The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Just now, bickster said:

Good luck to who?

A sarcastic good luck to EU/ROI as it'll be a pretty tricky border to maintain.

Its a fairly big bargaining chip from the UK side I'd have thought to avoid that from all sides.

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

What happens if there is no NI Assembly? Because right now...

How long has it been doing nothing for? 2 1/2 years. Yeah that was another thing that doesn't make sense with Johnson's deal... 

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

A sarcastic good luck to EU/ROI as it'll be a pretty tricky border to maintain.

Its a fairly big bargaining chip from the UK side I'd have thought to avoid that from all sides.

Both sides have no option as far as I'm aware, WTO rules insist on border checks I think

Just now, bickster said:

Both sides have no option as far as I'm aware, WTO rules insist on border checks I think

So if a deal is struck its UK managing border checks, whatever they are.

If its no deal then its down to the EU to protect its ecosystem which I can't imagine they want to do for a second.

Is that the correct assumption?

Just now, Genie said:

So if a deal is struck its UK managing border checks, whatever they are.

If its no deal then its down to the EU to protect its ecosystem which I can't imagine they want to do for a second.

Is that the correct assumption?

Nope, if its no deal and we're reduced to WTO trading rules BOTH countries have to have border checks, so Johnson' is talking bollocks. If a WA is agreed under these terms, they can do whatever is in the WA

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nope, if its no deal and we're reduced to WTO trading rules BOTH countries have to have border checks, so Johnson' is talking bollocks. If a WA is agreed under these terms, they can do whatever is in the WA

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

There is some logic to what they are saying there. 

In the event of ‘No deal’ the EU will need a border at NI to protect its single market from the unregulated UK next door.

Hence the UK Government is saying it would be crazy for the EU to go down the road of rejecting the UK ‘compromise’ on the basis that it doesn’t do enough to prevent customs checks in NI when the alternative requires the EU to construct a full border. 

I think what may happen under a ‘No deal’ scenario is that the EU holds off building a border and instead makes life for the UK as difficult as possible until the UK government agrees to come back to the negotiating table with a better proposal i.e. it could get very ugly. 

By all accounts, the UK deal proposal is pretty similar to the Irish no deal contingency plan.

Both will result in a border. If you were Varadkar, if that is the end result why would you choose the optics of being the Taoiseach that willingly brought a border back to Ireland, rather than the one that dealt with the crisis and reacted quickly to the chaos brought about by the incompetent English politicians trying to hurt Ireland?

Other countries have their own internal perceptions to think about as well.

• Like 3

Teresa May's deal was agreed in partnership with the EU and then came back to the UK to be rubber stamped, where it failed.

Boris's deal doesn't have approval from the EU, Ireland or our MP's. So he could spend weeks negotiating with the EU only for it to be rejected when it is put in front of MP's anyway.

Wouldn't it have made sense to either get it approved at home before putting in front of the EU or vice versa? This is just a waste of paper.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Teresa May's deal was agreed in partnership with the EU and then came back to the UK to be rubber stamped, where it failed.

Boris's deal doesn't have approval from the EU, Ireland or our MP's. So he could spend weeks negotiating with the EU only for it to be rejected when it is put in front of MP's anyway.

Wouldn't it have made sense to either get it approved at home before putting in front of the EU or vice versa? This is just a waste of paper.

Would parliament be capable of agreeing  ?  you'd end up with a WA the equivalent of the car designed by Homer Simpson

Thing with May's deal is that people got so fixated with the backstop they seem to have overlooked that vast amounts of the rest of it was abysmal as well ... its likely that if Johnson can get something agreed with the EU around the backstop that MP's will be so relieved that no deal has gone they will be too busy preparing for an election to worry about buyers remorse

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Would parliament be capable of agreeing  ?  you'd end up with a WA the equivalent of the car designed by Homer Simpson

Thing with May's deal is that people got so fixated with the backstop they seem to have overlooked that vast amounts of the rest of it was abysmal as well ... its likely that if Johnson can get something agreed with the EU around the backstop that MP's will be so relieved that no deal has gone they will be too busy preparing for an election to worry about buyers remorse

Well the only logical thing to do is put it to the people just like Nigel Farage, Jacob Rees-Mogg and a whole host of Brexiteers thought was a sensible thing to do in the lead up to the referendum.

Wonder why the won't do that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

By all accounts, the UK deal proposal is pretty similar to the Irish no deal contingency plan.

Both will result in a border. If you were Varadkar, if that is the end result why would you choose the optics of being the Taoiseach that willingly brought a border back to Ireland, rather than the one that dealt with the crisis and reacted quickly to the chaos brought about by the incompetent English politicians trying to hurt Ireland?

Other countries have their own internal perceptions to think about as well.

The argument put forward by one of the Europe reporters (for Sky or the Beeb) was that choosing to sign up to these things as part of an international treaty is something that Varadkar would not want to be seen to be doing. Having to do it (until some sort of agreement is concluded) because the UK have chosen to leave the EU and haven't accepted the negotiated WA (however bad it was) would be a lot easier 'optics'-wise.

Â