2016 Holiday Plans

Xela

46 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Got to make a choice between Dubrovnik and Vilnius for a 3-4 day break in Aug.

Any thoughts? 

Nice as it is , 4 days in Vilnius is a long time , though you could explore the outer area(s) , Vilnius town itself you can explore in a day

Dubrovnik would offer you better options of the 2 I should imagine 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Nice as it is , 4 days in Vilnius is a long time , though you could explore the outer area(s) , Vilnius town itself you can explore in a day

Dubrovnik would offer you better options of the 2 I should imagine 

Thanks for the input, I was leaning towards Dubrovnik if I'm honest.

Flights at the moment are looking about 170-200 return, does that seem about right? Would adding a 100 quid on top of that for accommodation for 3 nights be about right?

I got the impression flights to Dubrovnik that time of year were closer to the £300 mark , it's what has put a few people I know of going

Game of Thrones tourism pushing the price up  + its a beach town and the sun will be shining

On 26 June 2016 at 19:13, NoelVilla said:

Yes, live on the other side of the bridge. A few days? Its not that big. We usually go for the nice bars and restaurants so I might have forgot what is a must see for a tourist.

Dinner/Lunch and drinks in Nyhavn is a must. The bars in Baron Boltens Gaard is a good way to spend the night.  Lot of places that makes there own beer; this is a favourite. http://brewpub.dk

I would visit Tivoli which is quite nice to walk around in. Haven't been to Christiania for a long time but it was fun to see back then. Lots of artists and "hippies"(for lack of a better description). The little Mermaid can easily be missed in my opinion and going over to Malmö might be a hassle now that Sweden practically closed all of our borders.

Cheers NoelVilla - yep just 3 days there. Planning on taking in the Carlsberg factory, seeing the castle and Amalianborg, Tivoli, covering Stroget and seeing the mermaid. Shame about Malmo, was certainly keen on that idea and had considered it, but can't really be assed for too much hassle, hah. 

There will be two couples, so I reckon myself and the other lad will want to head out one night and sample the beers as best as possible. Heard some good things about a place called Charlie's bar? 

Anything else you recommend chaps? 

• Like 1

Sounds like a good itinerary to me. Maybe rethink Malmö, I exaggerated the hassle a little bit at first. Don't forget the passports though. Never been to Charlie's bar, looks good.

Just arrived in Malta. Booked it 2 days ago on a whim as I wanted to add it to my list and see what it's all about. So far I've only seen two little towns and one beach and it's a rather barren place. More like Cyprus than Majorca for example, due to its very southerly position. Everyone speaks English here on account of it being a former British colony and whilst alcohol is very cheap, food is not great and rather pricey for anything decent. On a positive note, some of the old buildings are lovely and people are quite friendly.

I'm off to Gozo in a couple of days which many people rate and then I'll check out Valletta. 

Anyone else been? 

Edited by One For The Road

Went to Croatia earlier in the year, visited Dubrovnik, Split, Plitivice Lakes and Trogir. Thinking about Cuba for later in the year, but not made a decision yet. Got trips to Berlin and Jersey for running events/long weekends also :-)

• 4 weeks later...

depart Weds for my annual lads holiday

Starting in Zambia for a few nights at Vic Falls .. weve opted for a tent by the river there , it's only one step away from growing a ponytail and taking a guitar with me  ... someone shoot me now !!

then upto Botswana and Chobe National park  , then down to Zim before heading to South Africa ... taking in Pretoria , Swaziland then down to Rorkes Drift and then up the Sani Pass to Lesotho ... from there to Durban then over to Cape Town before heading upto Walvis Bay in Namibia and the Skeleton coast ... then home via Angola  ....

Angola could be interesting , I've  got my visa (took them 22 days to process it !! but my mate flaffed around and when he went back today they still hadn't done it   ....I'm fairly sure he wont be allowed to board the plane when we try and depart Windhoek to get there   .... Of course i can't just abandon him , which means I'm half expecting to be stranded in Namibia whilst we try and find a way home  ... oh well , it's all part of the adventure at the end of the day

• Like 2

It's rolled around and I'm off to Orlando with the family on Saturday. Booked and paid for absolutely everything to do there. Still not great with flying but hey ho.

Bloody excited though

• 3 weeks later...
Â