The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Papers refused ... nice attempt to make it sound like Nazi Germany ,  at no point did she say this 

Whilst I can sympathise with her fears and anxiety , she Isn’t being kicked out even with No Deal ....clause 4 of the Immigration Bill protects the rights of EU citizens resident in the UK and The government has made many statements signalling an intent to protect the rights of those living in the UK prior to exit day. ( though tbf governments say many things )

33 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Papers refused ... nice attempt to make it sound like Nazi Germany ,  at no point did she say this 

She says "they said my national insurance didn't correspond to the right thing and now I have to start the whole process...but the 31st October is fast approaching...what am I going to do?"

You quibble on technicalities.

The import of what she says is clear.  It is entirely equivalent to papers being refused.

Please don't try to cover up what is happening by quibbling about whether a quote has been transcribed precisely enough for your liking, when the consequence is the same (you are not wanted here, go back to your own country).

But yes, it is reminiscent of Nazi Germany in too many ways (see today's Prospect article), not least the number of middle class numpties who think it willl all happen to someone else, not them.

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

How patronising.

This from the patrician who wrongly believed he was right to facilitate Thatcher and all the evil she did,  because he foolishly thought she could be brought to heel by him and his wealthy chums.  Wrong then, wrong now.  Roll up your tobacco in your soiled hush puppies and smoke it.

Though it does pose a question for Jo Swinefever...

Ken Clarke is quite safe in the knowledge that there's not a cat in hell's chance Corbyn will be a caretaker PM nor will there be a GNU, regardless of it being a decent idea at a time of bad ones, so it's rather like him saying he's ok with Johnson deciding he wants to be an elephant tomorrow. It isn't going to happen so Ken Clarke's opinion on it is less than useless.

33 minutes ago, peterms said:

She says "they said my national insurance didn't correspond to the right thing and now I have to start the whole process...but the 31st October is fast approaching...what am I going to do?"

You quibble on technicalities.

The import of what she says is clear.  It is entirely equivalent to papers being refused.

Please don't try to cover up what is happening by quibbling about whether a quote has been transcribed precisely enough for your liking, when the consequence is the same (you are not wanted here, go back to your own country).

But yes, it is reminiscent of Nazi Germany in too many ways (see today's Prospect article), not least the number of middle class numpties who think it willl all happen to someone else, not them.

No i quibble on  reporting with no attempt of establishing the full picture  , same as some others usually do / used to do  ... she said there was a problem with her national insurance number and she’d  have to restart the process ... the government web site refers to a deadline of Dec 2020 for this process of settled status ( June 2021 if we have a deal ) .... 31st October doesn’t even come into play , but then you already knew that didn’t you ...

it could have been as simple as she wrote the wrong NI number on the form for all we know , unless you’ve seen some more Information elsewhere ? I get  her anxiety , I’d like to think it’s easily resolved  , though acknowledge  previous form suggests her fears could be founded.

Regarding the Portuguese woman,  if you live in a EU country for 15+ years and you registered and paid tax and do what you are supposed to do you can apply and get a Passport of the European country you live in.

I know this is true becasue I did it not so long ago,  I have a Dutch and English passport now.  It was really, really easy.  

I was actually supposed to,  with 3 other people in the village get it given to me by the mayor in a little reception in the council house (Photos and stuff and get in the paper) but there was a emergency on that day and it couldn't be done. (But, that is a nice thing to do I think?)

I don't know the full story with her but the EU thing did / does have this benefit for all as far as i know so it seems odd.

• Like 1

The above three charts are from an article on Medium, Three charts that sum up the UK’s craziness right now

The first one shows that No Deal is not wanted by the majority, The second one from the time of the referendum shows that the people who actually thought we'd get a deal were the Leavers not the remainers and the third shows the changing attitude to immigration over the last few years

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

The above three charts are from an article on Medium, Three charts that sum up the UK’s craziness right now

The first one shows that No Deal is not wanted by the majority, The second shows how thick leave voters are and third shows the changing attitude to immigration over the last few years

Corrected

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Guess that puts to bed the argument everyone that voted leave is a racist then

Were you arguing with yourself over it? because no-one else said it

It has been said that every racist voted to leave but hey ho

• Like 1

Â