Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

4 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I've already said I accept I'm being impatient. I'm positive every transfer window, I just thought there would be more in transfers before the first game with millions to spend. I'm on holiday at the minute and I think it makes it worse that I'm sat here all day with nothing but VillaTalk to look at and nothing to distract me, apart from the bar, which I guess makes it worse. :)

Do what I do when I'm on holiday, forget about Villa and enjoy yourself! That's the point of a holiday. Plus I'm sure if you're somewhere hot, there should be plenty to look at! :blush:;)

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 1

I think it's natural to be concerned with the opening game of the season nearly upon us. Having said that I'm putting my trust in Tony to deliver because up until now I've seen no reason to doubt him. We do know that RDM wanted to trim the squad to around 25 players so I believe it's more a case of needing to shift some players to free up space rather than needing to sell to find new purchases. 

8 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

I think it's natural to be concerned with the opening game of the season nearly upon us.

Not really. So what if we lose to Sheffield Wednesday? It doesn't mean we'll get relegated. It doesn't mean we're destined for mid-table.  It simply means that on 7 August 2016, they were better than us. But that doesn't matter. What matters is where we are in the table at 2pm on 7 May 2017. And if we do lose a week on Sunday, there's 8 weeks worth of transfer window and 45 other games to make sure we are where we need to be come the only point in the season it matters on that early summer Sunday 9 months from now.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd say the results in the games we play actually has some baring on where we end up in the table. Regardless if said game is played in August, December or May.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

I remember in one of RDM's interviews (re:transfers) he said something like "I know when to make my move, the fans need not worry" etc. I'm also thinking we have to strategically wait for other clubs to make moves, or lodge bids for us to match etc to prevent being raped. I refuse to believe our lot are clueless. I get the frustration and nerves though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Do what I do when I'm on holiday, forget about Villa and enjoy yourself! That's the point of a holiday. Plus I'm sure if you're somewhere hot, there should be plenty to look at! :blush:;)

I'm on Holiday from work, not Villa!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I remember in one of RDM's interviews (re:transfers) he said something like "I know when to make my move, the fans need not worry" etc. I'm also thinking we have to strategically wait for other clubs to make moves, or lodge bids for us to match etc to prevent being raped. I refuse to believe our lot are clueless. I get the frustration and nerves though.

This is a very salient point JV, as many players that were mooted to move this window have remained in firmly in place thus far. I include players from our mob too.

Forestieri, McCormack, Gana, Hughes, Clough, Morrison, Knockaert, Kodjia, Afobe....

Until the wheel starts turning, it's harder for the dominoes to fall into place. But fall they will in the next 5 weeks.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Godders said:

Not really. So what if we lose to Sheffield Wednesday? It doesn't mean we'll get relegated. It doesn't mean we're destined for mid-table.  It simply means that on 7 August 2016, they were better than us. But that doesn't matter. What matters is where we are in the table at 2pm on 7 May 2017. And if we do lose a week on Sunday, there's 8 weeks worth of transfer window and 45 other games to make sure we are where we need to be come the only point in the season it matters on that early summer Sunday 9 months from now.

So you don't think we're a tiny bit fragile, and might profit from a good start?

7 hours ago, villa89 said:

You do realise that only two teams go up automatically and the playoffs are a bit of a lottery? If you went down the bookies they'd give you a decent procie on all three of those teams being promoted.

Yes I realise thankyou :P

derby and Brighton have been strong consistent contenders over the last few seasons, they'll be well up there. Counting Newcastle out is foolish as well.

1 minute ago, Duck said:

Yes I realise thankyou :P

derby and Brighton have been strong consistent contenders over the last few seasons, they'll be well up there. Counting Newcastle out is foolish as well.

Derby have the same team that failed in their promotion bid last season and have, arguably, stiffer competition this year. What makes them one of the favourites?

7 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

So you don't think we're a tiny bit fragile, and might profit from a good start?

Of course we would. And I'm sure if we could bring in all number 1 targets we would. But what do you want them to do? His point was that the result in the first game is not going to determine the rest of the season. 

17 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Any team, regardless of whether they're "fragile", expecting to be fighting relegation, or expecting to win the league would profit from a good start.

DCJonah is absolutely correct. Win lose or draw, our season will not be defined by what happens in the first game of the season.

I get why some people are concerned and having doubts but I'm choosing to wait until the season starts proper.... without being ridiculously optimistic, I'm imagining a hard fought win (with possibly a touch of luck) against Wednesday, throw in a couple of signings and all of a sudden things will be looking up. A good saying to remember on this site is 'worry is interest paid on tomorrow's troubles'

UTV

Edited by Villan_of_oz

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Here's a novel thought, try enjoying your holiday ;)

I am, it's been great tbf. But I'm always checking on VT, there's only so much sun, beer and kings of Leon before I want a break lol

8 minutes ago, Godders said:

Any team, regardless of whether they're "fragile", expecting to be fighting relegation, or expecting to win the league would profit from a good start.

DCJonah is absolutely correct. Win lose or draw, our season will not be defined by what happens in the first game of the season.

I think the Arsenal win on opening day is proof of that, I had such high hopes :/