The Greater Good?

Designer1

Is it ever worth it?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever want Aston Villa to lose if it meant getting rid of a manager you don't rate?

• No, I never ever want to see us lose no matter what the circumstances are.
    • Yes, it's worth it sometimes just to get rid.

As the poll says, would you ever want Aston Villa to lose if it meant getting rid of a manager you don't rate?

It's absolute anathema to me to ever want us to lose, but even I can almost understand it given our current circumstances.

I voted yes. But only in certain situations.

Now is not one of those situations by the way. Points on the board count at the moment more than anything. I'd love nothing more than 3 points against Chelsea.

• Like 1

How about if we lose to Chelsea, Sherwood is fired and replaced with Rodgers or some other Manager. But then you have a choice, you can stick with the defeat and a new Villa manager, or you can go back in time and change the result to a Villa win, but as a consequence Sherwood keeps his job. Faced with that scenario, I have to say I wouldn't go back in time to change the result.

How about if we lose to Chelsea, Sherwood is fired and replaced with Rodgers or some other Manager. But then you have a choice, you can stick with the defeat and a new Villa manager, or you can go back in time and change the result to a Villa win, but as a consequence Sherwood keeps his job. Faced with that scenario, I have to say I wouldn't go back in time to change the result.

Surely that would depend how Rodgers fared?

If Sherwood lost, was sacked, Rodgers came in and did terribly - you probably would go "back in time".

(In terms of the question, the answer is obviously "no")

No I want Villa to win every game in all circumstances.

Decisions about the management shouldn't be taken on the basis that he was given 2 games to save his job and failed. Its ridiculous. If he's got two games sack him now and get someone in who might just deliver a result. 

• Like 1

No. The only time I could probably consider a loss for the greater good, is if that match was an end of season dead rubber with nothing riding on it. 

At the moment points are everything. 

Surely that would depend how Rodgers fared?

If Sherwood lost, was sacked, Rodgers came in and did terribly - you probably would go "back in time".

You only have the option of going back, whilst Rodgers (or another manager) hasn't yet managed a game.

There are scenarios where I'd take a Villa loss for the greater good. But this weekend isn't one of them, because we're obviously desperate for points to avoid being cut further adrift. That said if we do lose, I won't view it as all bad, if it prompts the club, to make a change.

Rediculous really. Sherwood has only been in the job 5 minutes and people want us to loose so we can get rid.

Yep, amazing isn't it? Amazing that it has only taken him '5 minutes' to demonstrate that he's an absolute bag of shit and completely out of his depth. Must be some sort of record!

Rediculous really. Sherwood has only been in the job 5 minutes and people want us to loose so we can get rid.

Yep, amazing isn't it? Amazing that it has only taken him '5 minutes' to demonstrate that he's an absolute bag of shit and completely out of his depth. Must be some sort of record!

Would suggest this is completely untrue (his record at Spurs), but he's certainly struggling here.

Equally its no surprise that a bad manager with a better team than outs achieves better results. You could argue that Spurs team achieved inspite of Tim as opposed to because of him. 

Equally its no surprise that a bad manager with a better team than outs achieves better results. You could argue that Spurs team achieved inspite of Tim as opposed to because of him. 

So what about Lambert, who had a better team at Villa but achieved less than what he did at Norwich?

Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Sherwood did well at Spurs, irrespective of what slant people want to put on it.

• Like 1

no, but if we're losing by a couple, playing shit, no chance of winning, i'll happily accept a couple more being added to the score

this weekend will be a prime example of that, if we're 2-0 down with half hour left and chelsea are still in first gear while our manager is still trying to differentiate between his ass and his elbow then id be happy for chelsea to step it up and add numbers 3, 4 & 5

Â