The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Simply the morning shit of a sleeping giant waking from the twin nightmares of covid and the EU.

At least we are now harvesting the shell fish ourselves, and not letting the dirty Spanish access the great british shit eating molluscs.

• Haha 1

Polluting our waters should be an offence that sees these words removed in fear of being strung up. 

The fines aren't bigger than the hit to their profits, so **** it, these capitalist scum will just pollute our water. Don't eat the rich, you don't know where the words removed have been. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Simply the morning shit of a sleeping giant waking from the twin nightmares of covid and the EU.

At least we are now harvesting the shell fish ourselves, and not letting the dirty Spanish access the great british shit eating molluscs.

Reading this just made me spit a mouthful of Pepsi back in the glass before I sprayed it all over my laptop:crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

35 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Probably the wrong thread as this has nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit but this would be funny if true

I saw something on this yesterday too. Would be hilarious if true (aside from the fact it would make the UK even worse).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

They made this point on BBC Breakfast. Countries with higher productivity than the UK tend to have more immigration.  The most developed country with the lowest productivity was Japan which also had the lowest immigration of all. 

I suspect in Japan there are tons of shitty but essential jobs that don't get done because their own nationals don't want to do them. 

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the biggest influencer on productivity was infrastructure and especially decent public transport. 

If you compared Birmingham to pretty much any Western city it was less productive and it had the worst public transport infrastructure, leading to lengthy journeys in any direction compared to comparable cities elsewhere. 

The only UK city that stood up in the list was guess where? No go on guess?  Hmmmmm which British city has literally billions and billions spent on ludicrously interconnected transport systems?   Why London of course. 

So basically the decades and decades of London bias has turned London into a super slick efficient city busting with productivity streets ahead of most of its peers whilst the whole of the rest of the UK lags behind all their peers and as such drags the whole nation down the league tables. 

Instead of Crossrail 2 spend the same amount building a whole comprehensive tram network down every major arterial road in Birmingham and Birmingham would shoot up the productivity table. We must think of a slogan for this, maybe Levelling Up or something? 

Yeah OK, I'm sure we'll see £35bn spent on public transport in Brum soon. 

A massive rail electrification should be a start. It's embarrassing the country is still running on these crappy old diesel trains when I can go to Germany/Holland etc and get on these swanky double decker electric trains. 

• Like 2

Another day in paradise in Poland (apologies not Brexit related, but Polexit)

Since being in power, the ruling government have completely shredded the independence of the judiciary, sacking judges they don't like, and stacking the courts with their guys.

Recently, the stacked Constitutional Court ruled that abortion is not constitutional leading to huge protests. The issue here is that the government haven't passed a law here. There has been no debate. They stacked their court, their court says something isn't ok, so it's banned and it cannot be unbanned unless a different group of the constitutional court say otherwise.

So the EU aren't very impressed by this. They're fining and sanctioning Poland based on a ruling in the European Court of Justice.

So what have the Polish government done?

They've sent the case to the Constitutional Court, to ask whether the EU's behaviour is in the line with the Polish Constitution. 

They ruled yesterday that it isn't, which means we could easily be walking into a legal Polexit, despite there being overwhelming support for remaining in Poland (around 85% last time I checked)

Bunch of cowards; are Eurosceptic, but want the EU's money, they know that people want to stay in the EU so they get their sycophantic court to rule against the big bad EU, and whilst their mate Hungary is doing the same shit, nothing will change.

If Poland leave the EU, it will make Brexit look like an overwhelming success.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Another day in paradise in Poland (apologies not Brexit related, but Polexit)

Since being in power, the ruling government have completely shredded the independence of the judiciary, sacking judges they don't like, and stacking the courts with their guys.

Recently, the stacked Constitutional Court ruled that abortion is not constitutional leading to huge protests. The issue here is that the government haven't passed a law here. There has been no debate. They stacked their court, their court says something isn't ok, so it's banned and it cannot be unbanned unless a different group of the constitutional court say otherwise.

So the EU aren't very impressed by this. They're fining and sanctioning Poland based on a ruling in the European Court of Justice.

So what have the Polish government done?

They've sent the case to the Constitutional Court, to ask whether the EU's behaviour is in the line with the Polish Constitution. 

They ruled yesterday that it isn't, which means we could easily be walking into a legal Polexit, despite there being overwhelming support for remaining in Poland (around 85% last time I checked)

Bunch of cowards; are Eurosceptic, but want the EU's money, they know that people want to stay in the EU so they get their sycophantic court to rule against the big bad EU, and whilst their mate Hungary is doing the same shit, nothing will change.

If Poland leave the EU, it will make Brexit look like an overwhelming success.

Surely we are a bench mark that would put off any other nations. It couldn't be more messed up, no one should look at us and think I want some of that. 

• Like 4

The Mail are publishing a growing number of stories confirming that Brexit is a disaster

Here's a new one

Something is going seriously wrong in our economy': Tory peer and Next boss Lord Wolfson warns labour shortages are 'real problem' and prices will spiral unless firms are allowed to recruit more foreign workers

Tory peer and Next boss Lord Wolfson has warned labout shortages are a 'real problem' and prices will spiral unless firms are allowed to recruit more foreign workers.  

Lord Wolfson said 'something is going seriously wrong in our economy' when restaurants are not able to serve meals because they do not have the staff. 

This is pro-Brexit CEO and Tory peer complaining about Pro-Brexit government not doing a good job delivering what he campaigned for in a pro-Brexit newspaper.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Surely we are a bench mark that would put off any other nations. It couldn't be more messed up, no one should look at us and think I want some of that. 

The big issue over here is history. Poland have been owned/run/bossed by other nations for a significant part of their history. The current ruling party stemmed from Solidarity who were hugely anti-communist. When the Polish President died in a plane crash, despite it being an accident kinda caused by the President's behavior, his twin brother and his party equally blame Russia and the opposition for the crash.

There are enough older voters alive during communism that they agree with the government's stance of standing up to EU oppression as a good thing, regardless of the fact that this 'oppression' is standing up for normal people's rights against a power-hungry, autocratic party. The leader of PiS is just an MP but he basically rules Poland.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Well, maybe.

But the problems the UK has are not caused by Brexit, but by a combination of the type of Brexit deal we negotiated and general government incompetence.

In deciding (Theresa May) on specific red lines around immigration

I'm not sure this was Theresa's May choice.

Most people saw Brexit as an end to free movement, because that's how it was sold but every Brexit supporting campaign. Even those led by people were saying 'we don't want to leave the Single Market' whilst also championing the end of free movement.

28 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm not sure this was Theresa's May choice.

Most people saw Brexit as an end to free movement, because that's how it was sold but every Brexit supporting campaign. Even those led by people were saying 'we don't want to leave the Single Market' whilst also championing the end of free movement.

The red lines in her Mansion House speech were absolutely her choice, and she surprised even some of her own officials and supporters with them.

• Like 2

Â