2016 Holiday Plans

Xela

Sofia is amazing. Tony, I don't think you did the right things...although going around CSKA Sofia's ground was a good choice.

Stevo if you do come to Sofia, I'll show you around and go to some cool bars. There's the mountains as well which are just 20 mins away.

My school are going on a school skiing trip at the end of the month for a week. The resort is so close I get to go home at night and we get bussed up the next day.

Sofia has plenty of history and it's bloody cheap. If you need some recommendations just ask or you could stay with me I won't roger you in the night...not too much anyway.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Sofia is amazing. Tony, I don't think you did the right things...although going around CSKA Sofia's ground was a good choice.

Stevo if you do come to Sofia, I'll show you around and go to some cool bars. There's the mountains as well which are just 20 mins away.

My school are going on a school skiing trip at the end of the month for a week. The resort is so close I get to go home at night and we get bussed up the next day.

Sofia has plenty of history and it's bloody cheap. If you need some recommendations just ask or you could stay with me I won't roger you in the night...not too much anyway.

I'm sure you are right , maybe I need to give it another look when I'm not doing a football match 100+ miles away ( and drunk / hungover ).... I'm hoping to go to Skopje and Chisanau this year maybe I should incorporate another trip to Sofia into it 

We're toying with a trip to the USA. Sister-in-law lives in Baltimore. We've been there before, but she often vacations (sic) in New England, so we could meet up there - possibly after a few days in NYC. Just a thought ATM, though.

A brilliant summer (I hope) in store for me...

Mexico, Belize, Guatemala and Honduras backpacking with the Mrs.

Denmark, Norway and Sweden, just me and my son.

Havent been to any of the countries before, so a complete adventure!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My 2016 trip is taking shape  , looks like

Cape Town - Finally do my Great White cage thingy , might see if I can do one outside the cage  but not sure they allow it

Lesotho - be rude not to drink at Africa's highest pub

Okavango Delta and Kasane in Botswana

Vic Falls

Skeleton Coast in Namibia

wanted to do Madagascar but alas I don't have enough time and I was over ruled by the other 2 on dropping the Delta for it .. democracy sucks sometimes :) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

is hong kong worth it for a wedding?

my mate lives there, getting married in may, i reckon i can do it with the missus for about £850 for the flights, £500 for a holiday inn, land late thursday, friday, sunday looking round, saturday wedding all day, monday leave in the afternoon, add £500 spending money, might as well round it off to £2k for 2 and half days

Don't forget a ferry to Macau :)

Honkers is one of those places you'll ever love or hate ... It's like Singapore in that it's an ideal stop over point for a few days and will keep you entertained ... The question is , is it worth the  6000 mile journey / how much do you like the bride and groom 

for me I'd say go but then I once went to Japan Thursday to Monday because I was bored so I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask :)

• Like 2

ive done japan and im trying to save for my own wedding so it'll be on as low a budget as i can get away with

my plan for HK, singapore and KL was always to visit them for 2/3 days before moving on to somewhere like borneo or penang

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got back from my 5 week solo backpacking trip to Southeast Asia last week, and the travel itch is already kicking in. Awesome experience.

If anyone is on the fence about traveling solo, do it. One of the best things I've done. You meet so many people who are in the same boat as you (especially if you're staying in hostels) and the freedom and flexibilty traveling by yourself affords you is also awesome.

Oh, also don't worry Tony, I didn't become one of those backpackers ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

Oh, also don't worry Tony, I didn't become one of those backpackers ;)

Denial ... that's the first step to being one of them  :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, chappy said:

Off to Malta next week for a few nights and Tanzania is taking shape for the summer, excited about both!

depends on your age and what you like doing  

Malta might be too late but have a look at the Hypogeum in Valetta  and see if it takes your interest .... it was worth a look around , you can book online but it does get booked quite quickly

The In Guardia re-enactment was also quite good (bit long though) Sundays only  ..but the town where it is also quite pretty and has a few nice bars and restaurants , wont be good if you are going out on the razz in St Julians \ Sliema though :)

The Hypogeum, or underground cavity, is a unique monument and superb example of architecture in the negative. Excavation has yielded a wealth of archaeological material including pottery, human bones, personal ornaments such as beads and amulets, little carved animals and larger figurines.

Tanzania - assume you are heading off to Ngorongoro crater ..if not then I'd try and fit it in , for me it's better than the Serengeti

• Like 1

Tanzania - assume you are heading off to Ngorongoro crater ..if not then I'd try and fit it in , for me it's better than the Serengeti

Yes will be going to the crater, the plan at the moment is something like: Dar Es salaam, Zanzibar, Arusha, ngongoro, usambara mountains, pangani.

47 minutes ago, chappy said:

Yes will be going to the crater, the plan at the moment is something like: Dar Es salaam, Zanzibar, Arusha, ngongoro, usambara mountains, pangani.

Arusha was my start point for the Crater , stayed in a hotel on a coffee plantation and you can see Kilimanjaro in the background  , pleasant hotel  but you don't need to spend a lot of time there ..the UN have a base in Arusha  so it's quite affluent by some African standards

We stayed here at the crater if you wanted  a suggestion , the balcony looks down into the crater so you can watch some wildlife from your room via a pair of binoculars

We flew to Zanzibar from Arusha ... the hotel I went to was an eco one so everything was solar powered , which whilst it sounds a great get away from it all idea , drives you mad after a while with dim lights and semi cold showers :)  went fishing there on a modern boat with all mod cons and caught bugger all ,meanwhile 2 locals in a canoe and a hand line caught a hammerhead shark  , we watched them reeling it in for hours !!  we did see some whales though so wasn't a complete rub out ... think Pemba is the place to head for beach wise

just a word of warning Freddie Mercury came from Stone Town so you will hear a lot of Queen music in some of the restaurants so take your ear plugs :)

Edited by tonyh29

6 hours ago, chappy said:

Haha will watch out for Queen overkill! Thanks for the info. Had ruled out Pemba but will keep it in mind if you think it's worth it?

Mainly good for scuba diving  so depends  if you dive or not 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Giving serious consideration to going to Cuba in August.  Anyone done it that time of year?  It says it's the rainy season but I assume it's similar to the likes of Florida or the Carribbean where it's hot then pisses down quickly in the afternoon. 

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Giving serious consideration to going to Cuba in August.  Anyone done it that time of year?  It says it's the rainy season but I assume it's similar to the likes of Florida or the Carribbean where it's hot then pisses down quickly in the afternoon. 

I went to Cuba a few years ago in August for 2 weeks and it was absolutely fine - a few clouds/ showers in the afternoon but cleared very quickly and got rid of the humidity. Havana is a great city, and the beaches are beautiful. Don't know if it has changed much since they opened up to Americans - hope not. 

• Like 1

Â