The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Isn't that kind of the same thing?

Erm...No?

Option 1 is parliament (edit: by which I mean the pro-remain side of parliament, obviously) saying "Brexit is stupid, let's not do it, bugger the result of the referendum", which I can guess a lot of them think, but wouldn't want to publicly admit, and I can't see that happening.

Option 2 is respecting the result of the referendum, even if they don't think it's the right thing to do, but providing parliamentary oversight of the government's plan, and not consenting to issuing article 50 until they're assured that the government has got a solid strategy in place instead of just shouting people down with "respect the will of the people" and "Brexit means Brexit".

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

UKIP still finding ways to display staggering stupidity. Current exhibit is Suzanne ' my brain is the size of a baby pea ' Evans. She wants to sack "Article 50 judges" Apparently, legal experts know nothing, the Article itself is an EU trap and activists are overturning the will of the people despite one of the leading clients having voted for Brexit. :crylaugh:

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

so we've had the vote, we're going to have months and months of this going through the courts, then through parliament, then the actual negotiations

id love to know the actual costs of the brexit decision, must have spunked a few hundred million up the wall by now

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rodders said:

UKIP still finding ways to display staggering stupidity

These folk must surely recognise that they are not experts on the UK constitution, and if they're not experts, then surely as a political party, as campaigners they should want to make use of expertise, knowledge and understanding? And when that expertise then reveals that "Parliament is sovereign" - the exact thing they've been campaigning for, for ages, shouting and screaming that it's so unfair just shows them (the UKIPs) up as utter arses.

Imagine the fuss they'd make if a PM decided "sod parliament, I'm gonna start negotiating to join the EU". Just monumental bell ends.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Erm...No?

Option 1 is parliament (edit: by which I mean the pro-remain side of parliament, obviously) saying "Brexit is stupid, let's not do it, bugger the result of the referendum", which I can guess a lot of them think, but wouldn't want to publicly admit, and I can't see that happening.

Option 2 is respecting the result of the referendum, even if they don't think it's the right thing to do, but providing parliamentary oversight of the government's plan, and not consenting to issuing article 50 until they're assured that the government has got a solid strategy in place instead of just shouting people down with "respect the will of the people" and "Brexit means Brexit".

T'was a joke... as in blocking it until the Government to have a coherent plan is the same as blocking it entirely....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This referendum will go down as one of the worst moves in British history.

Image result for david cameron

He's a Westham Villa fan you know, he could be reading this, be nice. :P 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

This referendum will go down as one of the worst moves in British history.

Not even close.

1. Bloody Sunday, Dublin, 1920.

2. Bloody Sunday, Belfast, 1972.

3. Declaration of war against Austria and Germany, 1914.

4. Armritsir Massacre, 1918.

5. Appointment of Alex McLeish as manager of Aston Villa Football Club, 2011.

Just now, Enda said:

Not even close.

1. Bloody Sunday, Dublin, 1920.

2. Bloody Sunday, Belfast, 1972.

3. Declaration of war against Austria and Germany, 1914.

4. Armritsir Massacre, 1918.

5. Appointment of Alex McLeish as manager of Aston Villa Football Club, 2011.

"One of"........

You lot think this is bad? I recently discovered that the ladybirds we are seeing mooching about in my flat, rent free I may add, are immigrant ladybirds from South Korea!

Pushing this through ASAP will be a god send. They've taken the jobs of the native lady birds. 

Edited by sexbelowsound

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I don't think they will or that they should. But what they ought to do is make sure that the people doing the actual "leaving" stuff with the EU do a proper job.

The referendum qustion was "remain or Leave" and Leave was the result. That's fine. And while "Brexit means Brexit" is not a bad sound bite, it's not a policy, it's not detail.

Parliament needs to be able to hold May, Fox, Boris and Davies to account for their plans and actions. They can't be and shouldn't be just trusted to do "what's right". We already know that at least 2 of them have a record of doing wrong. One of them is an utter F-wit, all of the are duplicitous and ambitious for themselves over all else. That's a terrible recipe for the people to lead the task of determining our future.

I see it as May et al being involved in negotiations which amount to both sides having different interests, and one side knowing beforehand what the other side wants and where they draw their red lines is a huge advantage, especially if their own is unknown.

I always assumed that it was the strategy of the Remainers to force the Brexiteers to reveal their hand to give the EU maximum advantage, which would lead to an outcome as near to Brexit-lite as possible.

I don't believe the accountability argument because according to the Remainers the outcome is going to be a total disaster and the outcome is beyond the mitigation of a very narrow negotiating position.

It is not imaginable that the opposition would not blame everything on the party in power, no matter what the outcome is, because that is their job. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

...negotiations which amount to both sides having different interests, and one side knowing beforehand what the other side wants and where they draw their red lines is a huge advantage, especially if their own is unknown.

I always assumed that it was the strategy of the Remainers to force the Brexiteers to reveal their hand to give the EU maximum advantage, which would lead to an outcome as near to Brexit-lite as possible.

I don't believe the accountability argument because according to the Remainers the outcome is going to be a total disaster and the outcome is beyond the mitigation of a very narrow negotiating position.

It is not imaginable that the opposition would not blame everything on the party in power, no matter what the outcome is, because that is their job. 

Well do both sides have different interests completely? I'm not so sure they do.

There are elements where there will be differences, but probably more where there is commonality. Differences would be mostly around money - we presumably don't want to pay out and the EU will want us to - both in terms of contributions and also in terms of kind of paying up our share of various debts and liabilities or whatever. I guess the other thing where there will be differences wirll be the political aspect - where the EU will want to make sure that the UK is worse off outside than inside - to stop others "foolishly" doing the same as us. But even on that "punishment" for us will also hurt them.

But the main thing is that until May, Fox, etc. can present a proper strategy and plan, nothing hould happen.It doesn't mean reveling your hand, but it does mean going on more than "Brexit means brexit", or "having cake and eating it".

We saw with the referendum that there was no plan, we aw with Cameron before the referendum that he had no plan in his negotiations with the others. Failing to have a plan is a humungous problem.

I don't understand your comment about not believing the accountabiity argument. It makes no sense to me could you explain, please?

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

UKIP still finding ways to display staggering stupidity. Current exhibit is Suzanne ' my brain is the size of a baby pea ' Evans. She wants to sack "Article 50 judges" Apparently, legal experts know nothing, the Article itself is an EU trap and activists are overturning the will of the people despite one of the leading clients having voted for Brexit. :crylaugh:

And so they should. One of them is a gay for goodness sake. A gay!

9CE7CA89-BA6B-461A-B08B-AD8B029265F9_zps

(Source - Twitter)

• Like 1

Â