2016 Holiday Plans

Xela

On 10/11/2016 at 20:31, Tayls said:

Vienna booked for a couple of nights, will be there in December for the Xmas markets. Any recommendations/advice guys? 

Also in Vienna in the first week of December so would definitely appreciate any tips from people who have been.

Been s good few years since I was last in a Vienna

all I can really say is avoid the Sacher hotel as the famous Sachertorte isn't worth it

the opera house tour is ok and if you are into opera / ballet then they sell standing tickets on the day for a cheap price.. you queue up about an hour before the performance and then take your chances on getting in

If you're a film buff then the third man museum could be worth worth a look and you can also visit the funfair 

couple of palaces and museums Which you are bound to see

other than that I can't really offer a lot to be honest I've only really done a couple of day trips there and used it as a base for elsewhere 

• 4 weeks later...

So, circumstances have lead to me having 10 free days in december. I am going to be in maritius from the 23rd Dec which should be good however I am now free from the 12th Dec and so thought i would do something first and a friend of mine is willing to come.

I can do anything really. However obviously with going to Maritius though rather than going somewhere(Like Colombia) from London and back before then flying to maritius, i though somewhere close to mauritus where i can fly straight from there might be good.

Im looking for a mix of culture, activities, sun and drinks.

Tanzania(zanzibar) via Oman/Dubai was my first though... we both have friends in dubai and iv actually never been.

any thoughts or suggestions people?

@chappy @tonyh29

Thanks in advance

Think you can get a direct flight to Madagascar from Mauritius that would probably be my first choice 

(wanted to do Madagascar on my recent African trip but didn't have enough time to do it justice )

South Africa is the other direct option from Mauritius  , see my report a few posts above but you can see and do loads from Jo'Berg and internal flights are very cheap

Dubai , I like it there but Mrs H doesn't , to be honest it is all very sterile and fake but  I just like the idea of Sun / swimming by day skiing / malls by night , ... Oman is more untouched and has a little more culture , should get the whale migrations in December 

On 09/11/2016 at 22:54, tonyh29 said:

Think you can get a direct flight to Madagascar from Mauritius that would probably be my first choice 

(wanted to do Madagascar on my recent African trip but didn't have enough time to do it justice )

South Africa is the other direct option from Mauritius  , see my report a few posts above but you can see and do loads from Jo'Berg and internal flights are very cheap

Dubai , I like it there but Mrs H doesn't , to be honest it is all very sterile and fake but  I just like the idea of Sun / swimming by day skiing / malls by night , ... Oman is more untouched and has a little more culture , should get the whale migrations in December 

Looks like we might go to Sri Lanka have the option of 2 or so days in Muscat or Mumbai. presume you would recommend Muscat?

11 minutes ago, zak said:

Looks like we might go to Sri Lanka have the option of 2 or so days in Muscat or Mumbai. presume you would recommend Muscat?

we met @Awol there so definitely no :P

It's got the worlds biggest Mosque and the usual market stuff you get , our hotel was quite away from Muscat though so didn't go there too often to really explore it in great detail , we spent most of the time snorkelling and scuba diving

For Sri Lanka , couple of suggestions for you in case you need any ?

Wilpathu we didn’t see any Leopards but mainly due to the time of year I think   , tbh there are probably better safari’s to do but ours was all about time and proximity to other places

Sigiriya is probably one of the highlights (Lion rock) … lots of stairs to climb up it though !!

We also squeezed in Gathering of the elephants in a place called  Minneriya  … worth looking up on the internet as I think it might be seasonal  (June to Sept ? ) but we saw a few hundred wild elephants   plus birds and what not

Horton Plain National Park was a fairly gentle trek and gives you some cool views ( they call it worlds end )   .. well recommended

And finally don’t plan on a quiet day at the beach in Colombo :) 

Mirissa is the place where I think you need to go to see the Blue whales

We used a company called Miracle Sri Lanka   http://www.miraclesrilanka.com

I told them what we wanted to see and do and the amount of time we had and somehow they put it all together and made it work  ,  went fairly low budget on hotels but they were still pretty decent , the one by Ramboda falls was particularly good  as you can walk down the hill and swim in the water fall (p.s it was freezing  !!) http://www.rambodafalls.com/gallery.php

17 minutes ago, zak said:

Mumbai

2 days should just about get you through the traffic jam from the airport !!

It's kinda great to just amble around the place , see all the impromptu games of cricket , the old colonial builds , Taj Hotel , Gateway to India  and a trip to elephanta island (the boats leave from the gateway area) , we even went horse racing in Mumbai

but , yeah it's a busy place and the traffic will make you scream  , we nearly missed our flights home as it took over 3 hours to get to the airport ,28km away !!

My Buddy cant go till 15th now so going to be away for just over a week, so scrapping the other countries. Just going to Sri Lanka now.

How long were you there for @tonyh29, seems like you did alot. did you rent a car and driver, take busses or air taxis?

19 minutes ago, zak said:

My Buddy cant go till 15th now so going to be away for just over a week, so scrapping the other countries. Just going to Sri Lanka now.

How long were you there for @tonyh29, seems like you did alot. did you rent a car and driver, take busses or air taxis?

Had a driver , trick is to do your homework before you go and decide what's important and what isn't ... for us then beaches and sitting by the pool aren't important , plus we also specify that we don't want to stop at every gift shop to look at carpets, tapestries or see folk dancing ..that also saves time :) 

Sri Lanka we did as follows

Day 01 - 22nd August 2013
Meet pick and drive to Wilpaththu, Early check in at hotel and relax the day. Enjoy a safari in Sri Lanka's largest National Park , Wilpaththu which is famous for its high density of Leopards , Bears , elephants and many more animals. It also home for dozens of small lakes known as villu's in local language. This villu is attractions for animals as well as birds. 

Hotel: LLT Safari & Tourist Inn - Wilpaththu

Day 02 - 23rd August 2013
Early morning proceed to Sigiriya via Aukkana where the carving Buddha statue is located. Afternoon climb the Lion Rock and return to hotel.
PM - Elephant gathering@Minneriya

Hotel : Nice Place Bungalows - Inamaluwa , Dambulla

Day 03 - 24th August 2013
Proceed to Ramboda via Kandy. En route drop in a tea factory & tea garden and get familier with tea manafacturing process. 

Hotel : Ramboda Falls Hotel - Ramboda

Day 04 - 25th August 2013

Early departure from hotel to Hortain Plain National park and explore World End / Mini Worlds End trails along with Bakers falls and then head to Colombo. Optional white water rafting in Kithulgala. If time permits have a quick city tour of Colombo.

Hotel : Tropic Inn Bungalow - Mt. Laviniea

Day 05 - 26th August 2013
Transfer to airport as per flight schedule

Accommodation: 01 twin sharing with Breakfast at deluxe budget hotels
Transport            : A/C  car  with English Speaking Guide/Driver 
Cost for 2 Adult : US$ 700.00
we did a few other impromptu stops along the way as well if we saw something of of interest  ,but after a while one temple looks the same as every other temple :) 

2013 trip.jpg

on that trip itself we covered a heck of a lot all in all :) it's not for everyone but we covered all the "must see's" that we wanted to  Komodo dragons , Tigers nest etc and still managed to drink Kuta dry whilst watching Villa beat Arsenal  :)

Edited by tonyh29

On 11/11/2016 at 13:33, tonyh29 said:

We used a company called Miracle Sri Lanka   http://www.miraclesrilanka.com

In contact with them now (Ashad) and already seemed very helpful. Was looking at getting the train from Kandy to Ella (9 hours) which he said was pointless, just get on the train at the last stop before Ella, so you just get the best 2 hours. Also he suggested looking fairly budget for the inland accommodation as we wont be in them for alot of time and then nicer rooms/hotels for when at the beach which makes sense.

So, thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2016 at 09:38, tom_avfc said:

Also in Vienna in the first week of December so would definitely appreciate any tips from people who have been.

Have you managed to get some plans together for Vienna @tom_avfc

Edited by Tayls

• 1 month later...

2016 was a decent holidaying year... 

Turkey beach holiday for a week

Peak District for 3 nights

Bluestone Park in Wales for 3 nights

Devon cottage for 3 nights

Barcelona for 3 nights

Lanzarote beach holiday for a week.

Never explored England like that before - it was good!

Â