The VT Deadpool 2016

Seat68

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm slightly surprised at how much she seems to have meant to some of you. My first reaction was " Well, yeah, sad, but just another alky Hollywood type". 

TBH I could say the same about every celeb death

yeah it's sad they've died , but anyway what's for breakfast ? .... this outpouring of grief on social media is as baffling to me as are those people who queue up to sign a book of condolences for someone they never met.

Countless veterans , humanitarians or unsung heroes died this year without a single Facebook like or outpouring of grief from the masses , someone who sang a song whilst off his face on drugs died and the world goes into meltdown 

sometimes I wish they would stop the world so I could get off

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

But those people are not usually people that the masses (and certainly in the West) were touched by.

<<Insert dead 70's icon of your choice name here >>

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I think is bizarre that people seem unable to understand that figures that directly impacted a person's life gives them a feeling of grief.

That's the bit I personally can't grasp, I don't get the connection between customer/fan and artist etc. The impact is one way. I stress there is nothing wrong with that, its just what I don't understand. My wife was genuinely upset when Lux Interior died and I was sad when Cash and Peel died but it was fleeting sadness.

• Like 1

The only one that ever really affected me was John Lennon. The Beatles were a major part of my young life, and I was genuinely upset - but then again, it was a murder, not old age or drink/drugs. 

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

That's the bit I personally can't grasp, I don't get the connection between customer/fan and artist etc. The impact is one way. I stress there is nothing wrong with that, its just what I don't understand. My wife was genuinely upset when Lux Interior died and I was sad when Cash and Peel died but it was fleeting sadness.

You've said yourself you felt sad when Cash and Peel went. You know the feeling. People feel loss differently. I don't think there will be many people today sat there absolutely distraught that Fisher is dead, but millions will have a sadness, perhaps only slight, that she's gone and the work we have is all there will ever be now.

• Like 3

Chindie has summed it up excellently, and pretty much made the point I was going to. In the case of Carrie Fisher, she's a part of my childhood that is full of the happy memories associated to Star Wars. She played a major character in arguably the biggest film franchise in cinema history. Obviously people are going to be saddened by her death. Not in the same way as a loved one or friend, but still enough to cause a reaction. 

She's going to be my avatar for a while now, and on a happier note, may deflect some of my alleged Sex In The City love, that gave me my custom title!  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Chindie has summed it up excellently, and pretty much made the point I was going to. In the case of Carrie Fisher, she's a part of my childhood that is full of the happy memories associated to Star Wars. She played a major character in arguably the biggest film franchise in cinema history. Obviously people are going to be saddened by her death. Not in the same way as a loved one or friend, but still enough to cause a reaction. 

She's going to be my avatar for a while now, and on a happier note, may deflect some of my alleged Sex In The City love, that gave me my custom title!  

Playing Soggy biscuit was part of my happy childhood memories but that doesn't mean I'm going to put a digestive biscuit as my avatar and lament it's demise once they cease to exist  following Brexit :)

i guess im just not the sentimental type ....

I get the emotional attachment people have with certain famous people as they will have been genuinely touched by these people and they will have a connection with a part of there lives.

Take a recent example in George Michael. I have read of people saying they met their partner and one of his song was playing, their first wedding dance was to one of his songs, or that one of his songs gave them comfort at a time of grieving. He also gave millions to charity and tens of thousands directly to individuals so will have touched people in that way.

You can't simply take away emotional attachment and see things in a cold light and it is totally natural that some will connect with certain individuals that they have never met.

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I get the emotional attachment people have with certain famous people as they will have been genuinely touched by these people and they will have a connection with a part of there lives.

Take a recent example in George Michael. I have read of people saying they met their partner and one of his song was playing, their first wedding dance was to one of his songs, or that one of his songs gave them comfort at a time of grieving. He also gave millions to charity and tens of thousands directly to individuals so will have touched people in that way.

You can't simply take away emotional attachment and see things in a cold light and it is totally natural that some will connect with certain individuals that they have never met.

One of my friends has erm "met" George Michael numerous times so I can understand him feeling a bit devasted by the news , getting a snog of some girl to wake me up before you go go at a school disco does not however justify changing your profile picture or posting a link to a video of George Michael doing a warm up session with Queen and wailing that David Bowie was also present and  oh my god 2016 is so cruel 

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

One of my friends has erm "met" George Michael numerous times so I can understand him feeling a bit devasted by the news , getting a snog of some girl to wake me up before you go go at a school disco does not however justify changing your profile picture or posting a link to a video of George Michael doing a warm up session with Queen and wailing that David Bowie was also present and  oh my god 2016 is so cruel 

Sounds like you might just be annoyed at people you suspect are just attention seeking?

I think if someone's genuinely saddened by a celebrity death it's fair do's. I still haven't gotten over Rik Mayall...

EDIT: To be fair, there does seem to have been a huge increase in the amount of people I know that were huge George Michael fans.

Edited by Paddywhack
I thought of something else I wanted to say :D

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I probably didn't explain very well in fairness but in terms of singers then people, certainly fans, will have experienced love and loss listening to their songs and will get an emotional attachment in that way.

Edited by markavfc40

I was 5 when Star Wars was released.

Trying to remember another toy I owned that depicted a female character. There really weren't any for boys that I recall? She was a bit special in that respect.

I was too old for He Man, so missed out on Evil Lyn and the sorceress. Then the Japanese arrived and female characters became really cool, Deunan, Chun Li and Zoltar... Hang on... Zoltar was apparently transgender!  Wow... This aspect was dropped for the US market - Learned something there.

Then Carrie was in the Blues Brothers.

Then she remained likeable.

I'm sorry she's gone.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

i guess im just not the sentimental type ....

You're the type that likes eating spunk covered biscuits :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Sounds like you might just be annoyed at people you suspect are just attention seeking?

I think if someone's genuinely saddened by a celebrity death it's fair do's. I still haven't gotten over Rik Mayall...

I don't think they are attention seeking , least not in the posting " grrr I'm so fed up" as their status sense 

I just don't get it 

talking of Rik Mayall , he was playing Alan Bastard at Woking one year and as I was going down the escalator in the peacocks centre he was going up the one next to me , i sorta did that double take to myself as if to say is that Rik Mayall and he saw me and went straight into Rick young ones mode with yes it's me , then back to normal and gave me a little nod and smile , even riding an escalator he was funny :)

• Like 3