Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

34 minutes ago, useless said:

People might not agree with the nature of the protest or the timing of it. Doesn't mean to say that they have no right to register their disappointment at the clubs current plight, out loud. 

Well if they're not happy why not try and do something to change it? No ones asking anyone to do anything drastic, just leave a game with other fans concerned and show a bit of solidarity. If you can't be arsed to even try then just sitting there complaining is a bit daft IMO. 

• Like 1

Even if you don't think it will work or even if you don't get the message. Why not show some support to fellow fans rather than the millionaire players and board who have been taking the piss out of you for years?

We all love the club, but choosing to cheer on my fellow fans who want things to change or cheer on the likes of lescott sending this club down. It's an easy choice. 

• Like 3

With all due respect, when people were offering to help out with writing the mission statement you could have had an input. The mission statement was a collaborative effort from multiple people.

That being said, it reads very similar IMO.

I've had my say from the start, and expressed my point a number of times. It's not my fault that people have taken it as criticism. I don't want to be the one to tell people what the mission statement should be, when everytime I've asked for it to be clearer, my comments have been shot down by people saying it IS clear.

For me, if you can't be bothered to get behind a very simple protest that others have organised for you, then you don't have much right to moan and complain about the state the club is in. 

What utter bullsh*t Jonah.

That's like me saying "If you don't agree with me banging these pots and pans outside the Police Headquarters as a show of my anger at taxes, then you don't have any right to moan about taxes". They both have an equally flawed logic, even if my example is exaggerated.

@Rob182

Nobody behind the scenes has taken it as "criticism", not that there is anything wrong with a little criticism. 

It's as clear as it can be made, by us, at this point bud. It's out there, no turning back now. We made many changes specifically because of the views expressed on this thread, seeing as this is about Aston Villa as a whole and nobody, I repeat NOBODY is in this for personal glory. Believe me it's not worth doing it for that!

Don't know what else to say to you aside from that. Thank you?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I've had my say from the start, and expressed my point a number of times. It's not my fault that people have taken it as criticism. I don't want to be the one to tell people what the mission statement should be, when everytime I've asked for it to be clearer, my comments have been shot down by people saying it IS clear.

What utter bullsh*t Jonah.

That's like me saying "If you don't agree with me banging these pots and pans outside the Police Headquarters as a show of my anger at taxes, then you don't have any right to moan about taxes". They both have an equally flawed logic, even if my example is exaggerated.

In your analogy, if instead of showing anger you stood outside supporting them no matter how high they raised the taxes, then I'd say the same. 

DDID, that's fair enough, and that's basically the answer I've been given all along. It's not an answer I particularly agree with. Just because it's 'now out there', means it can't be re-done or clarified?

I'm just expressing that I think there will be fewer people joining in, compared to how many would have if a few more actual 'material' (I guess you could call them?) demands were noted.

For what it's worth, me and my mate who have STs in the Holte probably will leave at 74 minutes, as I hope this movement does have some effect.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

DDID, that's fair enough, and that's basically the answer I've been given all along. It's not an answer I particularly agree with. Just because it's 'now out there', means it can't be re-done or clarified?

I'm just expressing that I think there will be fewer people joining in, compared to how many would have if a few more actual 'material' (I guess you could call them?) demands were noted.

For what it's worth, me and my mate who have STs in the Holte probably will leave at 74 minutes, as I hope this movement does have some effect.

We are trying to do that through the media. Mark will be on WM again tonight (between 6pm and 7pm) and before the game on Tuesday. There will be people at the ground handing out flyers too and we will hopefully be in a position to answer questions.

Though as I say it's as clear as we can make it. It's a show of force, we wanted this debate. We want to bring attention to Mr Lerner et al. We didn't have a long consultation period, for many many reasons that wasn't an option. So we're doing the best we have with what we have. Sorry if that sounds a bit "weak" but it's all I have for you. 

Personally, I want Lerner out. But if you start fighting straight off the bat on that ticket then you're already on to a loser because the easy answer (for fans or club) to give is "he already want's out". Even though I personally don't believe he wants it anywhere near enough. He's still holding out for one hundred and fifty million pounds, it's unacceptable.  

How about Villa Talkers list THEIR aims? This is about all of us after all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I wasn't having a dig. All I was saying was if you felt that you could have had some input into the mission statement then the people who wrote it definitely would have listened but its difficult to do that from the forum.

@HanoiVillan for example expressed concerns about the mission statement in its original format and it wasn't really taken on board until he reached out via PM. It's not because its some little clique behind the scenes, in fact the small group has expanded a lot since Sunday, It was just incredibly frantic and picking up stuff from the thread was hard.

Remember, this isn't even a week old yet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We are trying to do that through the media. Mark will be on WM again tonight (between 6pm and 7pm) and before the game on Tuesday. There will be people at the ground handing out flyers too and we will hopefully be in a position to answer questions.

I wasn't on WM tonight. I had a good chat with Mark Regan the presenter about a hour before and they didn't want to be seen to be championing us too much. Mike McKenna was on last Friday, they will be hopefully doing an interview with Mike around an hour before kick off on Tuesday night which is great as will catch people on way to the game in the car. Also they are going to get me on the breakfast show on Tuesday morning which goes to a much wider audience.

Tonight Tom Ross allowed us to promote what we are doing on the goalzone on Free radio 80's/1152 MW. Fair play to Tom he gave me a good 10 minutes at the start of the show and allowed me to promote the social media sites/website. You should be able to listen again shortly on http://www.freeradio.co.uk/football/ but at the moment it is still last Fridays show. 

Edited by markavfc40

I just wanted to chip in here and encourage everyone to take ten minutes and listen to @markavfc40's interview with Tom Ross on the link above. The interview starts about five minutes in. 

It's a wonderful interview, partly because it goes on for ten minutes and is quite wide-ranging, rather than being the soundbite-driven style you so often get. Instead, they cover quite a lot of issues, and I think it stands as a testament to exactly where we are as a club at the moment. The frustration with our mis-management is so obvious, and very eloquently expressed. I think it's a great advert for this protest, but even if you don't agree with the protest, I'd encourage you to listen and hear where we're coming from. You'll find a lot to nod along to even if you aren't on board with the walkout. 

EDIT: That link above doesn't work for some reason, here it is: http://www.freeradio.co.uk/football/ - you need to click on 'Listen: Friday' and then Mark starts 5 minutes in. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Mark's one of the posters I really respect on this site, his posts are always well though out and balanced so no surprise he's taken to the media stuff effortlessly.

Can't say I have much time for Regan on WM tbh although I imagine the conversation is confidential. Could be worse, could've been "Franksy" and him immediately changing the subject to how many Villa players would get in the WBA 11 after one minute of chat. Clueless. 

Who does the breakfast show in the morning out of interest these days, I know he did it years back. 

Latest on ITV:

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2016-02-27/football-aston-villa-remi-garde-villa-fans-supporters-planning-protest/?

Aston Villa boss Remi Garde admits he understands the fans' desire to protest but urged them not to distract the team.

Villa supporters are planning to walk out in the 74th minute of their next three home games with the club staring at relegation from the Premier League.

They are bottom and eight points from safety ahead of today's trip to Stokefans

A number of Aston Villa fans left the ground after the team's 6-0 defeat to Liverpool on 14 February.  Credit: PA

The protests are planned in the 74th minute to signify when Villa were founded in 1874 with supporters angry at the lack of direction as the club looks certain to drop into the Championship.

I can understand. It's such a painful situation, such a painful season, that everybody who loves this football club has to cope with.

Fans are fully part of this situation we have to deal with. If they want to protest what can I say? What can I do? I have only been here for four months and this protest is probably the result of years.

I would prefer if this kind of demonstration takes place outside the game while we still have the possibility to win games for survival. My job is to believe we can still win games. And the best way to win games is to prepare the team well and make sure the players have the full desire to win. 

Then we need the support of the fans. But I haven't got any advice to give to fans who have followed this club for years.

– REMI GARDE, ASTON VILLA MANAGER

Liverpool fans walked out in their 2-2 draw with Sunderland earlier this month in protest over ticket prices for next season.

The Reds were 2-0 up at the time before shipping two late goals and Garde - who remains without the banned Jordan Ayew and injured Jack Grealish - conceded fans' actions could have consequences on the pitch.

He said: "It's difficult to affirm, it's difficult to say 100 per cent but you can imagine it had an effect."

Edited by Brumstopdogs

16 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Even if you don't think it will work or even if you don't get the message. Why not show some support to fellow fans rather than the millionaire players and board who have been taking the piss out of you for years?

We all love the club, but choosing to cheer on my fellow fans who want things to change or cheer on the likes of lescott sending this club down. It's an easy choice. 

I Want to lick you :D

Was going to support the walkout. But....Garde has asked fans to stick with the team. Can't kick this guy  while he's doing his best in very difficult circumstances. It breaks my heart what's happening to our club. But until all hope is lost, I will stay to support them. I was a child of the revolution in 68. Have to say, even then, we had more reason for optimism than now. End of the season is a different story, I'll be there on the barricades with everyone else.

Just now, Designer1 said:

Missing a T on the link there mate - just retweeted it and then noticed :)

I know, stupid idiot i am. The amount of times i have had to type that out, copy and paste etc, i can't believe i messed it up when asking for exposure. He's replied at least and i've sent him the correct information.

• Like 1

tbf I've been boycotting the concessions since they changed to he cheese and onion pasties to pies

I want my villa back :(

But in all seriousness without listening to that interview yet it shows what a shambles we are top to bottom, I doubt anyone is talking about our ticket office and how shit they are, something I'd guess a fair few lions club chairman will tell you off the record, our food and drink stalls are white my one in the lower holte sells stuff off menu (southern fried chicken etc)

There isn't a single element of the club that is even half sensibly run at the moment, it's all rubbish 

Â