Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

16 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think I'd need to see a player play 90mins around 20 times to make a proper judgement. 

Kozak, Traore, Bunn, Steer, Gardener, Green, Gollini.

all played less than 20 games (i think) all judged, and not saying i haven't judged some of those, just saying.

I would be worried about playing two attacking full backs in Amavi and Yedlin behind Grealish and Ayew.  It either needs one of the holding midfielders to drop in between the centre backs or Grealish/Ayew being willing to bust their balls to recover if they lose the ball on the overlap.  Think that's why Cissoko and Bacuna have been playing so far.

17 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

all played less than 20 games (i think) all judged, and not saying i haven't judged some of those, just saying.

It's not that simple. Yedlin has 25 games in the PL that's enough for him to be judged on so if RDM thinks he's good enough I'm happy as going off his signings so far he has good eye. Kozak has never been a 1st choice striker so it's hard to judge. Traore and Green haven't played at this level enough and the others have shown they can do a job they just haven't had games for us to prove it yet. Unfortunately we can't afford to give players 20 games to find their feet for us this season so we may lose some along the way. 

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Iorfa would be the ideal RB signing for me.  Yedlin is not good enough defensively. De Laet is limited. Iorfa has bags of talent and could be a good PL right back.

I watched a few wolves games and every time Iorfa has been torn to shreds, weak defensively and not that good attacking

2 hours ago, guyavfc said:

We're in for Yedlin according to Percy.

As an American this would be nice. Better pace than Hutton for sure but his crosses are poor. For whatever reason I don't think it'll happen on behalf of his agent and what Klinsmann wants from US national team members. I'll say that there's pressure on Americans to play in top flight leagues in Europe if they're offered the chance. Americans who follow his career would become worried  - from MLS to Premier League (Spurs) to Sunderland to Championship (AV). The thing I'd say to soothe their worry would be that he'd get a lot of playing time and he'll be under Di Matteo.

Edited by GRA

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

Kind of proves the point but jumping guns is so much fun in absense of being reasonable innit?

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

So some people think he's way under valued others think he's terrible. God bless you VT.

Maybe we should save ourselves 20 pages and all admit we haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement. I think I'd need to see a player play 90mins around 20 times to make a proper judgement. 

I've seen Yedlin play once for US against Belgium and he was absolutely excellent  so it's a yes from me! 

I haven't seen him play any full Premier League games, just some highlights, so I can't comment on that. I do remember him playing in the 2014 WC and he was rather good from my eyes. He was crap in Copa America, getting two yellows. In the WC his pace was almost a game changer against Belgium.

Yedlin, Sunderland 15/16 highlights.

Yedlin, WC USA vs Belgium highlights

Yedlin, Spurs vs Atletico Madrid 2016

1 hour ago, Villain-from-Texas said:

I'm gobsmacked that some people question a £3 million move for Yedlin. Would be a brilliant signing. 

I think he was bought my the Spurs around that price as well. What Di Matteo's offering seems  inline with his market value. Good thing if he's improved since it would a steal; bad if he hasn't.

Edited by GRA

7 minutes ago, GRA said:

I think he was bought my the Spurs around that price as well. What Di Matteo's offering seems  inline with his market value. Good thing if he's improved since it would a steal; bad if he hasn't.

Really think Levy will let him go for that? I reckon you're looking at least £8 mil in the current market and with the Levy "Levy" factored in

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Really think Levy will let him go for that? I reckon you're looking at least £8 mil in the current market and with the Levy "Levy" factored in

Haha well if Xia matches the price I'd say fine. Even if it's near £8 mil it'll be a steal. Wasn't Chester's transfer to AV about that price?

• Like 1

Iorfa would be a brilliant signing, but I think there's next to no chance of Wolves, with their new owners, selling to local and Championship rivals. Only real way of it happening is for the player to hand in a transfer request in my opinion. 

I watched Yedlin a lot when he was with the Sounders. He's quick, his crossing and passing is actually quite good, and he makes smart overlapping runs. Defensively he was a bit weak but I wouldn't be surprised if a year with Allardyce helped him out there. He's not the finished article yet, but he's better than what we have, and he's still young enough to continue to improve. He's got a great attitude, too, or at least he did when he was with Seattle. Dumb hair, but works hard for the team.

Oh, and Sunderland fans have been bitching all summer that they haven't made a permanent move for him.

Edited by heid3ster
Forgot one thing.

1 hour ago, GRA said:

He was crap in Copa America, getting two yellows.

I watched every game he played in Copa America. He absolutely was not crap.  In fact, he was solid, defending well against some top-class wingers. His two yellows were beyond stupid. But he hasn't made a habit of such things, and he's a smart kid who would've learned from the fallout. So it doesn't worry me going forward.

The bottom line is, Yedlin is a solid RB for the price, especially given his age and the level we're playing at. And his skills are still growing. We'd be fortunate to land him. 

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Tell me, as somebody who was really excited when Xia came in, what kind of players were you expecting?

I wasn't criticising the players, I was merely replying to the post that had quoted another poster and had stated that we had bought players who were capable of staying up in the premiership.