The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah, the media machine as ever pushing increased defence spending as the answer to whatever problem they can link it to. 

Very true, but drones are now battlefield kit.

Just to add to Grayling's woes - They arrested the wrong people for Gatwick.

The veteran Eurosceptic John Redwood has received a knighthood in the New Year honours list, prompting accusations that Theresa May is using the honours system to smooth the way for her Brexit deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/28/pm-accused-brexit-deal-desperation-john-redwood-honour?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Absolute rocket polishers, this government.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

The veteran Eurosceptic John Redwood has received a knighthood in the New Year honours list, prompting accusations that Theresa May is using the honours system to smooth the way for her Brexit deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/28/pm-accused-brexit-deal-desperation-john-redwood-honour?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Absolute rocket polishers, this government.

If Redwood votes for May's deal then I'll eat Paddy Ashdown's hat.

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Savile. Mugabe. Goodwin. Redwood.

Goodwin was knighted in 2004.

The honours system is an utter disgrace. The Tories are no worse nor any better than Labour when it comes to giving them away, selling them or trying to use them to smooth their political wants.

I genuinely find it very hard to believe that all Redwood has been holding out for, whilst waving the brexit flag of unicorns more vociferously than most other tories, was a K.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, snowychap said:

The Home Secretary declaring a 'major incident' over a few hundred people trying to get across the channel by dinghy which has spiked over a few days might be a better direction for the ire against this current government.

I'm suitably pissed off about that too.

A major incident that could be averted by a good sized boat with a jetwash on board.

That's if it even needs to be averted, as opposed to actually helping fellow humans.

We should be questioning why anyone would walk from Syria to Calais then risk their life in the Channel to live in Leicester on 40 quid a week.

• Like 3

Stop sniggering at the back, this isn't funny and mocking those afflicted in such a manner makes you a bad person...

Tory MP regrets voting to cut legal aid after spending life savings defending himself in court

'It's completely wrong'

Tory MP Nigel Evans spent his life savings defending himself in court, after voting to reduce legal aid spending by 40 per cent, and is now calling for a reversal of the decision.

He said he would now vote against the cuts brought in by the Conservative/Lib Dem coalition, after false accusations of rape and sexual assault over a 10-year period forced him to spend £130,000 in legal fees.

The former deputy speaker was fighting charges he raped a university student and sexually assaulted six men.

Evans called for spending to return to pre-2012 levels.

Barrister and chair of the Commons justice committee, Tory Bob Neill, recently said excessive cuts may have transferred costs onto other government departments.

The Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act (Laspo) was passed by parliament in 2012 and supported by Evans at the time. Since, Evans said that was a mistake and the justice system is in need of funding.

He told the Guardian: "If I had my time again I would stand up and argue against the implementation of Laspo.

"It’s wrong, completely wrong, to remove people’s right to have expert legal representation, and now I’ve gone through it I can see that clearly. We’re definitely talking about justice being denied as a result of Laspo.

"My experience of being falsely accused, and losing my life savings to defend myself proving that, was a road to Damascus moment for me. I’m a changed person now, in terms of Laspo and sympathy for all those who now have to go through the legal system without expert help, support and advice.

"I’m not just talking about those accused in the criminal courts like me, but everyone affected by Laspo. Parents going through the family courts, tenants fighting landlords, patients fighting hospitals and so on. Laspo is clearly not working. It needs to be overhauled.

"Laspo financially punishes innocent people for the crime of being wrongly accused.

"You have no choice, when you’re accused of a crime and risk going to prison and losing everything, than to pay whatever you can to defend yourself.

"I was fortunate that I had my grandfather’s business in Swansea that I could sell and a house that I could remortgage. But if you don’t have life savings that you can drain, it makes a mockery of the whole idea of justice.

"Thanks to Laspo, you can be taken to court through no fault of your own and even when you walk away without a stain on your character, your bank account is completely drained. They call it the 'innocent tax' but what it is is innocent people subsidising the judiciary … We should go back to the pre-Laspo rules.

"People don’t see people like me as victims, and there’s a sense that it could not happen to them.

"That’s what I thought too, but it’s completely wrong. There’s nothing easier than someone falsely accusing you of a crime. Maybe only a relatively small number of people are affected, but part of the problem is that there’s a randomness to being falsely accused, it could literally happen to everyone.

"I was lucky, in that I had life savings to lose, but for those who don’t, Laspo can bring them to the point of suicide.”

Joe.co.uk

Definitely not funny :hooray::crylaugh:

• Like 2

I'm surprised someone who has been an MP for over 20 years earning what they do and claiming their excessive expenses had to sell a business and remortgage his home to pay a £130k legal bill. What the **** has he been spending it on?! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm surprised someone who has been an MP for over 20 years earning what they do and claiming their excessive expenses had to sell a business and remortgage his home to pay a £130k legal bill. What the **** has he been spending it on?! 

Stormy Denials?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DWP have had technical issues with benefits payments.

Some people have received some money over a week early (that could really arse up their budgets or get them panicking because they may think their claim has been closed down on New Year's Eve) and some who would have been expecting payments today now won't receive them until either Wednesday in England & Wales and Thursday in Scotland.

No explanation yet other than 'a technical issue'.

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Cocaine and rent boys most likely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Xela said:

I doubt many people have £130k laying around in a bank account earning 1-2% interest. More likely I would expect his money to be invested in less liquid assists (like real estate or a private business).

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I doubt many people have £130k laying around in a bank account earning 1-2% interest. More likely I would expect his money to be invested in less liquid assists (like real estate or a private business).

No one suggested he held it in cash, not sure what point you are making. The surprise was that this was his entire life savings (his claim) given that he's been an MP for in excess of 20 years

15 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Those sorts of assets aren't exactly hard to draw down.

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

No one suggested he held it in cash, not sure what point you are making. The surprise was that this was his entire life savings (his claim) given that he's been an MP for in excess of 20 years

Why?   They earn a relative pittance.

Â