to do if you want to get to a top european club. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Maybe Aguero gets the nod because he's played longer but for me the best south american player to play in England is Suarez by a distance,

Augustin Delgado 

Â