The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

The Sun published a long front page “news” story today that totally failed to state what happened. Instead it went out of its way to incite hatred of foreigners, accusing people of exercising their rights of “betraying” Brexit.

The newspaper, owned by US citizen Rupert Murdoch, said “loaded foreign elite will defy will of Brit voters”. Remember that phrase the next time you are unlucky enought to meet a Sun journalist.

I’ve worked in print, as a subeditor as well as a reporter, so I know not a single word gets written by accident. Here’s my breakdown of the Sun’s story on the Brexit court case, line by line. The Sun’s words are in italics.

A MOTLEY handful of EU-based campaigners led by a foreign-born multi-millionaire sparked fury after throwing Theresa May’s Brexit plans into chaos.

*** Hold on, what happened? Yep, there’s no facts in this sentence, and no info, despite it being written by someone very angry. The fact is, judges decided something in court, but the Sun wants you to focus — without even knowing the facts — on who brought that case. They sound foreign. Were they “foreign”? Let’s see…

How the Sun writes things to pour shit into your brain

That's worth a read.

The Sun employs very intelligent and well educated people to write this shit every day. The Mail does the same thing and puts on a nice looking suit and asks to be given the same gravitas the broadsheets get.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Out of all that post, you chose to focus on a bit that wasn't even to do with the Mail?

Ruge, you ask a question then totally ignore the answer.

I weren't just referring to the sun.  As a whole the mail and the sun are classed as scum papers. Why is that? Yes I've read the responses in why people think that but I tend to favour more to their views than say a lot of people on here. Some people are more right wing than others, nothing up with that. I don't agree with everything I read. Regarding brexit more people wanted out of the EU than wanted in, and I'd agree immigration played a huge part in that decision. Immigration won't stop and imo won't slow down anytime soon so was their vote wasted. It tells you everything you need to know about a lot of normal folk in this country that wanted out, and wanted out because of immigration. The leave campaign played the immigration card very very well and it probably won them the vote to which naff all will happen about it. The whole thing is a disaster, In fact embarrassing would be a better word.

19 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Word removed because of what? A different view point to you? 

There's lots of different opinions out there and I disagree with many of them. 

What sets the Sun's opinions apart is it's purposefully designed to appeal to the right on man down the pub brigade who doesn't know anything. The kind of opinion that likes to play the man rather than the ball and thinks that's OK.

The article I linked above kinda says it all. Yesterday's outrage in some of our apparent 'news'papers is ridiculous, designed to play to the ignorance of the populace that voted Leave of our style of governance. The Sun obviously followed suit, but decided to play up even more the hatred of the foreign sounding 'rich elites' that DARED to use their right to make it clear the government act in the correct democratically approved manner.

That is the action of a word removed. And the Sun does it all the time. It's entire voice is about playing to base ignorant right, stoking it, provoking it... It's a horrible rag.

• Like 3

Interesting to see the Bar Council calling on Liz Truss (she of the pork markets and the 'disgrace' of importing cheese...) to defend the judges and the system.

They've got more faith in her than me, clearly.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Interesting to see the Bar Council calling on Liz Truss (she of the pork markets and the 'disgrace' of importing cheese...) to defend the judges and the system.

They've got more faith in her than me, clearly.

It's not just something she should probably do because it might be the right thing to do, it is literally her duty as Lord Chancellor to defend the integrity and independence of the judiciary. Her statement today managed to be even worse than her silence. Just cowardly. 

• Like 3

The pendant in me is really fed up of hearing politicians say the majority of the British people voted for Brexit.

No they didn't. The majority of British people actually voted no, or didn't vote.

Please start saying 'the majority of British voters, voted Brexit.'

Pedantry is all I have left. 

7 minutes ago, jon_c said:

The pendant in me is really fed up of hearing politicians say the majority of the British people voted for Brexit.

No they didn't. The majority of British people actually voted no, or didn't vote.

Get your own posts! :P

2 hours ago, jon_c said:

The pedant in me has to point out that the majority of British voters didn't vote to leave, It was only a majority of people who actually voted on the day. There were more people who didn't vote, than voters who voted leave.

But your point is right, 26% of the population voted Leave.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

There were more voters who didn't bother, than voters who voted leave.

I'm not sure that's true?

Turnout was 72.2%, so 27.8% didn't bother showing up.

51.9% of the 72.2% voted to leave, which is 37.47% of the electorate, unless I've made a very embarrassing maths blunder.

Either way, the opinions of people who couldn't be arsed are the least of my concerns. People below the age threshold, I have rather more sympathy for, considering that younger people voted to stay, and it's once you get to late 40s-50s that the trend is to vote leave. 

Edited by Davkaus

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

The pedant in me has to point out that the majority of British voters didn't vote to leave, It was only a majority of people who actually voted on the day. There were more voters who didn't bother, than voters who voted leave.

But your point is right, 26% of the population voted Leave.

The pe(n)dant in me wonders how people who don't vote can be described as 'voters'. 'Potential voters', perhaps? 

Just now, jon_c said:

I hate typing on a phone.

don't beat yourself up about it, I was actually thinking of 'pendulum' but I appear to have got away with it

------

scumbag central report:

User Actions
  Follow
6988406a579fedd2d1fee1d9b98586f3_bigger.Cllr.Brian Silvester@CllrBSilvester

We need to know where the three Judges who wrongly tried to stop #Brexit live,so we can peacefully protest outside their homes.

UKIP councillor wants to know where the judges live so 'we' can protest outside their houses.

I suppose if you think about it, that gay judge was also the cause of the floods a year or so back, so best we drive them out.

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Turnout was 72.2%, so 27.8% didn't bother showing up.

51.9% of the 72.2% voted to leave, which is 37.47% of the electorate, unless I've made a very embarrassing maths blunder.

Either way, the opinions of people who couldn't be arsed are the least of my concerns. People below the age threshold, I have rather more sympathy for, considering that younger people voted to stay, and it's once you get to late 40s-50s that the trend is to vote leave. 

Of course it's hard to feel much sympathy for the lazy, but there are the young, as you note, and of course there can be any of dozens of reasons why a person may be unable to make it to the polls on a particular day, especially when that day is a normal working day. 

With long opening hours, postal votes, proxy votes, emergency votes by proxy that can be requested up until 5pm, the number of people who genuinely couldn't vote that wanted to should be so small as to be insignificant. It is a shame for those that it happened to, but I think it's fair to assume that most of them just couldn't be bothered.

• Like 1

Farage quietly tossing himself off on the telly this morning at the thought of violence on the street.

Sorry 'peaceful protest', as he called for after putting the idea out there of uprising.

May also increasingly disturbing. An idiot playing at being Thatcher.

44 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

No it wasn't - (I've edited it now ;) ) I should have said "people", not voters. But the main bit was right - like with yours 

brexit-chart.jpg

Â