The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 18:47, sidcow said:

Ayup... The Chalet is definitely what is was when I went there.  Having Google Street viewed it there are some external steps to an upstairs area, must be what I recall. Is it any good now then? Never even heard of that chain. 

Yeah I think I went in there when you did have to walk up to get in but didn't go for years and now it's been redeveloped inside.

Generous George is a sort of American concept but quite like the Pizzas and Burgers they do. It's basically Marston pubs being rebranded. Bit similar to some of the farmhouse Inns starting to pop up, one now at the Spitfire Island in Castle Brom.

Right on the edge of the Lickeys aswell so nice setting....just takes ages to get to from where I live!

The Glassworks in Stourbridge is also a generous george as is a pub in Rugeley.

https://www.oaktreepub.co.uk/

Edited by VillaChris

Went to a little craft beer/real ale bar called Arkwrights in Belper today. Tucked away on a sidestreet in this unassuming building, through the gate.

Good selection of ales. 6 on rotation, including a lot of local Derbyshire ales. 

arkwrights.jpg

pjfgajffhpyhuuoe.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

A nostalgia trip... back to the place I had my very first pint at when I was 15 or so...

Cracking boozer and nice beer garden. 

13484.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xela said:

A nostalgia trip... back to the place I had my very first pint at when I was 15 or so...

Cracking boozer and nice beer garden. 

13484.jpg

Takes bloody ages to get served when it's rammed on a weekend though. 

2 hours ago, KHV said:

Takes bloody ages to get served when it's rammed on a weekend though. 

I can well imagine. 

Did a bit of a crawl... also went to The Gate, Brewhouse (which I still refer to as The Cup) and finally, don't judge me, Yates (just so I can report back to @Stevo985 on whats it like!), which, was, as to be expected from a town centre Yates. To be fair got chatting to a few decent folks in there. It was a quiet night, so a fairly relaxed mood in Sutton. Couple of other places (Sutton Tap and Molloy's) were dead when we popped our head in, not a single person in there. However, Molloy's was busier later though as there was a queue to get in at midnight. 

All in all, a good session. Feel like death now though. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Xela said:

I can well imagine. 

Did a bit of a crawl... also went to The Gate, Brewhouse (which I still refer to as The Cup) and finally, don't judge me, Yates (just so I can report back to @Stevo985 on whats it like!), which, was, as to be expected from a town centre Yates. To be fair got chatting to a few decent folks in there. It was a quiet night, so a fairly relaxed mood in Sutton. Couple of other places (Sutton Tap and Molloy's) were dead when we popped our head in, not a single person in there. However, Molloy's was busier later though as there was a queue to get in at midnight. 

All in all, a good session. Feel like death now though. 

Brewhouse is nice but pricey. I normally start off a crawl around Sutton in Yates. Its dirt cheap and not too bad if you are in there early doors

I can confidently say I'll never go back to Yates in Sutton. And I was in there early. It was horrible.
I also visited Molloys a couple of weeks back for the first time.

That was also horrible, and we were the oldest people in their by about 20 years (and I'm only 31)

2 hours ago, KHV said:

Brewhouse is nice but pricey. I normally start off a crawl around Sutton in Yates. Its dirt cheap and not too bad if you are in there early doors

I was too far gone to appreciate their home brewed stuff. It was busy though (in comparison to other places)

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I can confidently say I'll never go back to Yates in Sutton. And I was in there early. It was horrible.
I also visited Molloys a couple of weeks back for the first time.

That was also horrible, and we were the oldest people in their by about 20 years (and I'm only 31)

Yates is like Spoonys... you know what to expect! :D

Funny you should say that about Molloys... I got chatting to a group of teenage girls outside Yates (don't judge me, i'm single and look young for my age!) and they were heading to Molloys. They said come along but I just knew i'd be the oldest in there by a country mile!

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I was too far gone to appreciate their home brewed stuff. It was busy though (in comparison to other places)

Yates is like Spoonys... you know what to expect! :D

Funny you should say that about Molloys... I got chatting to a group of teenage girls outside Yates (don't judge me, i'm single and look young for my age!) and they were heading to Molloys. They said come along but I just knew i'd be the oldest in there by a country mile!

I won't judge you, but I will criticise you on a missed opportunity for the ride :lol:

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 19:46, KHV said:

I won't judge you, but I will criticise you on a missed opportunity for the ride :lol:

I'm a man of moral integrity.

Plus I needed to be sick in a dustbin. 

• 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

Am now reguluarly frequenting the Red Lion on Warstone Lane JQ. Seeming as I live next door and they have Daniel Batham & Son on tap, I think I've lucked out

Cracking boozer and good food as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend some good pubs in Chester please?

Having a night out there later this year, just having an early look now in preparation, it's likely to be a big pub crawl. 

I've researched a few pubs but wanted to see if anyone has any first hand knowledge on any. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Any new places on the Brum pub trail I should be checking out tomorrow?

New one just opened called the Canal House. You can swim to it from the back of the Tap & Spile.

Canal-House-exterior.jpg (615×409)

• Like 1

Â