The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

One more reason to get maybot gone. If you ever needed another...

Not sure where that gets us tbh. Getting rid of May triggers a Tory leadership election and a new PM, that is all. Even taking it as far as a General Election which is highly unlikely in the timeframe needed unless May herself calls one, then that leaves us with the other Brexit Party in charge at best

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

And obviously more importantly, it still needs a Government that actually wants to.

Or a parliamentary vote instructing that.  Which is why the government didn't want the "meaningful vote" motion to be amendable, and why they fought so hard to try to stop the A50 "rescindable" question reaching the ECJ.  Also possibly part of the thinking behind opposing the release of the legal opinion, not so much because of what's in it, as to challenge the longstanding principle that parliament can instruct government (revolutionary stuff).

Out of four possibilities - government changes its mind, election and change of government, "government of national unity" nonsense that for some reason people were talking up a while ago, or a parliamentary vote to rescind A50 if the ECJ rules it is possible - the parliamentary vote is the more likely, or least unlikely.

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

You've lost me - what facts do you feel I was unaware of?

the bit where you yourself stated (disclaimer - I've not checked that number myself).

it was a bit of light relief around the argument that people voted for Brexit without having full facts in front of them  ....  never mind :(

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the bit where you yourself stated (disclaimer - I've not checked that number myself).

it was a bit of light relief around the argument that people voted for Brexit without having full facts in front of them  ....  never mind :(

Understood - apologies for the tetchiness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

We are a complete and utter laughing stock.  Gives a bit of insight into what life must be like as a SHA fan.

nah more gammon per square inch down the sty than a UKIP meeting in Boston

Interesting amendment selected - a Dominic Grieve amendment which would basically reverse the one he tabled then voted against in the summer (about the Withdrawal act being unamenable).

Interesting because it's been backed by a load of MPs who will probably vote for the deal (Letwin, Freeman, Boles). But if it does then get rejected, they are signing up for Parliament to take control of the process if the vote doesn't go the way they are voting.

Risk is that Labour don't vote for it as it's similar to a Benn one next week so both get close but neither pass. Or Grieve just wimps out again.

Â