The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, Genie said:

This one made me laugh

Reminds me of when Theresa May visited our site at work. There was uproar (from like 3 people) that she was pictured not wearing PPE while having a tour of the line.

The company's answer was "Yeah we get that, but she's the prime minister. If she refuses to wear it there's not a lot we can do"

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The company's answer was "Yeah we get that, but she's the prime minister. If she refuses to wear it there's not a lot we can do"

I've no time for her, but credit to her for not dressing up in hard hat, toe tectors and hi Viz, as most of the whoppers do for the photo op.

A good while ago Osborne, when he was chancellor came to our hangar and there's no media allowed in there whatsoever, ever, so he didn't comply with the "you must wear PPE in the hangar at all times" rule either, but you can bet if it had been a less classified hangar he'd have dressed up.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Isn't there a thing where Leaders aren't supposed to campaign during the other parties conference?

Angela Eagle was complaining about that on Monday iirc (along the lines of another unwritten agreement / convention broken) but it's not just leaders, it's parties in general.

It is absolutely indicative of the mess they are in and that they absolutely know it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Government incompetence encouraged fraud. Encouragement doesn't need to be explicit

That's a tough line, nearly all fraud involves incompetence. 

People are too trusting of a family friend who's a fraudster. 

People don't understand technology and are manipulated into handing over access to banking apps etc. 

All are example of incompetence, all avoidable and these encourage fraud. 

The blame should always sit with the criminals that carry out the fraud. 

They are sliding into oblivion - they have only more pain to come with various by-elections and gas prices going up, inflation staying high. interest rates staying high. They might not actually exist after the next election. 

I find it hard to believe that there are any more than a small minority who feel it's right to continue this madness....yet they're still forecast to win some seats.

Even in Tory strongholds I would think that more than the required number of return an MP would understand this is not the party they've traditionally voted for and have gone completely off the rails.  They think this should continue?  Like they've not see what's happened / what's happening?

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

They might not actually exist after the next election. 

Well, I think they'll exist but they may well be swapping places with the LibDems, who I expect to become the official opposition at some point when Labour are in power in the next 10-15 years.

As an electoral force, I'm convinced they are done

From the current position of huge swathes of the electorate not trusting them, they'll have to end the civil war and the only way that happens is if one side wins (it'll be the throbbers). Meanwhile the rest of the country will have moved on and their current target demographic will by and large be dead to be replaced with people who rarely vote Tory ever.

Oh and just wait until Farage is on board after the next election

They are absolutely toast

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well, I think they'll exist but they may well be swapping places with the LibDems, who I expect to become the official opposition at some point when Labour are in power in the next 10-15 years.

From the current position of huge swathes of the electorate not trusting them, they'll have to end the civil war and the only way that happens is if one side wins (it'll be the throbbers). Meanwhile the rest of the country will have moved on and their current target demographic will by and large be dead to be replaced with people who rarely vote Tory ever.

I do hope you're right. 

And, considering that British politics has been closely shadowing trends in the USA for the last decade or so, it would be nice if something similar could happen to the Republican party. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I do hope you're right. 

And, considering that British politics has been closely shadowing trends in the USA for the last decade or so, it would be nice if something similar could happen to the Republican party. 

I just don’t see a path for them to recover, they have further falling to go yet but by the second election cycle ahead there won’t be much between them and the LibDems.

Even business hates the “Party of Business” these days. They aren’t even trusted on the economy and crime by anyone.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I hope you're right, and though I know less about it all than you do, I'm far from sure you're right.

Assuming they get a (well deserved) shoeing at the next election, they've got 2 paths they can go down, I guess. They can either retreat further towards their throbby, right wing, nutty crazed flank, or they can decide "hang on, that's mad, we did well when we were more sane and concentrated on basic competence and decency (in their view)". I expect you're right that they will initially do the mad thing - "the voters rejected our lunacy, we need to be even more loony". But I think once they realise, after a year or so that that clearly won't get them back into power, they might have a bit/lot of a reset. Like they will presumably toss Sunak out of being leader and select one of the mad ones, probably one of the younger mad ones, but I'm not sure any of them have any actual principles and if they see the wind blowing in a different direction, they'll change with it. And if they don't then they'll get turfed out of leader role and one of the less throbby ones, probably one we've hardly heard of will get picked and start to turn it round for them. They'll be out of office for 10 years, and then back in.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I hope you're right, and though I know less about it all than you do, I'm far from sure you're right.

Assuming they get a (well deserved) shoeing at the next election, they've got 2 paths they can go down, I guess. They can either retreat further towards their throbby, right wing, nutty crazed flank, or they can decide "hang on, that's mad, we did well when we were more sane and concentrated on basic competence and decency (in their view)". I expect you're right that they will initially do the mad thing - "the voters rejected our lunacy, we need to be even more loony". But I think once they realise, after a year or so that that clearly won't get them back into power, they might have a bit/lot of a reset. Like they will presumably toss Sunak out of being leader and select one of the mad ones, probably one of the younger mad ones, but I'm not sure any of them have any actual principles and if they see the wind blowing in a different direction, they'll change with it. And if they don't then they'll get turfed out of leader role and one of the less throbby ones, probably one we've hardly heard of will get picked and start to turn it round for them. They'll be out of office for 10 years, and then back in.

They'll be throbby for much longer than a year and it’s hard to see them getting out of that cycle as the party members are increasingly electing more throbby candidates. The grass roots are at an all time low membership level and they too are increasingly throbby, geriatric and stubborn.

By the time they get less throbby, they aren’t likely to have much of a pulse. The Party will be Braverman, Patel, Badenoch, Gove, Truss and a whole bunch of Uber-safe seat talentless nobodies. A huge chunk of the already talentless cabinet will be gone. It’s going to take an awfully long time to rebuild. If they split, it’s highly likely the throbbers will be tempted to merge with the likes of Reform and the more centrist ones will have no grassroots, they might as well realign with the LibDems, who ideologically they will be much closer to than the rest of their party.

I really don’t see how the current party actually unites along more “sensible” policy lines.

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

By the time they get less throbby, they aren’t likely to have much of a pulse. The Party will be Braverman, Patel, Badenoch, Gove, Truss and a whole bunch of Uber-safe seat talentless nobodies

If they get routed at the next election, then we don't know which ones will get re-elected as MPs, so we don't know who will be on the ballot to be next leader, or who (of the MPs) will be voting for the next leader. I saw (maybe even in this thread) a map of what would happen if there was a a GE where the current polls were transposed onto each seat, and there were very few places left that would still be Tory. Obviously it's not going to happen like that, but it does show the unpredictability of who will survive the next GE for them. It's not particularly unreasonable to wonder if voters will be particularly against the throbbers and maybe less so when it comes to some of the less mad and more diligent ones, maybe the ones who work hard in their constituency might do less badly?

So while it'll probably be one of the "known" names like those you list who get to be next leader, if they are faced with a much smaller bunch of MPs who might (say) be keener on things which are currently ignored by the Tories in terms of policy, they might change tack from where they are now.

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

I really don’t see how the current party actually unites along more “sensible” policy lines.

There was talk about how the direction of the party during their time in opposition is going to be a continuation of their current three (broadly) way fight between the continuity-Cameron/Osborne in Rupert Harrison, who is their candidate in Bicester, continuity-May via Nick Timothy in West Suffolk and continuity-insanity via Braverman. 

As we've said before, it only takes a couple of strange election upsets and their whole path is thrown off-kilter. Lose of a couple of bigger names from any of the factions and things probably look a bit different. 

• Like 1

Â