The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I know I'm being a bit defensive as an over-60, but every single one of my friends in that age bracket is pro-remain. 

There's probably a significant correlation with the highest level of education achieved but I'm guessing on that one as I've not seen any polls that break the numbers down that way

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

There's probably a significant correlation with the highest level of education achieved but I'm guessing on that one as I've not seen any polls that break the numbers down that way

“Overall, people who left school at 15 or 16 voted around two to one for Brexit. [For] people who got up to A-level or equivalent qualification [it was] 50:50. Graduates voted two to one to remain in the EU.

“So yes, there is quite a clear educational gradient in the way people voted in last year’s referendum.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/30/facts-support-mps-claim-that-better-educated-voted-remain-pollster

Obviously level of education and level of intelligence aren't a direct corollary (hell, look at the current Government). But the facts are there.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/30/facts-support-mps-claim-that-better-educated-voted-remain-pollster

Obviously level of education and level of intelligence aren't a direct corollary (hell, look at the current Government). But the facts are there.

I think a more useful gauge would be to see figures for age and education combined. I think it is fair to say that the number of graduates amongst the over 60s is simply fewer than in today's under 30's. I don't know many 70 year olds with a 2.2 in Media Studies from the University of East Anglia!

22 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

I think a more useful gauge would be to see figures for age and education combined. I think it is fair to say that the number of graduates amongst the over 60s is simply fewer than in today's under 30's. I don't know many 70 year olds with a 2.2 in Media Studies from the University of East Anglia!

At least we've got proper degrees though... 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

We clearly move in different circles. I don't know any of any age.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

That bus could have been shot down quickly, “thanks Boris but we will absolutely not have an extra £350m per week for the NHS, it WILL NOT HAPPEN”. “We as a country predict we will be worse off than now so please don’t give this any consideration”. They could have repeated it over an over, but didn’t bother.

Did May not give the NHS an extra £20bn * a year recently ... so technically  it did happen :)

(*  by 2023 and not exactly from EU savings  , there is also the usual govt fudge of figures issue as well ) 

49 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

I know at least 3 over 60, One's a professor, One's a winner of the Linda La Plante Prize for Fiction and another holds a doctorate (and he's in his 70’s). Quite a few more over 50 too. Not one of them's a Brexiteer though. :mrgreen:

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Did May not give the NHS an extra £20bn * a year recently ... so technically  it did happen :)

(*  by 2023 and not exactly from EU savings  , there is also the usual govt fudge of figures issue as well ) 

She probably made a point of doing it before we leave the EU so they can’t claim to be correct :lol: 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I look forward to the vegan thread moving towards the level of education  and how vegans all have degrees and thus are smarter than the rest of us  :P

They'll be bloody hungry come Brexit or very skint (keeping us on topic)

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, it'll be all the turnips and swede you can eat come April 2019.

They're just getting ahead of the new national diet.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I've got a cupboard full of lentils, rice, tinned tomato, and herbs and spices.

I'll be just fine mate, let me know how you get on with the roadkill. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I've got a cupboard full of lentils, rice, tinned tomato, and herbs and spices.

I'll be just fine mate, let me know how you get on with the roadkill. ;)

I know we're joking but there was a serious point too.

Read a few tweets on the subject the other day, some of them quoting Gove.

Apparently, we'll be absolutely goosed for bananas and a few other things, there'll be 40% tariffs on Beef and Lamb (making exporting our stuff next to impossible) and some mad figures about us getting 70% of tomatoes and lettuce and other common veg from abroad (in the event of No Deal)

• Sad 1

I think a few generations of people have forgotten just how good we have it. 

From food, to tech, we have the best things available on the planet available to us at the click of a button.

In the case of a no deal, when people have to start thinking about seasonal eating (what, you can't get strawberries in January?! Pineapples and bananas don't exist anymore?!), people might realise just how convenient our lives have been for a bloody long time, and that's a result of international trade and cooperation.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

I think a few generations of people have forgotten just how good we have it. 

From food, to tech, we have the best things available on the planet available to us at the click of a button.

In the case of a no deal, when people have to start thinking about seasonal eating (what, you can't get strawberries in January?! Pineapples and bananas don't exist anymore?!), people might realise just how convenient our lives have been for a bloody long time, and that's a result of international trade and cooperation.

Don't want any of that forin muck anyway! Give me propa British food.

Quassonts? Garlicky French rubbish.

Â