The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, Danwichmann said:

Right,  I'm out of here for the night. I'm feeling pretty upset to be honest and if I hang around it won't be long before is start childish name calling and insults. 

I'll just say this. It isn't only about the economy for me, it's about how we view the world and the world views us. I believe this signals that we don't like foreigners, we don't want to work with others, that we believe we're special and superior to the rest of the world. That doesn't reflect me. Tomorrow there will be lots of people declaring we've taken our country,  but I've never felt mor alienated from the country of my birth. I've well ans truly had my country taken away from me tonight.

Time will tell

i don't see Britian becoming any less multi cultural than it already is 

its  not over yet but Europe can thank us for offering them salvation by letting us win the European championships 

3 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

I believe this signals that we don't like foreigners, we don't want to work with others, that we believe we're special and superior to the rest of the world.

Is that true of all countries that are not in the EU? We may be the first countries to leave the EU but won't be the only countries to be outside of the EU. There are even countries that have chosen not to join at all. Are all those countries inhabited by those who don't like foreigners, don't want to work with others and feel superior to the rest of the world?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

Right,  I'm out of here for the night. I'm feeling pretty upset to be honest and if I hang around it won't be long before is start childish name calling and insults. 

I'll just say this. It isn't only about the economy for me, it's about how we view the world and the world views us. I believe this signals that we don't like foreigners, we don't want to work with others, that we believe we're special and superior to the rest of the world. That doesn't reflect me. Tomorrow there will be lots of people declaring we've taken our country,  but I've never felt mor alienated from the country of my birth. I've well ans truly had my country taken away from me tonight.

I'm ignorant of many of the specifics, so I'll try not to embarrass myself, but as an outside observer, it seems like the Leave voters DO view the UK as special, and as well they should. Your history is one of going it alone (until you ring us) ;), and of succeeding as a people by not attaching yourselves to a foreign bureaucracy. 

But I can envision the the UK fracturing, with Scotland voting themselves out of the union, and Wales thinking about doing the same, although unlikely. NI will stay in the UK, but if this goes through, Scotland will set another vote, and they'll vote to stay in the EU, effectively severing ties with the rest of the UK.

But again, I really don't know WTF I'm talking about, so Mission Embarrassment accomplished!

Edited by maqroll

Wales want out on the whole so they can't use this as an excuse to secede, Scotland and Northern Ireland both want to stay in so they are both quite likely to try and leave.

Well, I hope those who voted leave exchanged their summer holiday currency yesterday because a pound is going to be worth **** all by the time the bureau de change opens for business today.  

Scotland will probably leave the UK now too, right?   Every region of Scotland has voted to remain part of the EU but they are being dragged away from it by England.  I'm not sure how they can stay part of the union as a result of this. 

• Like 1

There have been calls for Scotland to leave GB, and Northern Ireland to have a referendum on unity with the Republic. Wouldn't be surprised with a massive push for a general election either.

25 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

A win for xenophobia. Maybe a Trump presidency is not an impossibility. Unbelievable

Slightly off topic but Trump is going to win Ohio and Florida and traditionally the candidate that wins those states wins the presidency. I've lived in both states and Hilary hasn't got a chance.

This is a dark day - isolationism + them and us attitudes - none of this bodes well for the US election. Those are the signals this result sends.
Nikkei down 8% as I type.

Â