Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

£12 mil for Austin, your having a laugh.  You will be lucky if you get 15 games out of him!  Whilst I enjoy Dr T spending his money, I dont want him to waste it on the likes of Austin. Anyone can see he will never be 100% fit again!  There are far better options out there at that  price IMO.

15 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I know it's a bit old fashioned, having centre backs as centre backs. Should probably have Westwood in there instead of Elphick.

The absence of full backs and the 2-2-3-3 formation is innovative, at any rate.  :)

• Like 3

As much as a new striker would be nice, I rather we focused on another quality midfielder and winger. Think that would help us more than another striker.

Obviously a new striker doesn't rule out us also signing these players...

Also need to get the RB position sorted.

58 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

VT does make me laugh. Last year Austin was a failed medical waiting to happen with a hole in his knee and way too expensive at £8m. This year we now want him at £12m after he's spent his time at Southampton split equally between the treatment table and the subs bench. He's not in his prime, his prime was his early 20's, he is the sort of player with a body that can't take the demands of 40 odd games a season. No thanks!

Well research suggests the prime age for a Premier League footballer is 27 - but you clearly know better.

3 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Well research suggests the prime age for a Premier League footballer is 27 - but you clearly know better.

It does but that is an averaged figure it doesn't mean it's an accurate figure for every individual. 

I personally think it is possibly true that Austin is past his peak, it's really impossible to say either way.

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It does but that is an averaged figure it doesn't mean it's an accurate figure for every individual. 

I personally think it is possibly true that Austin is past his peak, it's really impossible to say either way.

No idea about Austin, but his injuries is a worry.

But agree on the average figure being no more than a number. Vardy for example is a late bloomer, while Micah Richards probably peaked at 21-22.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Exactly, don't get why people are moaning here...

The bench was p*ss poor vs Huddersfield, having someone like Austin on there would definitely benefit us? also it will be competition for the starting 11, and it's a very long season ahead.

AND the transfer fee isn't coming out of your back pocket, it's coming out of Tony's :huh:

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No it doesn't I agree, but it is more likely than not statistically speaking - the main point I was trying to make in my original post is he is a decent age for a striker  - all hypothetical anyway as there have been no links to him anyway. 

Edited by Gary Thomas

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

he managed only 5 appearences for Saints last season, I rate him very highly but there are huge doubts about his fitness

He has but over the last 5 seasons he has played 165 games and scored nearly 90 goals...

2011/12 - 41 games / 16 goals

2012/13 - 37 games / 25 goals

2013/14 - 31 games / 17 goals

2014/15 - 35 games / 18 goals

2015/16 - 21 games / 11 goals 

That record is certainly better than I expected to see given his supposed fitness issues. The 5 games he played for Southampton last season were from when he signed for them in January and he had Pelle, Long and I would even suggest Mane ahead of him. He still scored 10 in 16 for QPR last season before his move.

If there is a chance we can get him in and put him through the sort of medical you would expect a professional club to do I would be happy taking the risk.

(Although there is no harm in bringing in Bamford on loan as well just in case). :-)

I still think we are three signings away from what we need.  By my reckoning, assuming Lescott, Gabby, Veretout and Traore leave we will have lost 16 players and even though a couple of youngsters like Green will become more prominant I think we are still short in areas all around the pitch. 

On the assumption that we get decent fees for Veretout and Traore then our net spend so far is minimal and we will have seen a massive reduction in wages.

Dr X is talking about a number 9 being our last signing? but for me we also need a right-sided DM/RB, and a creative CM (a progressive RMF would be useful to)

If any further players leave e.g. Westwood then we really need replacements for those also

Do you think we are likely to see more than a forward come in? Loan signings maybe?

• Like 1

Austin is on 100k a week. No way in hell we can afford that, nor would I want us to even if we could. Austin is a good striker without a doubt, but for his price tag, it's just not worth it. I don't want to see Tony making the same mistakes Lerner did then 3 years later we find ourselves with one of the highest wage budgets in Europe but haven't achieved anything substantial. 

• Like 1