The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

24 minutes ago, darrenm said:

In that case it wasn't funny because it was completely wrong.

Oh, ffs! :bang:

Brobdingnag doesn't exist; Winston Codogo probably isn't a real person; there is no offence of loitering with the intent to use a pedestrian crossing; 11 isn't louder than 10.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Oh, ffs! :bang:

Brobdingnag doesn't exist; Winston Codogo probably isn't a real person; there is no offence of loitering with the intent to use a pedestrian crossing; 11 isn't louder than 10.

I'm lost. I wouldn't worry about explaining.

• Haha 1

Sam Coates of the Times is reporting that the Treasury believes a no deal scenario could cost around £60 billion in reduced tax revenue a year.

Sobering.

But fantastic if you've got mates who fancy some bargain basement infrastructure available in a government desperation fire sale.

In consideration of all the 'successful' economies that exist outside of the EU, are we really only doing reasonably well (in world relative terms) because the United Kingdom is currently a member of the European Union? If so, how do the other reasonably successful economies do it despite the EU?

1 minute ago, brommy said:

In consideration of all the 'successful' economies that exist outside of the EU, are we really only doing reasonably well (in world relative terms) because the United Kingdom is currently a member of the European Union? If so, how do the other reasonably successful economies do it despite the EU?

Which economies, why are they 'successful', how are they 'successful', how do they differ from the UK economy, where are they 'successful', &c.?

7 hours ago, brommy said:

We aren't even currently successful inside the EU, only one country in the EU is performing worse... the Basket Case that is Greece

8 hours ago, brommy said:

Would any of those other successful economies decide to piss off the majority of their existing trade partners and attempt to bin all trade deals and re negotiate new ones within two years or threaten to impose WTO tariffs?

No.

Because that would be monumentally stupid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

I think Labour are about to come out full remain, or as close as possible by planting a seed about another referendum. I'm feeling it in my Twitter waters. I always hated showing my workings but teacher doesn't believe your answer if you don't, even if it's right.

1 Billy Bragg says Corbyn knows his route to no.10 lies with staying in the EU

2 Zarb-Cousin and all the other allies recently changing tune and being more pro-EU than previous

3 Don McJohnnell and Ser Keir being happy enough to peeve hard leavers by fully excluding them and backing SM and CU as a red line. Say they won't accept no deal under any circumstances

4 The poll as above showing public opinion changing in favour of remain

5 Corbyn being happy enough to state he'd vote remain again, again giving ammo to the 'hes a traitor' leavers who think he's trying to go against the ref

6 The amendment tabled by shadow cabinet (specifically JC) to make no deal impossible

I think they were waiting until public mood swung before getting behind remain. They know a knackered economy wouldn't work with high taxation and spending and they know another referendum would likely be remain, and finally they know soft brexit is so close to full membership that article 50 can and might as well be revoked anyway.

Even despite the difficulty and uncertainty of the deal negotiation and the frequently forecast economic doom, it appears UK public opinion is still closely divided, especially given the much documented margin of polling error. It is possible that most of the people who voted leave, knew it wouldn't be an easy ride and are accepting of some of the possible economic negatives.

I think a change of mind by the UK government, would see a growing resentment of the EU (and of UK politicians who would be labelled as un-democratic), to the extent that unless the EU changed some of it's principles, there would be a growing demand for a second referendum. The longer it was left, the greater the leave vote. My suspicion: 5+ years = closer to 55%; 10+ years = closer to 60%.

And what happens if remain wins the second time around , do we make it best out of 3 , first one to 10

A second referendum could only really be on this is the deal do we take it or go full Hard Brexit ... anything else isn’t really ever going to resolve things is it ? 

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

And what happens if remain wins the second time around , do we make it best out of 3 , first one to 10

A second referendum could only really be on this is the deal do we take it or go full Hard Brexit ... anything else isn’t really ever going to resolve things is it ? 

First question answer: use tennis tie-break rules, first to 7 but with a margin of 2 or more.

Second question answer: correct, any other vote won't resolve anything.

51 minutes ago, brommy said:

Even despite the difficulty and uncertainty of the deal negotiation and the frequently forecast economic doom, it appears UK public opinion is still closely divided, especially given the much documented margin of polling error. It is possible that most of the people who voted leave, knew it wouldn't be an easy ride and are accepting of some of the possible economic negatives.

I think a change of mind by the UK government, would see a growing resentment of the EU (and of UK politicians who would be labelled as un-democratic), to the extent that unless the EU changed some of it's principles, there would be a growing demand for a second referendum. The longer it was left, the greater the leave vote. My suspicion: 5+ years = closer to 55%; 10+ years = closer to 60%.

Lol the demographics suggest otherwise

Just now, brommy said:

Lol why would resentment of the EU not increase even ahead of what demographics suggest?

Because the demographics of those against the EU are heavily weighted at the soon to be dead end of the spectrum

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Because the demographics of those against the EU are heavily weighted at the soon to be dead end of the spectrum

By that logic an identical campaign 5 or 10 years earlier would have lead to a bigger leave vote, which I don't believe. Do you believe that people don't change opinion over their lives? Many of those who voted leave were previously in favour of EU membership. Barring a major change in EU membership rules, many of those under 40's would be far more skeptical of the EU in a decade or two. The UK has developed a growing resentment of the EU, despite younger voters replacing dead ones, because many people develop skepticism with age and experience.

Â