Ratings and Reactions: Wycombe v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

Maybe it's just me on here, they deserved the abuse. Ok granted some individuals warrant more abuse than others and some none at all, but life's tough sometimes and you have to take crap for the whole (I do at work for others daily) As a fanbase we've been more than patient, I would bet good money no other establish Premier league teams fans would have put up with the last 5 years we've had. 

We all know that the majority of the blame lies with Lerner and his lackies but the players have stopped trying, we've cheered and backed them for years now even though they've served up gash. Frankly when you're paid as much as they're paid and the club is in the situation it's in to not even run 10 yards you deserve to be told as much.

just as embarrassing as the blokes rant and let's face it he obviously loves the club he's hurting badly is the meek acceptance of no effort from some of the fanbase, and the shots at other fans for criticism of the side. We should clap the dross we're being served like good little consumers then obviously it seems. Pathetic.

Football at its core is tribal, it stirs emotions and sometimes it's provokes irrational thought and action, I feel that it's no small thing when I say I love this club I'd do most anything for it and I freely admit sometimes I'm irrational about it. To me if you support the club you can empathise with someone losing it at the state far more than someone who thinks we should just accept it.

The likes of Bacuna may not be at fault for our current predicament but as he's one of 11 that get repeated chances to turn it around if he and others like him don't give it everything then I'll get on there back because my patience has snapped, they're more than compensated for it.

3 hours ago, Dorset77Villa said:

I was thinking the same thing, get Ainsworth in the coaching set up as Asst Manager and then when Garde moves on give him the Managers job.

Showed passion kicking every ball on the side line and his tactics were spot on.

I would get him I asap

Yeah, then we can get rid of him after 9 months.

11 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Maybe it's just me on here, they deserved the abuse. Ok granted some individuals warrant more abuse than others and some none at all, but life's tough sometimes and you have to take crap for the whole (I do at work for others daily) As a fanbase we've been more than patient, I would bet good money no other establish Premier league teams fans would have put up with the last 5 years we've had. 

We all know that the majority of the blame lies with Lerner and his lackies but the players have stopped trying, we've cheered and backed them for years now even though they've served up gash. Frankly when you're paid as much as they're paid and the club is in the situation it's in to not even run 10 yards you deserve to be told as much.

just as embarrassing as the blokes rant and let's face it he obviously loves the club he's hurting badly is the meek acceptance of no effort from some of the fanbase, and the shots at other fans for criticism of the side. We should clap the dross we're being served like good little consumers then obviously it seems. Pathetic.

Football at its core is tribal, it stirs emotions and sometimes it's provokes irrational thought and action, I feel that it's no small thing when I say I love this club I'd do most anything for it and I freely admit sometimes I'm irrational about it. To me if you support the club you can empathise with someone losing it at the state far more than someone who thinks we should just accept it.

The likes of Bacuna may not be at fault for our current predicament but as he's one of 11 that get repeated chances to turn it around if he and others like him don't give it everything then I'll get on there back because my patience has snapped, they're more than compensated for it.

Some abuse and stick maybe, vile poisonous language throughout - not for me. Watching today and I truly believe this, that some players are just not good enough and no player is going to say 'hey I'm out my depth here so take me out of it'! Short comings and failings happen in any walk of life and some of these players are in my opinion out of their depth. We do have a poor squad.   They signed for a great club on good money so who can blame them for that. Do they care - I honestly don't know but let's not put every player in the 'don't care' box. I think some of them do and I think some them don't.  We just need to start again with this team, either now and/or in the summer, because make no mistake this squad would not get out of the Championship! Just hope Garde or whoever starts next season as manager knows this. 

If it wasn't for the penalty we would've won today. Couldn't really see why it was given so will have to watch MOTD later to see if it was just. As bad as we are, Wycombe didn't look like scoring. I have to say there were a couple of occasions early in the first half that I think we would've conceded from if Guzan had been playing. Thought Bunn had a decent enough game.

The defence. I liked seeing Richards at RB, first half he got forward well and was hampered in the second by whatever niggly injury he had. Clark was solid enough and Okore the same, making up for any mistakes he had made by letting the ball bounce. Have to say for once that Richardson was alright today. Usual share of suicidal errors but he made one crucial challenge and last twenty minutes got forward well to supplement the attack.

Gil had a good game despite losing the ball a bit too often for my liking; will let him off because at times he has nobody offering him worthwhile support,was strange that he was taken off but I assume it was to conserve his fitness for the next two league games.

Thought Westwood could and should have run the game today. A few nice touches but disappointing. I was disappointed at the negativity against Bacuna in the crowd, as far as I can see he always works his balls off for the team and actually looks like he cares.

Gana made some decent interceptions and runs but needs to work on his end product (whether that is a killer pass or a decent shot).

Gestede was disappointing today. He was beasted by the bloke they had man marking him. However I will say that he wasn't helped by Sinclair up with him who was terrible today IMO. Embarrassingly enough I put £1 on a Sinclair hat trick yesterday!

Subs: Ayew and Veretout improved is massively and both should've started in my opinion. I love that Ayew looks like he is hurting about how shit we are as the fans are. I think Kozak was coming on for Gestede (he started changing out of his training gear) but Richards must have called over to say he couldn't continue, hence Lyden coming on.

I was ashamed of the fans banging on the back of the dugout and abusing the players as they went off. I understand people are pissed off but gain some **** perspective. Does shouting at a group of men whose confidence is clearly shot to shit make you feel better about our situation?

The replay will be interesting, i think at Villa park we will have too much for them because we were the better team today.

One final point, I wasn't impressed at the block I was in being made to sit down so that the journalists in the press box behind could have a better view. Did they pay to get in?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chappy said:

If it wasn't for the penalty we would've won today. Couldn't really see why it was given so will have to watch MOTD later to see if it was just. As bad as we are, Wycombe didn't look like scoring. I have to say there were a couple of occasions early in the first half that I think we would've conceded from if Guzan had been playing. Thought Bunn had a decent enough game.

The defence. I liked seeing Richards at RB, first half he got forward well and was hampered in the second by whatever niggly injury he had. Clark was solid enough and Okore the same, making up for any mistakes he had made by letting the ball bounce. Have to say for once that Richardson was alright today. Usual share of suicidal errors but he made one crucial challenge and last twenty minutes got forward well to supplement the attack.

Gil had a good game despite losing the ball a bit too often for my liking; will let him off because at times he has nobody offering him worthwhile support,was strange that he was taken off but I assume it was to conserve his fitness for the next two league games.

Thought Westwood could and should have run the game today. A few nice touches but disappointing. I was disappointed at the negativity against Bacuna in the crowd, as far as I can see he always works his balls off for the team and actually looks like he cares.

Gana made some decent interceptions and runs but needs to work on his end product (whether that is a killer pass or a decent shot).

Gestede was disappointing today. He was beasted by the bloke they had man marking him. However I will say that he wasn't helped by Sinclair up with him who was terrible today IMO. Embarrassingly enough I put £1 on a Sinclair hat trick yesterday!

Subs: Ayew and Veretout improved is massively and both should've started in my opinion. I love that Ayew looks like he is hurting about how shit we are as the fans are. I think Kozak was coming on for Gestede (he started changing out of his training gear) but Richards must have called over to say he couldn't continue, hence Lyden coming on.

I was ashamed of the fans banging on the back of the dugout and abusing the players as they went off. I understand people are pissed off but gain some **** perspective. Does shouting at a group of men whose confidence is clearly shot to shit make you feel better about our situation?

The replay will be interesting, i think at Villa park we will have too much for them because we were the better team today.

One final point, I wasn't impressed at the block I was in being made to sit down so that the journalists in the press box behind could have a better view. Did they pay to get in?

Good post and pretty much how I saw it today as well just couldn't be bothered to write it. 

• Like 1

I think our problem is a lack of two pacey wingers and much greater quality and competition up front, I think we can live with most of the rest. We used to be a team that played on the counter attack very well, but we are slow pedestrian in attack knowadays. 

• Like 1

I don't agree with the abuse I think it achieves nothing but I can understand why it happens,we are poor too many players out of there depth,low confidence etc,but and I hate when fans accuse players of this but unfortunately in this case it's true the attitude and body language of some of the Villa players is appalling ,we have been out worked in every game this season which frankly is a disgrace if we don't have work rate we have nothing especially with the calibre of players we have at moment ,all we ask is the players give it everything and look after that if we don't get the result so be it but this carry on off not giving a toss and going through the motions in a game sickens me .

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fairy, if he'd thrown a punch at them, would that have been justified?

Obviously not, but was his language any different from what they're called in the stands and bars in and out of the ground? I bet the language is no different on the training ground either. I just think the mass condemning of the bloke is a bit ott is all, I understand his frustration.

19 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Some abuse and stick maybe, vile poisonous language throughout - not for me. Watching today and I truly believe this, that some players are just not good enough and no player is going to say 'hey I'm out my depth here so take me out of it'! Short comings and failings happen in any walk of life and some of these players are in my opinion out of their depth. We do have a poor squad.   They signed for a great club on good money so who can blame them for that. Do they care - I honestly don't know but let's not put every player in the 'don't care' box. I think some of them do and I think some them don't.  We just need to start again with this team, either now and/or in the summer, because make no mistake this squad would not get out of the Championship! Just hope Garde or whoever starts next season as manager knows this. 

I'm of the opinion that some aren't all that good, I think they're not helping themselves much through lack of effort though, people forget this squad was 2 up at Leicester, there's potential there, but concentration and application are lacking. 

I think we're doomed for a few years in the championship to, I don't think Garde is getting enough criticism either, he's had next to no impact and I don't have much faith in him.

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think our problem is a lack of two pacey wingers and much greater quality and competition up front, I think we can live with most of the rest. We used to be a team that played on the counter attack very well, but we are slow pedestrian in attack knowadays. 

Totally agree with this, with someone like A Young out wide, we were always a treat but not at present. Gestede just isn't good enough to lead a line either.  Didn't realise until just now that Afobe is possibly joining Bournemouth, now there's a player who could have been good for us. Sad when newly promoted teams are already building a better team than ours!! Sad times now and ahead.

Today really showed how much a mess the club is in. 

As for the abuse I think a lot of the players deserved it today as they were pathetic and have been all season. The guy in the video was out of order but I get it. How many saves did their keeper have to make in the second half? 1 maybe 2. We are supposed to be a PL side ffs!  The amount of times the players bottled 50 50s today was laughable as well. Desperate times, I never thought it would get this bad and unfortunately it will probably only get worse

7 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Totally agree with this, with someone like A Young out wide, we were always a treat but not at present. Gestede just isn't good enough to lead a line either.  Didn't realise until just now that Afobe is possibly joining Bournemouth, now there's a player who could have been good for us. Sad when newly promoted teams are already building a better team than ours!! Sad times now and ahead.

Bang on Ferg, I said in the match thread that I would pay £14m for Andros Townsend this window, and who ever we can persuade upfront. Afobe looks quality, should be an ideal fit, gutted if he goes to Bournemouth.

we need an outlet to releive the pressure, and a pacey winger running it into the box always hurts, ups your corner count, makes team hang back so there's a bit of relief in midfield. Our attacks are so pedestrian nowadays, you just never believe we are going to score.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, chappy said:

Interesting to read your opinion, glad you shared it. We are all hurting badly. People just show it in different ways. As much as I hate what we have become, I can't bring myself to travel half way across the country and abuse our players. I'm resigned to us going down, I just don't think giving them abuse is helping anyone, it is likely to make the rest of the season worse than better. I don't think I'm 'meekly accepting' our fate just because I clapped our players off today, thinking about how bad we are almost brings me to tears after the beers I've had today! I care, I just think the worst thing that could happen IMO is to give the players a reason to not give a shit. Gestede was poor today but watching him come off the pitch and telling someone to **** off really saddened me. We have someone who is clearly struggling to perform and stretched to breaking point like that isn't right. If I'd had a shit day at work, was frustrated with myself and knew I'd done next to nothing right the last thing I would need is someone calling me a word removed on my way home. I'd probably tell them to **** off too. In general with regards to Gestede and expectations I think we have been spoiled by having Benteke in recent years, but that's for another thread.

It's a difficult one because I think that fans that pay hard earned money to go and watch the team deserve to have their say but venting like happened today and last weekend doesn't help anyone IMO.

Chappy, I can see your point, and incidentally don't condone the abusing players thing (in person!), but the travelling fans are the essence of the club: more than the owner, the manager and the players, who are all being paid very well for what are doing, whereas your travelling fan travels in cattle class, spends hard earned money to support the team in the pissing cold and rain and is served up lacklustre rubbish game after game. Gestede plays 60 minutes, takes some stick, and is driven home in a warm coach to his lovely house and £30k a week, every week. I think a reality check is deserved every now and then, it comes with the territory.

• Like 1

Chappy, I can see your point, and incidentally don't condone the abusing players thing (in person!), but the travelling fans are the essence of the club: more than the owner, the manager and the players, who are all being paid very well for what are doing, whereas your travelling fan travels in cattle class, spends hard earned money to support the team in the pissing cold and rain and is served up lacklustre rubbish game after game. Gestede plays 60 minutes, takes some stick, and is driven home in a warm coach to his lovely house and £30k a week, every week. I think a reality check is deserved every now and then, it comes with the territory.

Completely get your point and not sure why I'm replying really. I love our away support and I love being part of it when I can get to games. I've just been disappointed at a minority at the two most recent games I guess. Anyway I'm pissed, I'll stop replying! UTV

• Like 1

Anyway, that video and the abuse represented a minority of the club. What I thought was class about our fans, and I joined in with this aswell, was clapping the Wycombe players off the pitch at the end. But of course, the media won't pick up on this, because it wont sell newspapers.

• Like 2