The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The selective blindness around Brexit is getting very frustrating.

I've said before but a group of people I sit with at work are all Leavers so it comes up in discussion every now and then. They never have an answer for anything. They don't even have an answer for why they want to leave any more. "Too many rules" is about all I ever get.

The latest one is "well nobody actually knows what will happen so we may as well wait and see"

Yes. We do know. Or at least we have a pretty bloody good idea!

In the words of Nigel Pearson, you're an ostrich.

Nothing wrong with your post, but the thing that led to the like was definitely 'in the words of Nigel Pearson'

• Haha 1

As Pearson leaves for lunch with his players, he is asked for his views on Brexit, as a Brit now abroad. 

“I don’t agree with it and I think it’s a travesty, personally. I won't tell you how I vote at home but I was definitely a 'remain'.

“It's alright for the Scots and the Welsh to say that they're Scots and Welsh, but I'm an Englishman and I see myself as being European. I was bloody annoyed if I'm honest.”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Well she is right that the Brexit that was promised cannot be delivered but obviously a 'no deal' Brexit is pretty easy to deliver, the government just has to sit on its hands for the next 6 months and watch the clock wind down.  

Even that isn't as easy as it sounds

As an aside but related... Who knows how many countries in the world trade solely under WTO rules? (I know the answer)

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Even that isn't as easy as it sounds

As an aside but related... Who knows how many countries in the world trade solely under WTO rules? (I know the answer)

1. Mauritania.

And they still have slavery.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I believe that's technically an aid agreement, which probably shouldn't count :)

It involves Tariff Free Trade from Mauritania to the EU, the EU elects to pay tariffs in the opposite direction. Yes the idea is to help the country but Mauretania can sell stuff to us without penalty

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

It involves Tariff Free Trade from Mauritania to the EU, the EU elects to pay tariffs in the opposite direction. Yes the idea is to help the country but Mauretania can sell stuff to us without penalty

Yes, but it's not really a trade deal as such. It's an aid deal where a number of developed nations agree to give Mauritania an advantage in exporting. It's not something many countries could benefit from, so it doesn't really have much bearing in a Brexit discussion.

It's all moot though as Mauritania, having looked into it, does apparently have a trade deal with some other African countries. Meaning nobody trades in WTO rules alone.

Because those rules are crap.

John Bercow apparently confirming he's stepping down next summer.

Presumably so he can make sure the Commons can stop all this if it wants to.

And before he can be dragged too heavily over the coals for bullying.

Edit - although by all accounts he had already suggested this before.

Edited by ml1dch

Yeah it's always interesting to see the side most effected by a decision be the one least prepared. The Dutch started looking for new customs personnel more or less a year ago.

Meanwhile Brexit Britain is still arguing over how nothing bad will happen in whatever undefined result they want.

An extra tin or 2 each week in the shopping and stockpiling any essential medicines you can store is increasingly looking sensible.

Also hilarious (read: horrifying) to see 6 ministers reported to be seeking legal clarification of the implications of the exit deal, with Michael Gove noted as claiming to have been misled over the backstop for instance.

Didn't they **** read any of the proposals?

Also, have a stab at who the 6 are. Hint - they're amongst the brightest of the cabinet. Snigger.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Also hilarious (read: horrifying) to see 6 ministers reported to be seeking legal clarification of the implications of the exit deal, with Michael Gove noted as claiming to have been misled over the backstop for instance.

Didn't they **** read any of the proposals?

Also, have a stab at who the 6 are. Hint - they're amongst the brightest of the cabinet. Snigger.

It's nice to hear them looking for input from experts. :)

Edited by snowychap
  • Haha 1

Â