The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

To be fair, he's the same bloke who thinks people who haven't trained as teachers make better teachers.

He's a moron.

from the quality of those that have trained he's probably got a point :P

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Agreed, it's not that simple and yes, I agree we do tend to move in self selecting circles.

As a clumsy clunky tool, it works. Add a little geography, income, health etc., and it soon breaks up.

I was at a 'thing' recently and it was absolutely reverting to type. A table of about 11 pensioners absolutely did not want to hear any 'facts', they were concerned for the local kids getting local jobs because of european immigrants 'getting everything on a plate'. When faced with the 'fact' that the local JobCentre director has publicly stated this week that the job situation is 'vibrant' with jobs available right now in the Vale of Glamorgan for anyone that wants them, one of the pensioners simply shook his head and said 'no'. The Vale has a total population of over 120,000 and the current number of registered unemployed between the ages of 18 and 24 is 300. As of last week there were more than 300 jobs available. A walk along the High Street or the coffee shops of the prom will show any number of signs in windows 'staff wanted'. Admittedly not jobs as racing drivers or backing singers, but something not nothing. 'No'.

When told that the top three first generation immigrant groups in the Vale were India, The Phillippines and Republic of Ireland, that same table of pensioners again said 'no'.

Statistics direct from the Director of the job centres and direct from ONS via a political researcher with a doctorate. 'No'.

You can't argue with that.

I find Welsh Leave voters even more baffling than Leave voters elsewhere. Wales doesn't have an immigration problem, it has an emigration problem. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

from the quality of those that have trained he's probably got a point :P

Well if he does have a point, it's probably accidental, the bloke's got shit for brains.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Well if he does have a point, it's probably accidental, the bloke's got shit for brains.

You're going to love it in July / August when he becomes Prime Minster  :) 

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

To be fair, he's the same bloke who thinks people who haven't trained as teachers make better teachers.

He's a moron.

That might be true, in teaching he and his Government were pathetic, but in many cases it was simply continuing a Labour policy.
But actually he did have a point, even if it he didn't realise it. 

We spend so much time deciding people are worthwhile because they're qualified that we preclude the naturally able from entering roles.
In teaching this is imperative because not every teacher can teach, but every teacher has a qualification saying they can. It is also incredibly difficult to sack a bad teacher. It is a viscous circle.  
Opening up the access and getting more people into teaching because they can teach is sound logic, you can teach lesson planning etc. However the way they've done it is flawed. Proven by funding graduates with firsts to become teachers.

It's no surprise to me that the loss of technical colleges who concentrated on delivering trained employees has now finally been replaced by UTC's and apprenticeships, even if neither are actually supported by an industrial strategy of any worth. Either from the EU or UK.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

He's bound to have written a few articles that include the words "prime" and/or "minister", so what could go wrong.

Gove being a candidate almost makes Boris look a bit better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I find Welsh Leave voters even more baffling than Leave voters elsewhere. Wales doesn't have an immigration problem, it has an emigration problem. 

It's a good point, in some ways they need as much immigration as possible to encourage infrastructure investment. 
The question is where will the jobs come from and where will they go?

Gove is an idiot of the highest order. He's completely poisoned the relationship between teachersand government and done damage to the profession that will take years to repair. He's narrowed the curriculum and reduced everything to the most irrelevant type of testable knowledge. 

I will say this for him however, he is consistent. He didn't listen to experts then, and he still won't listen to anyone who has a clue. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

Gove is an idiot of the highest order. He's completely poisoned the relationship between teachersand government and done damage to the profession that will take years to repair. He's narrowed the curriculum and reduced everything to the most irrelevant type of testable knowledge. 

I will say this for him however, he is consistent. He didn't listen to experts then, and he still won't listen to anyone who has a clue. 

I once applied as a position to be his parliamentary assistant. My application mentioned exactly that, in a very polite way.

I got a really nice rejection letter :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

I once applied as a position to be his parliamentary assistant. My application mentioned exactly that, in a very polite way.

I got a really nice rejection letter :)

Could have been worse. Imagine getting the job and having to work with the cretin. *shudder* 

6 minutes ago, choffer said:

I'm guessing it's too late to apply for a postal vote now, isn't it?

Just been told I'm flying north on the day. 6am flight out. 10am flight back. :bang:

Sounds like your boss doesn't want you to vote! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, choffer said:

I'm guessing it's too late to apply for a postal vote now, isn't it?

Just been told I'm flying north on the day. 6am flight out. 10am flight back. :bang:

Can you still have someone vote in proxy?

8 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

Can you still have someone vote in proxy?

Looks like that's my only option. Will have to pick carefully so I can trust my proxy.

Ugh, the subject hasn't been discussed at work at all until day. I've been dreading it but I suppose it was bound to happen this week. I'm the first to admit I know very little about the EU and the debate in general, but I feel really intelligent after what I've heard this afternoon.

I tried to stop listening after "we've been in the EU for five years now and it's not working" and "the UK is a strong enough continent on its own, we don't need the EU".

• Like 4

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Why the merry **** would they express 4 to 1 ON as having the numbers 1 then 4? How is that remotely sensible?

The "1 then 4" is 1 pound back for every 4 you staked, if the bet comes in.

Of course, the meddling bureaucrats in the nasty EU are about to ban* expressing odds in this way, insisting that only decimal odds can be used. Up Yours Hermann!

*they're not, I made it up, but hey, everyone else is at it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Ugh, the subject hasn't been discussed at work at all until day. I've been dreading it but I suppose it was bound to happen this week. I'm the first to admit I know very little about the EU and the debate in general, but I feel really intelligent after what I've heard this afternoon.

I tried to stop listening after "we've been in the EU for five years now and it's not working" and "the UK is a strong enough continent on its own, we don't need the EU".

Scary, isn't it?

Â