Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Tottenham have told a load of their midfielder that they can leave. Maybe one of them might be of interest to us, if realistic, I know Bentelab and Mason were highly rated recently, not sure what happened.

IMO we still need

Defender(s) - Right back and central defence incoming and lescott, richards , clark out

Midfield - central and wide midfield and sinclair, bacuna, sanchez, westwood out

Strikers - New striker and gabby out

That would be 8 out and 4 or 5 in and so reduce the squad size as well

Edited by Richard
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

IMO we still need

Defender(s) - Right back and central defence incoming and lescott, richards , clark out

Midfield - central and wide midfield and sinclair, bacuna, sanchez, westwood out

Strikers - New striker and gabby out

That would be 8 out and 4 or 5 in and so reduce the squad size as well

For what? 

I think that, going forward, for a sustained push at automatic promotion we need another 6/7 new players. On the basis that some will fail, others within the squad will step up and that our bench is also extremely weak. However, I don't think signing that many players in one transfer window is wise, those that are here may well be failures overall but I would assume there is still a core of players who at the very least have some kind of harmony. A basis upon which a good manager can push them to improve. Adding that many new personalities into and already struggling squad can be just as detrimental as it can be refreshing. And if it fails the consequences could be wholly disastrous. 

I think for this summer another 2/3 in and hopefully 4/5 out will be plenty. Don't forget the manager wants to reduce the overall size of an already bloated squad, rightly so IMO. Assuming those players are of the required standard and that we can add to them in January, it might give us enough to push for a playoff spot.

Edit - I read your post as 8 in and 4/5 out. I still think that's overkill for one summer, but not by as much as I initially thought! I'd love to sack off 8 players but still believe another 2/3 in is plenty. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

21 minutes ago, Richard said:

Good to hear.  Now get some additional reinforcements

You were told it weeks ago. Why do you believe it now but not when the owner said it? Nothing to do with making up your mind already is it? Seems strange that you question the owner but have full faith in the manager. 

18 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

For what? 

To have a decent squad capable of developing together and having continued success and for the manager to basically start afresh

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

To have a decent squad capable of developing together and having continued success and for the manager to basically start afresh

I think that will take time. More than one window. As explained I think that's the right thing to do ;) 

Oh I think it will take more than one window to be completely there agreed but I'd like those other windows to be tinkering at the edges .  I'd prefer the overhaul to happen now and just minor changes in future so as to not be too disruptive. 

for me in my ideal little bubble I'd like to see

Defence:
in - Right Back
out - Richards, Lescott

midfield:
in - Central midfielder
out - Veretout, Gana, Sanchez

Forwards:
in - Striker, Right wing, Left wing
out - Sinclair, Gabby

think we'd have a well balanced squad then at least with decent enough cover for injuries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

Tottenham have told a load of their midfielder that they can leave. Maybe one of them might be of interest to us, if realistic, I know Bentelab and Mason were highly rated recently, not sure what happened.

I would pick up both in a heart beat especially Bentelab. Bentelab is a good midfielder who would make a lot of premier league XIs so I don't see this happening for us. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Jackson and Mensah, imho , will be very, very good players.Would love them down here.RB and Central defence sorted then.

Absolutely.  Which is why I can't see them (especially Fosu-Mensah) leaving Man Utd on anything other than a loan.  F-M is also or was currently injured during large parts of their pre-season, so him appearing on any unwanted lists must be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Reality really bites when you see people mentioning the Rotherham game. 

Rotherham, where the first 7 letters are silent.  "We're playing *******Rotherham"

Been here before (and i don't mean VT) seen villa in the old Div1 reality is we were shit last year we are in div1 I'm used to it and reality sank in a while ago. Looking forward to seeing some wins for a change! Bring them on! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

for me in my ideal little bubble I'd like to see

Defence:
in - Right Back
out - Richards, Lescott

midfield:
in - Central midfielder
out - Veretout, Gana, Sanchez

Forwards:
in - Striker, Right wing, Left wing
out - Sinclair, Gabby

think we'd have a well balanced squad then at least with decent enough cover for injuries.

It would be interesting if you would make suggestions as to the players you would like to see coming in, as well as those you think should move, VILLAMARV.

27 minutes ago, 1958Villan said:

Don't you feel that Morrison and Barry would be large gambles, Jareth?

As opposed to sticking with, say Westwood and Sanchez?

I've read many posts against Morrison but not once have I seen a poster come up with a realistic alternative.