The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

I know, but it doesn't matter, they haven't read the guy, they don't know what it takes to even keep the manager on side. They are all clueless, we are utterly rudderless. Mark these words, we are about to get lost in the woods for a very long time, possibly for ever.

I'm sorry but this is pure hyperbole.

I couldn't rule out this being our last season in the top flight in my lifetime, tbh. Nobody is buying us as a lower league club, either. I can't see where we go as a club with a useless, disinterested owner, who won't invest enough to even keep us still and can't sell.

That's my view, and with the apathy and lack of understanding of what is needed, it's stands to reason it's a very serious possibility. There are plenty of clubs once as important as ours in the last 50 years who have disappeared, and Lerner has shown he hasn't got it, in fact he is just not interested. He won't spend and that is what it will take to get us back. There are at least 4-5 teams in the championship better than us, and two more going down with us who will be better too. We have no soul in the club, no core, if Garde goes then so will our best players. I really think we are f*cked.

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I hope he walks and every game for the rest of the season is accompanied by end to end "Randy Lerner/Tom Fox/Steve Hollis, what a rocket polisher" chants.

What would be good about that? These chants calling them a rocket polisher are no good. What you want is chants that refer to things that might actually embarrass Lerner so he drops his price. Chants like:

Lerner bought the Villa because he has a tiny penis

Randy Lerner's wife left because he has a tiny penis

Lerner is an embarrassment to his father

Obviously in the form of chants, but stuff like that. Banners too with similar messages. He doesn't care about being called a rocket polisher. He probably is. Most of us are. But to take a public pop at the fact that he inherited all his wealth and is a complete idiot would probably get to him a lot more. Also mentioning his failed marriage, and his desire to buy the club and be loved by so many because of his daddy issues/tiny penis issues.

That's my view, and with the apathy and lack of understanding of what is needed, it's stands to reason it's a very serious possibility. There are plenty of clubs once as important as ours in the last 50 years who have disappeared, and Lerner has shown he hasn't got it, in fact he is just not interested. He won't spend and that is what it will take to get us back. There are at least 4-5 teams in the championship better than us, and two more going down with us who will be better too. We have no soul in the club, no core, if Garde goes then so will our best players. I really think we are f*cked.

You honestly believe that we'll never be in the top division again? That's absurd.

There are plenty of clubs once as important as ours in the last 50 years who have disappeared

Which clubs are those?

I think we are in serious trouble, don't get me wrong. But a club as "important" as ours has never disappeared. It would be unprecedented.

Possible yes, but at this early stage pure hyperbole. Just as likely the club will be sold to somebody who gives a **** within the the next few years, IMO, and I don't hold out too much hope of that.

Think we will rattle around in the Championship for a couple of years minimum though.

• Like 1

I remember Lambert banging on about 'hoping to do some business' and claiming we missed out on players every Jan window. Dross like Sylla and Dawkins never worked out.

But this to me has to be the lowest point for me as a supporter of this great club. 

I've sat through Graham Taylor 2.0 - even a year where after initial success Brian Little almost sent us down. Same with O'Leary and Gregory both had success on some levels but ended up falling out with Doug. I've watched us lose out in Europe time and time again.

The two best eras where under Big Ron and MON, a time where we competed with other clubs and it was exciting (aside from the B-side in Europe debacle). There were good times under Gregory also, but Doug again failed to back him when we were in pole position to become challenge the big boys.

Garde came in and seemed to believe he would have the chance to strengthen the team, he struggled to make sense of the mess left behind by Lambert and Sherwood, who can't be blamed us much as the idiots running the club. What was the transfer summit in US for?

Kalinic, Doumbia and Debuchy, they aren't exciting targets. Debuchy - we refused to pay a loan fee for, Kalinic was bad luck and Doumbia took the better option. But it feels like we missed out on many more players because we wouldn't pay the wages/fees. It seems that there was a utterly impossible condition that Garde had to move on players like Gabby and Zog before he could offer new players big wages. Neither was ever going to leave. We probably paid off Senderos also.

I'm suprised we didn't cash in on Richards and Lescott.

People rightly mocked me for saying that we could become the new Coventry. Rock bottom, injury hit squad with no fit strikers and we've barely tried to strengthen the most inept and unbalanced Villa squad i have ever seen.

Bottom line the club didn't back Garde, it seems to have accepted relegation and I fully expect him to leave. I think he is geniunely too good for the club and Championship. 

All i can see happening in the summer is our best players getting sold off so our wage bill is reduced down to that of a League One club.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

You honestly believe that we'll never be in the top division again? That's absurd.

With our current owner, and circumstances, yes. The new premier league finances means the teams who are in next season will be a quantum leap ahead of us. Bournmouth will have revenues like we could only dream of, and any team thereafter relegated will get a mega parachute payment. It will transform the haves and have nots, it will be like the champions league had on the top four to the lower leagues. It will be a yo-yo of clubs going back up, and we will be on the outside. I can guenuinely see it.

Edited by thunderball

Just now, thunderball said:

With our current owner, and circumstances, yes. The new premier league finances means the teams who are in next season will be a quantum leap ahead of us. Bournmouth will have revenues like we could only dream of, and any team thereafter bring relegated will get a mega parachute payment. It will transform the haves and have nots, it will be like the champions league had on the top four to the lower leagues. It will be a yo-yo of clubs going back up, and we will be on the outside. I can guenuinely see it.

That's a massive overreaction. Football doesn't work like that and you know it. I still cannot fathom where you're getting this idea from that we'll be locked out forever. It's mad.

With our current owner, and circumstances, yes. The new premier league finances means the teams who are in next season will be a quantum leap ahead of us. Bournmouth will have revenues like we could only dream of, and any team thereafter relegated will get a mega parachute payment. It will transform the haves and have nots, it will be like the champions league had on the top four to the lower leagues. It will be a yo-yo of clubs going back up, and we will be on the outside. I can guenuinely see it.

That's likely been said everytime there is a new Tv deal and here we are with Leicester promoted last season , with a team assembled for 20mil top of the league.It will be hard but not impossible ..

Sleeping giant is branded about alot but we are the very definition of that ,we just need someone to buy us who knows WTF they are doing or if not employee the right people to run us.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

That's a massive overreaction. Football doesn't work like that and you know it. I still cannot fathom where you're getting this idea from that we'll be locked out forever. It's mad.

I think he is trying to make the point is from now on football will work like that re new tv prem deal. We are going to miss out big style and unless we go straight back up we are going to be in the wilderness for a long time, regardless of having a grand name and nice stadium. Probably is a bit OTT but I can understand it.

OK, granted never say never, but you must understand the possible gravity of the situation, how it wouldn't take much for us to be condemned to a very long stay in the lower leagues. How we laughed at Robbie Savage's prediction, but he was closer to it that we are likely to admit. This is one of the worst teams/squads to have played in the PL, and that's a fact.

@DDID - Nottingham Forest is one name.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think he is trying to make the point is from now on football will work like that re new tv prem deal. We are going to miss out big style and unless we go straight back up we are going to be in the wilderness for a long time, regardless of having a grand name and nice stadium. Probably is a bit OTT but I can understand it.

But it won't though. Yes it may make things harder but it's not as if the new TV deal is giving everyone 10 times the money. Things will be harder but it won't change a massive amount I suspect.

Just now, thunderball said:

OK, granted never say never, but you must understand the possible gravity of the situation, how it wouldn't take much for us to be condemned to a very long stay in the lower leagues. How we laughed at Robbie Savage's prediction, but he was closer to it that we are likely to admit. This is one of the worst teams/squads to have played in the PL, and that's a fact.

@DDID - Nottingham Forest is one name.

Look, just because I'm not going over the top with ridiculous statements like "we're going to be lost forever" doesn't mean I don't understand the situation. Why does everything on here have to be black and white? I know I say that a lot but it really does seem like everything has to be one extreme or the other on here.

Mantis, I've had a guts full of Lerner, and it's all come out now. Read my post history, I am usually patient, optimistic and I think level headed, but I genuinely think we are staring at the abyss. Not because of being relegated, but because of everything concerning the club right now. All the fundamentals just don't feel right, I can't find one thing, apart from Garde, that gives me optimism for the future, and the longer we are out of the PL, the less chance I believe we will have of returning with conviction.

Mantis, I've had a guts full of Lerner, and it's all come out now. Read my post history, I am usually patient, optimistic and I think level headed, but I genuinely think we are staring at the abyss. Not because of being relegated, but because of everything concerning the club right now. All the fundamentals just don't feel right, I can't find one thing, apart from Garde, that gives me optimism for the future, and the longer we are out of the PL, the less chance I believe we will have of returning with conviction.

Of course things are looking very bad right now but surely you can see that it won't stay this way for decades?

Â