What can Jeremy Peace teach Randy Lerner?

Marka Ragnos

The question is partly rhetorical, and I realise there are all sorts of good, clever reasons why such a comparison doesn't make sense.

But I think there are valid points of comparison, too, between the two club entities and how ownership could/should work. If you think it's apples and pears, tell us why.

I would love to hear your thoughts on contrasting approaches to ownership. Please feel free to bring in other owners, too (the Glazers, etc.), past and present ...

Edited by Marka Ragnos

How to be a tight word removed

How to get loan deals and when to pay fees depending on what he's trying to do with the tax man

How never to put enough money in to the team for them ever to be to even think of achieving anything

I can go on and on, pulls is keeping them in the prem with his dire brand of robbing points football, he's got the same ceiling that he's always had, paired with the ceiling that peace has got, they're a nothing club going nowhere, a big part of the happy to be here mentality that plagues modern football

I'd still trade it for where we're going though :(

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

How to be a tight word removed

How to get loan deals and when to pay fees depending on what he's trying to do with the tax man

How never to put enough money in to the team for them ever to be to even think of achieving anything

I can go on and on, pulls is keeping them in the prem with his dire brand of robbing points football, he's got the same ceiling that he's always had, paired with the ceiling that peace has got, they're a nothing club going nowhere, a big part of the happy to be here mentality that plagues modern football

I'd still trade it for where we're going though :(

I wouldn't. We may be going down but I'd bet on us finishing higher than them in 5/6 years time.

• Like 1

Not a lot. He went for a manager that could keep them up on a shoestring before we could hire him although back then we would possibly not have wanted him. I guess he could teach him how to be lucky although last season they were not lucky when they came up against us twice in a week. Oh he could teach him how to get to Villa Park as he has been there more often than our current so called "custodian" in the past couple of seasons!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mantis said:

I wouldn't. We may be going down but I'd bet on us finishing higher than them in 5/6 years time.

I would not take that bet

• Like 2

Perhaps a better question is who could Lerner learn a thing or two from? Bill Kenwright perhaps?

It's ideal to say let's just do what Southampton/Bournemouth/Swansea etc have done - but that's taken years of planning and building sustainably from the lower leagues. There's also every chance they could disappear just as quickly, like Wigan and Bolton.

For me his decisions on appointments all had a certain degree of logic at the time (with the one obvious exception), they all just turned out to be horrible in hindsight. But arguably you could say that about half the clubs in the football league. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Perhaps a better question is who could Lerner learn a thing or two from? Bill Kenwright perhaps?

It's ideal to say let's just do what Southampton/Bournemouth/Swansea etc have done - but that's taken years of planning and building sustainably from the lower leagues. There's also every chance they could disappear just as quickly, like Wigan and Bolton.

For me his decisions on appointments all had a certain degree of logic at the time (with the one obvious exception), they all just turned out to be horrible in hindsight. But arguably you could say that about half the clubs in the football league. 

There was an Everton fan who posted  a very interesting article on Kenwright. When you read that you will probably not use Kenwright as a good example. Whilst Everton have outperformed us on the pitch their off the field finances and dealings are really shady. Many Everton fans want Kenwright gone because of this

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

There was an Everton fan who posted  a very interesting article on Kenwright. When you read that you will probably not use Kenwright as a good example. Whilst Everton have outperformed us on the pitch their off the field finances and dealings are really shady. Many Everton fans want Kenwright gone because of this

Maybe Stoke? Other than the obvious wealthy clubs is there any team whose fans are satisfied/pleased/delighted/proud of their owners?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Peace is hated at the Albion, he has the club up for sale, he's running it on a shoestring budget and he's not particularly interested in moving it forward. I suppose if he could tap dance he could teach him that?

Hated, yes -- and admired if not beloved, as well. And often at the same time, from what I can tell. ;)

10 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Maybe Stoke? Other than the obvious wealthy clubs is there any team whose fans are satisfied/pleased/delighted/proud of their owners?

Leicester, Stoke, Watford, Crystal Palace, Swansea, West Ham, Southampton, Norwich, Bournemouth ???

That would be my guess for clubs in the prem outside the big boys ( I include Spurs in that )

10 minutes ago, KHV said:

Leicester, Stoke, Watford, Crystal Palace, Swansea, West Ham, Southampton, Norwich, Bournemouth ???

That would be my guess for clubs in the prem outside the big boys ( I include Spurs in that )

A lot of them have gone bust and then bought on the cheap and slowly rebuilt in the time Randy has been here.  While they're currently better off, we haven't quite sunk to their lowest points (yet!).  

West Brom were lucky to stay up in the calendar year of 2014 when you think they had Pepe Mel (from January-May) and then Alan Irvine which remains one of the most baffling appointments in PL history up to December. 

They collected enough points under Steve Clarke to be o.k in 13/14 (just as they actually finished below us in the end) and then Pulis did his usual.

So I wouldn't say he's much better at appointing managers in recent times, just realised he couldn't afford another f*** up otherwise they would be down so went for Pulis so that's maybe the one thing we should've done.

Edit: They also seemed to have struggled a bit internally since Dan Ashworth left for tthe FA, they were making some very clever signings under him. Less so nowadays...

Edited by VillaChris

Â