The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

48 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

No that is what the EU requires, that the VAT be collected at the point it leaves the EU rather than at the final point of sale.

Implementation has been all over the place. Actually nothing changed at all for the first few weeks after the new regs had supposedly kicked in.

Then that VAT column appeared in the invoice from that supplier who I've used for a few years.

The items are fairly uniform in price across the two orders. The figure in the VAT column is pretty much the extra I've being paying since, wherever/howerver it's collected?

Edited by Xann

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Wasn't VAT always actually supposed to be paid but there was a bit of a racket going on to sell stuff from overseas and not pay it? 

There was a wheeze via the Channel Islands, maybe Switzerland too? Some retailers started shipping from there to swerve tax.

Small traders cried foul banded together and successfully lobbied to close the Channel Islands loophole nearly a decade ago.

If you're thinking of something more recent, then I'm not sure?

There’s shortages and there’s shortages isn’t there.

I dare say across the EU they have less than they want but they manage to make ends meet. There comes a point where it becomes a big problem, like we have in the UK.

Same as gas prices, yes they’ve gone up everywhere, but by much more in the UK.

Its correct when they say “there’s shortages across Europe” or “gas prices have gone up across Europe” but they leave out the detail that they’re able to manage those issues better as a block than we can.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

Indeed. When there are shortages of anything, you need to make yourself an attractive avenue for the resource in question. A 3 month visa then "off you ****" just before Christmas probably isn't going to do it, especially less than a year after these people saw how well we handled processing them out of the country.

I remember someone saying we're the only country in recorded history to have imposed economic sanctions on itself, and we continue to do so.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I remember someone saying we're the only country in recorded history to have imposed economic sanctions on itself, and we continue to do so.

It’s cos the EU were holding us back from being a worldwide super power led by this guy 

hl-J8q.gif

I saw 2 or 3 of the interviews with Boris yesterday and the questions were along the lines of “what are you going to do about all the industries that are now **** because of Brexit” and the answers were along the lines of “they need to sort it out themselves, it’s not for the government to intervene”.

Yep. I mean in this very thread we predicted exactly this.

Brexit would be a disaster yet most Brexiters would blame someone else. They will never ever admit that anything about it was wrong.

And anything they do admit is bad they claim "well we knew this would happen, it's all part of the process" despite saying the exact opposite 5 years ago

• Like 1

5 years have passed and there’s no plan, how dare Boris talking about growing pains. 

The only way I can see anything remotely positive out of Brexit would be a trade and FoM deal with the USA. We’d still be worse off than with the EU for many reasons but it might do a lot of the heavy lifting with all the deficits.

USA clearly aren’t interested so we’re screwed until we slowly integrate back into Europe over the next 50 years.

22 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I remember someone saying we're the only country in recorded history to have imposed economic sanctions on itself, and we continue to do so.

This isn't really true. Most forms of protectionism are essentially self-inflicted economic sanctions and lots of countries have a rich history of super-dumb protectionist policies.

I'm not saying Brexit is a good thing and it's unlikely to end well but I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near the top list of "incredibly stupid economic policies".

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

This isn't really true. Most forms of protectionism are essentially self-inflicted economic sanctions and lots of countries have a rich history of super-dumb protectionist policies.

Sure, but normally there is some sort of vague economic calculation behind them. "We need to stop widgets coming in to protect our widget factories /farmers meaning all the widget makers / growers are happy / employed / wealthy / voting for us. If it means it's a bit more expensive to buy widgets for everyone, that's a calculation that we're happy with"

What we have now (and what makes the current farrago particularly stupid) is theoretical protectionism. 

Our widgets are much harder to sell, but no protectionist measures have been put in place to er...protect them. Those horrid foreign widgets aren't getting stuck behind a tariff wall or in red tape at Dover.

While there are plenty of examples of bad economic policy, I cant think of reasons for them as bad as "we've conditioned the people who vote for us to wet their knickers anytime someone mentions Europe".

14 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Sure, but normally there is some sort of vague economic calculation behind them. "We need to stop widgets coming in to protect our widget factories /farmers meaning all the widget makers / growers are happy / employed / wealthy / voting for us. If it means it's a bit more expensive to buy widgets for everyone, that's a calculation that we're happy with"

What we have now (and what makes the current farrago particularly stupid) is theoretical protectionism. 

Our widgets are much harder to sell, but no protectionist measures have been put in place to er...protect them. Those horrid foreign widgets aren't getting stuck behind a tariff wall or in red tape at Dover.

While there are plenty of examples of bad economic policy, I cant think of reasons for them as bad as "we've conditioned the people who vote for us to wet their knickers anytime someone mentions Europe".

Surely it was all about ending freedom of movement? Labour force protectionism against theoretically being under cut by imported labour from central and eastern Europe. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. I mean in this very thread we predicted exactly this.

Brexit would be a disaster yet most Brexiters would blame someone else. They will never ever admit that anything about it was wrong.

And anything they do admit is bad they claim "well we knew this would happen, it's all part of the process" despite saying the exact opposite 5 years ago

Oh yes, this.  Tell us there will be no problems, just project fear lily-livers, then gloss it over as part of the process when it happens. 

What a gift, amazing.  If it wasn't totally **** up my present and my kids futures I would be impressed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Oh my god..... Are you saying there is going to be a widget shortage? 

Errmmm, I've got to go to the widget shop sharpish, I'll get Mrs Sidcow to bring her car too.

Edited by sidcow

Â