The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

40 minutes ago, peterms said:

If you read her comments, she simply mentions some possible provision concerning benefit entitlements, and she emphasises  the importance of free movement.

In other words, it's a restatement of something said months ago, a "solution" to something that isn't a problem in the real world despite the fury in the Mail about supposed "benefit fourism".  And that "solution" must be set in the context of free movement.

Ah the traditional Mail comment at least you don't disappoint 

Merkel and others have gone from no ifs or buts to already suggesting they are prepared to change their position , something that us stupid Mail readers said would happen whilst you guardian reading intellectuals said Europe will invoke project spite to teach us a lesson 

yeah newspaper insults are boring 

Edited by tonyh29

11 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Backed herself into a tight little corner over there.  

She in trouble and she knows it.  She is throwing that out as a last resort to possibly influence the French election also but I genuinely feel the EU as it is now is slowly slipping between her fingers.

Yeah that's my take on it 

26 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Backed herself into a tight little corner over there.  

She in trouble and she knows it.  She is throwing that out as a last resort to possibly influence the French election also but I genuinely feel the EU as it is now is slowly slipping between her fingers.

Given the Russians involvement in the US election we can probably expect them to release her Stasi file to wikileaks next year. Should be fun! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, peterms said:

So the substantive position remains unchanged,

Merkel (and co)  is out to save her neck , the position has changed  .... Project Fear , Project Spite didn't work , now begins Project cling to power

The Mail bit is still tedious , I've posted countless times my reasons , as did Trent in another thread .. why it's almost like nobody reads what we say , too busy getting ready the next Little Englander or Daily Mail jibe .

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

And employment figures are notoriously useless as I'm sure you'll have pointed out before ;)

indeed  .. the figures are always massaged

However , it's kinda amusing really that this sort of good news when previously presented by others I  would question it only to be told I'm wrong  ..and now I present that same good news and get told I'm wrong again :) 

why it's like we've changed governments in the meantime  or something :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Merkel (and co)  is out to save her neck , the position has changed  .... Project Fear , Project Spite didn't work , now begins Project cling to power

You don't explain in what way you believe it to have changed, you simply again assert that it has.  Of course, it hasn't.

From an updated article:

Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, also appeared to be standing firm on defending the fundamental principle of free movement within the EU on Tuesday but conceded there could be room for further discussion around whether welfare benefits should be immediately available for life if an EU citizen moves to another member state.

and

Boris Johnson is promising the British people a Brexit deal that is “intellectually impossible” and “politically unavailable”, according to the Dutch finance minister and Eurogroup president.

Jeroen Dijsselbloem delivered a scathing attack on Johnson after the foreign secretary claimed the UK would probably be leaving the customs union while also seeking free trade with the EU and extra immigration controls.

Dijsselbloem told the BBC’s Newsnight: “I think he’s offering to the British people options that are really not available. For example, to say we could be inside the internal market but be outside the customs union, this is impossible, it just doesn’t exist. The opposite does exist. We have a customs union with Turkey but Turkey is not part of the internal market.

“He’s saying things that are intellectually impossible, politically unavailable, so I think he’s not offering the British people a fair view of what is available and what can be achieved in these negotiations.”...

...The government’s Brexit strategy also came under fire on Tuesday from an Italian minister, who described it as chaotic and slammed the UK for holding the EU hostage to Conservative party infighting.

“Somebody needs to tell us something, and it needs to be something that makes sense,” Carlo Calenda, the Italian economic development minister, told Bloomberg. “You can’t say that it’s sensible to say we want access to the single market but no free circulation of people. It’s obvious that doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.”

Calenda, a former Italian envoy to Brussels, said: “There’s lots of chaos and we don’t understand what the position is,” Calenda said. “It’s all becoming an internal UK debate, which is not OK.” The British government “needs to sit down, put its cards on the table and negotiate”, he said.

In further negative comments on Johnson’s personal strategy, Calenda said the UK foreign secretary had told him during a recent meeting that Italy would grant Britain access to the EU’s single market “because you don’t want to lose prosecco exports”.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Merkel and others have gone from no ifs or buts to already suggesting they are prepared to change their position , something that us stupid Mail readers said would happen

No they haven't. Not an iota. Mail (and other papers') readers might really really want it to happen, but it hasn't. It won't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

No they haven't. Not an iota. Mail (and other papers') readers might really really want it to happen, but it hasn't. It won't.

Fortunately you're right. The last thing we want is the EU going wobbly on free movement, the Government might then think they had a fighting chance of chinning off the referendum result.

Edit: I'm expecting a spring GE to give the Remainers one last crack at doing that. 

Edited by Awol

Who are these remainers you talk of AWOL? 

I know they are 48% of those that voted and no doubt a few more by now who didn't realise their entire lives would immediately get 20% more expensive. 

However other than the 7MPs (guesstimate) of the Lib Dems there doesn't seem to be a party out there who is not proBrexit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

Who are these remainers you talk of AWOL? 

I know they are 48% of those that voted and no doubt a few more by now who didn't realise their entire lives would immediately get 20% more expensive. 

However other than the 7MPs (guesstimate) of the Lib Dems there doesn't seem to be a party out there who is not proBrexit. 

As soon as Labour sniff a GE they'll be back on the Remain bus in a heartbeat. 

It'll be called before an Article 50 vote in Parliament due to the Courts causing significant delay in triggering the process, and be a single issue rather than a party focused election to give May her own mandate - or not.

Get a tenner on it. 

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

As soon as Labour sniff a GE they'll be back on the Remain bus in a heartbeat. 

It'll be called before an Article 50 vote in Parliament due to the Courts causing significant delay in triggering the process, and be a single issue rather than a party focused election to give May her own mandate - or not.

Get a tenner on it. 

Fixed Term Parliaments Act?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Fixed Term Parliaments Act?

Can be got around if 2/3rds of MP's vote for a GE. The FTPA took away PM's right to call it unilaterally and put it in the hands of Parliament instead if the Government wanted to call one early.

If May goes to the HoC and says she wants to hold a GE and forces a vote, could the opposition parties say "no thanks"? They'd destroy themselves.

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Can be got around if 2/3rds of MP's vote for a GE. The FTPA took away PM's right to call it unilaterally and put it in the hands of Parliament instead if the Government wanted to call one early.

If May goes to the HoC and says she wants to hold a GE and forces a vote, could the opposition parties say "no thanks"? They'd destroy themselves.

Labour are 15 points behind in the polls. They'd destroy themselves just as much by saying yes. I mean, they might feel they have to, but I don't think it's cut-and-dried. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Awol said:

Get a tenner on it. 

Not a cat in hell's chance. Money down the drain.

Firstly, pretty much all of the MPs accept the result was "Leave" and even if they themselves are/were in favour of staying they recognise that the referendum result said the Country should leave. So they will vote in Parliament to Leave.

Secondly - the Courts - it's the Gov't incompetence that would cause any "delay" - the Gov't, as always, merely has to follow the law, even if they don't like the law. Sovereignty of Parliament and all that.

Thirdly, May basically said "No early election" so to break that pledge would make her look...well, y'know.

If the Supreme Court rule that the 1972 EC Act can't be repealed before a replacement is prepared it will derail the timelines completely. 

If that's the case I agree that May will want to go ahead anyway but will try to get a GE win behind her to strengthen her hand. Events dear boy.. etc. 

I know it doesn't look likely but think it may play out that way.

Edited by Awol

43 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Labour are 15 points behind in the polls. They'd destroy themselves just as much by saying yes. I mean, they might feel they have to, but I don't think it's cut-and-dried. 

Any opposition party that refuses an explicit shot at the title is commiting long term suicide, imo. That's what they exist for. 

Â