Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Richard said:

preparing to be massively underwhelmed at our January window

Makes sense. People keep saying we need to "recruit for the Championship," but what the hell does that even mean? Seems like we've already done that, haven't we? Quite perfectly!

• Like 1

Julian Faubert linked on a free

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-transfer-rumour-mill-10595333

Former West Ham winger Julien Faubert could move to Aston Villa, according to The Sun.

The 32-year-old Frenchman, who is a free agent, was most recently at Bordeaux but was released in the summer.

During his time at Upton Park, where he made over 100 appearances, Faubert also had a loan spell at Real Madrid.

37 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Makes sense. People keep saying we need to "recruit for the Championship," but what the hell does that even mean? Seems like we've already done that, haven't we? Quite perfectly!

It means not spending ridiculous amounts of money gambling on targeting survival ala QPR. The last thing we need is another Darren Bent moment. I'm happy to use the rest of the season to look at the other players and plan accordingly for next season in the championship. 

Id be happy if we just signed a striker in January. Austin preferably is only really name out there maybe out of favour players like Naismith, Ibarbo or Jay Rodriguez

im still certain Walters be perfect signing and he has dropped out of Stoke starting line up again

21 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

It means not spending ridiculous amounts of money gambling on targeting survival ala QPR. The last thing we need is another Darren Bent moment. I'm happy to use the rest of the season to look at the other players and plan accordingly for next season in the championship. 

Erm I completely disagree.  A Darren Bent proven goal scorer is exactly what we need to stand a chance of staying up.  I'm still not defeated and believe with the right signings we will stand a great chance of staying up. Just need a GK LB midfielder & striker. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Erm I completely disagree.  A Darren Bent proven goal scorer is exactly what we need to stand a chance of staying up.  I'm still not defeated and believe with the right signings we will stand a great chance of staying up. Just need a GK LB midfielder & striker. 

but thats the problem we need 4 players in January to even have a chance of staying up and by the time they gel we will be cut further adrift. FWIW I think we can get by with Guzan until summer but other 3 need be acted on 

Edited by Zatman

21 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

But the Bent gamble worked as we stayed up and we would not have done without him.

I guess the difference this time is that our expectations have been lowered to the extent that our custodian feels he can get away without trying to spend to try to save us this time and he no longer cares enough about what happens to his former plaything.   

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but thats the problem we need 4 players in January to even have a chance of staying up and by the time they gel we will be cut further adrift. FWIW I think we can get by with Guzan until summer but other 3 need be acted on 

I agree about Guzan, but we were linked again with PSG goalkeeper Salvatore Sirigu again today. Intrigued about the possible signing of Cole as a stop gap whilst recalling one of Bennett or cissokho getting rid of Richardson. Recall Senderos to the squad. Townsend is a good loan option given our position and he knows the league and then a striker. 

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think we need a keeper as well because a mistake from a keeper often leads to a goal. In our situation we need to lower our number of goals conceded. Brad is making too many errors of late and does not look confident which has an impact on the defence in front of him. A good keeper can earn as many points as a good striker and we need both for me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

I think we need a bit of luck to kickstart the revival. A fluke win on a fluke goal, anything to get some momentum going. If Swansea, Sunderland, Norwich and even Chelsea continue to struggle, then there is still light ahead, an opening...it's possible to do this. Cue The Great Escape song...

We haven't had any luck this season but to be fair we haven't deserved any. Sunderland and Bournemouth both upped their work rate and started getting lucky! I do think if this team had confidence we'd be fine but that's the problem we haven't and don't look like getting any. 

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35117587

Aston Villa to back manager Remi Garde in January transfer window

Aston Villa manager Remi Garde has been told he will be given any backing he needs in the transfer window.

The 49-year-old Frenchman last month replaced Tim Sherwood at Villa, who are six points adrift at the bottom of the Premier League table after 16 matches.

"If he decides he needs something he has the chairman's ear and his support," said chief executive Tom Fox.

"Remi has only been here five games. My job is to assist him when he decides there is something he might need."

Villa signed 13 players in the summer, with Sherwood, Fox, sporting director Hendrik Almstadt and director of scouting Paddy Riley all involved in the recruitment.

The club have gone 15 league games without a win, the worst run in their history.

Fox, who flew with Garde to meet owner Randy Lerner in America this week, told BBC WM: "People who are critical of the process I don't think quite understand how football clubs buy and sell players.

"We didn't do anything this summer that any other club in the world doesn't do. 

"We identified the needs our manager thought he had - we challenged some of those, which led to great discussion - and we tried to create a list of acceptable options, in the event your first choice wasn't available you had other people you could target. 

"There was never a sense there was a group of people who were trying to make decisions that weren't supported fully by the coaching staff."

•