The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

22 hours ago, KHV said:

The Cock at Wishaw but went before Xmas last year and it was crap.

That's a shame, used to be one of the favourite pubs of my Mrs as that's her neck of the woods. She took me there with the kids once but it had gone a bit gastro and couldn't see the kids eating much there. 

22 hours ago, KHV said:

I haven't been to the Lickey Hills for about 15 years. We went to a pub out that way but it was summer and I was in my 20's. I was also on a shed load of magic mushrooms so I couldn't possibly recall the name of it. The pub was way past the Longbridge car plant on the left just before a roundabout. Well I think there was a pub and a roundabout :ph34r:

Magic roundabout? That does sound like The Oak Tree. I went there years and years ago, I'm pretty sure it was called something else then and it was awful. I think it's like an upside down pub or something, vaguely remember going up a lot of steps to get into it. 

It's very near Lickey End which reminds me (very unfortunately) about a very bizarre conversation which was taking place on this forum the other day. 

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

That's a shame, used to be one of the favourite pubs of my Mrs as that's her neck of the woods. She took me there with the kids once but it had gone a bit gastro and couldn't see the kids eating much there. 

The food is expensive but it used to be top quality. I don't know what's happened but now it's just very exepensive and mediocre. Their Xmas day last year was a disaster apparently according to people that went

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Magic roundabout? That does sound like The Oak Tree. I went there years and years ago, I'm pretty sure it was called something else then and it was awful. I think it's like an upside down pub or something, vaguely remember going up a lot of steps to get into it. 

It's very near Lickey End which reminds me (very unfortunately) about a very bizarre conversation which was taking place on this forum the other day. 

I seem to have a vague recollection of going up some stairs too

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

About 10 years ago it was called the Poachers Pocket and before that The Chalet. 

On 3/8/2017 at 22:14, KHV said:

I used to love the food at The Cock at Wishaw but went before Xmas last year and it was crap.

The Cock Inn

*snigger*

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

About 10 years ago it was called the Poachers Pocket and before that The Chalet. 

Ayup... The Chalet is definitely what is was when I went there.  Having Google Street viewed it there are some external steps to an upstairs area, must be what I recall. Is it any good now then? Never even heard of that chain. 

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ayup... The Chalet is definitely what is was when I went there.  Having Google Street viewed it there are some external steps to an upstairs area, must be what I recall. Is it any good now then? Never even heard of that chain. 

I don't know what it is like now mate. I lived over that way for a couple of years in late 90's as that is where my wife is from but haven't been in that pub since it became a Generous George.

Edited by markavfc40

Couple of iconic boozers visited today in Manchester:

@dAVe80 would have loved the first as it was playing reggae. Supping a pint of ale to the Harry J Allstars

peveril-of-the-peak-pub-manchester.jpg

britons-front.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Couple of iconic boozers visited today in Manchester:

@dAVe80 would have loved the first as it was playing reggae. Supping a pint of ale to the Harry J Allstars

peveril-of-the-peak-pub-manchester.jpg

britons-front.jpg

I've got a feeling I've been in that first pub. Is it not too far from Oxford Road Station? Can't recall what music was playing mind, as I was on a stag, and pretty hammered.

I'm very familiar with both of those :)  they're on a regular route and also used to be pre and post match haunts when we played at old Trafford, or after the cricket. The Pev gets, or used to, all kinds of famous visitors. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I've got a feeling I've been in that first pub. Is it not too far from Oxford Road Station? Can't recall what music was playing mind, as I was on a stag, and pretty hammered.

Yeah it's a few minutes walk/stagger from there :)

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Yeah it's a few minutes walk from there. 

Yep, that'll be the one then.

Get yourself in the Rovers Return, for a pint of Newton & Ridley's next. 

• Like 1

Â