The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

1000 migrants cross the channel in 2 days, when does Brexit kick in to stop this happening? 

When Priti Patel is allowed to personally gun them down with a MP5 and eat the corpses.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Genie said:

1000 migrants cross the channel in 2 days, when does Brexit kick in to stop this happening? 

A few things puzzle me.    

1. Why should France/EU stop people leaving France/EU?   If these people entered the EU legally they are entitled to leave.   If they entered the EU illegally they are still entitled to leave.  What is the legal basis for stopping someone leaving a country?   

2.  Due to free movement within the EU  people could catch the ferry from France to Ireland.   From there they can just walk across the free border into the UK.  How can we possibly stop that in the future without a hard border?   

23 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

A few things puzzle me.    

1. Why should France/EU stop people leaving France/EU?   If these people entered the EU legally they are entitled to leave.   If they entered the EU illegally they are still entitled to leave.  What is the legal basis for stopping someone leaving a country?   

2.  Due to free movement within the EU  people could catch the ferry from France to Ireland.   From there they can just walk across the free border into the UK.  How can we possibly stop that in the future without a hard border?   

If you try not to think too hard, it all makes perfect sense

MESSAGE DU RECTORAT CONCERNANT LE BREXIT ET L'IMPACT SUR ...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

A few things puzzle me.    

I expect you could make a reasonable claim for stopping an overcrowded dinghy heading into a busy shipping lane on safety grounds. 

On emi/immigration grounds, I can't think of any.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

A few things puzzle me.    

One of the problems with France helping, and this might shock you, is because it seems like we went back on a promise to give them money to cover their costs of doing it.

We promised to give them €63m and then didn’t bother.

Even less incentive for them to help us.

As Chindie said, I honestly think some people thought we’d just be able to sink their boats with gun fire once cut free from the EU red tape. That’ll learn ‘em.

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Due to free movement within the EU  people could catch the ferry from France to Ireland.   From there they can just walk across the free border into the UK.  How can we possibly stop that in the future without a hard border?   

There must be a reason why this doesn't happen already? Probably the free movement only applies to EU Citizens so probably illegal immigrants could not just get on a ferry.

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

A few things puzzle me.    

I have now found out the answer to both of these questions and it’s really interesting.  In 2003 Britain and France signed the Touquet Accords.  To put it simply it authorises British Officials to prevent people travelling to France if they don’t meet French entry requirements.  It’s a reciprocal agreement.  Therefore the French cannot allow someone to leave France for the UK if they know they don’t have the necessary UK entry documents.  

A similar agreement covers France to Ireland.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Got some stamps at passport control in Spain. What a rush. 

Did you have to wait a long time to clear passport control? I’m going next week and dreading getting treated like shit. 

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

Got some stamps at passport control in Spain. What a rush. 

Great hobby until you realise that the 10 year expiry date on your passport will be well undercut due to a lack of free space for stamps. I had to get what is essentially a Brexit card to hand over at the Polish border to get them to stop stamping my passport, though they still did when flying to the UK last time ("That card means I don't need a stamp." "Yes, it's a problem.") Which brings me to

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Did you have to wait a long time to clear passport control? I’m going next week and dreading getting treated like shit. 

Already wrote here but I entered Poland on 2nd Jan this year so there's a good chance I was the first Brit to do so, at least at this particular airport. I went to the first queue without thinking and the guy could practically not contain his delight at telling me "this is for EU passports, you need to go the All passports queue." Other than that it's fine, because most people have EU passports.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Great hobby until you realise that the 10 year expiry date on your passport will be well undercut due to a lack of free space for stamps. I had to get what is essentially a Brexit card to hand over at the Polish border to get them to stop stamping my passport, though they still did when flying to the UK last time ("That card means I don't need a stamp." "Yes, it's a problem.") Which brings me to

Already wrote here but I entered Poland on 2nd Jan this year so there's a good chance I was the first Brit to do so, at least at this particular airport. I went to the first queue without thinking and the guy could practically not contain his delight at telling me "this is for EU passports, you need to go the All passports queue." Other than that it's fine, because most people have EU passports.

I guess it’s going to be luck of the draw. If there’s a bunch of flights from the UK arriving at the same time then it’s going go be painful waiting for the probably 1 open “non-EU” desk whilst the others watch twiddling their thumbs. 

Then the smug Brits with their EU passports cruise through, then have to wait on the coach for everyone else to arrive :lol: 

Edited by Genie

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I guess it’s going to be luck of the draw. If there’s a bunch of flights from the UK arriving at the same time then it’s going go be painful waiting for the probably 1 open “non-EU” desk whilst the others watch twiddling their thumbs. 

Ah yeah, we noticed yesterday that there were flights from Luton, Stansted and Dublin (probably containing a significant amount of UK passport holders too) scheduled to land within 15 minutes of one another. Can only imagine that they do this for the sake of the border guards shifts at the non-Schengen border without a single care being given about the state of the queues for anyone not in the front 10 rows of the first plane to land.

17 hours ago, Genie said:

UK to Spain. Asked if I’d been vaccinated but didn’t ask to see anything.

Arrival in Spain checked Spanish locator form. Scanning the locator and asked to see the EU version of the pass the NHS app can produce.

Spanish to UK asked for UK locator form and vaccine pass but didn’t scan.

Arrival in UK. Asked about UK locator form but hardly bothered to look at it.

Basically the Spanish seem to care and the UK didn’t. Locator forms are a pain in the arse though. 

All in all not a massive difference just extra admin. As my dad will tell me “we used to have to fill out forms and wait a bit in the 70s/80s so what’s the problem” 

Most annoyingly there is no where central that says exactly what you need and where to get it.

Spanish locator form - Spanish health authority. (There’s an app)

UK locator form - gov website.

UK vaccine - NHS app

EU version of vaccine - NHS app but have to prove identity with pictures and videos.

Day 2 Covid Test - got mine through TUI Website. £43 for Randox one but there are 100s not in price order.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Nicho
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

UK to Spain. Asked if I’d been vaccinated but didn’t ask to see anything.

Arrival in Spain checked Spanish locator form. Scanning the locator and asked to see the EU version of the pass the NHS app can produce.

Spanish to UK asked for UK locator form and vaccine pass but didn’t scan.

Arrival in UK. Asked about UK locator form but hardly bothered to look at it.

Basically the Spanish seem to care and the UK didn’t. Locator forms are a pain in the arse though. 

All in all not a massive difference just extra admin. As my dad will tell me “we used to have to fill out forms and wait a bit in the 70s/80s so what’s the problem” 

Most annoyingly there is no where central that says exactly what you need and where to get it.

Spanish locator form - Spanish health authority. (There’s an app)

UK locator form - gov website.

UK vaccine - NHS app

EU version of vaccine - NHS app but have to prove identity with pictures and videos.

Day 2 Covid Test - got mine through TUI Website. £43 for Randox one but there are 100s not in price order.

Hope that helps.

Thanks mate, I think i’m as ready as I can be.

NHS apps installed, and we’ve printed out pdf copies of our vaccination status for backup.

I’ve installed the Spanish locator app, i’ll fill it in at the weekend.

UK locator, i’ll sort that later. I’ve not ordered the day 2 PCR tests yet (£172 for a family of 4) on the off chance that the new rules for a lateral flow coming by the 22nd but I doubt it. I’ll go with Randox who seem to be the cheapest of the main companies.

What’s the bit about EU vaccine and proving identity with pictures and videos?

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

What’s the bit about EU vaccine and proving identity with pictures and videos?

There are two passes. Domestic and Travel.

I couldn’t get my travel one until I uploaded my passport, took a seperate picture and then a video of me saying a sequence of numbers. That then got approved and my travel version became available.

No idea what the difference is, didn’t want to get caught out so wanted to make sure I had it.

Â