The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, that's how I see it. 

I don't think they would really want to change the rules so another VONC can be held at the drop of a hat. It's not a great thing to have, I think they want Bozza to do the the right thing so they don't have to.  Their tack will be "we will do this on Monday so you're gone then if you don't resign by then"

I think the 12 month gap is also silly though, as we've seen here very major things can happen shortly or even months after a defended VONC which materially changes things.  Maybe another could be called but with a bigger majority threshold needed. 

What do other parties do? 

In other parties the leader would resign.

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its the committee itself not all the backbench MPs that can change the rules. Thats why they need to change the committee itself first

But they don't.

The premise is the new committee would be anti Boris - so more willing to change the rules.

But the existing committee can change the rules of they wish.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its the committee itself not all the backbench MPs that can change the rules. Thats why they need to change the committee itself first

There’s a committee now. They could change their rules. Changing some or all of the members of the committee is irrelevant in terms of what the committee is able to do, according to the various political geeks

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

In other parties the leader would resign.

Yes I know, but presumably there are mechanisms in place in case they don't. 

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

There’s a committee now. They could change their rules. Changing some or all of the members of the committee is irrelevant in terms of what the committee is able to do, according to the various political geeks

This is what was being reported by Peston earlier...

To state the obvious, if more than half of MPs wrote such letters, it would be obvious that the PM had lost the argument, so it would be tricky for him to say that a new vote was deeply unfair. The existing rules say there should be no further vote of confidence until next June, with the threshold for such a vote just 15% of Tory MPs.Such an emergency change in the rules of the '22 Committee is being actively canvassed and discussed by Conservative MPs, such is the gravity of the crisis they fear they face.The point is that unless they make that change at their meeting on Wednesday night, it is more-or-less impossible for the parliamentary stages of a leadership contest to be completed before Parliament rises for the summer in a fortnight.

So for those MPs who want Boris Johnson to be forced out now, tonight's 1922 meeting is their last hope.What is more likely to happen however is that the '22 Committee, under the leadership of Sir Graham Brady, will launch new elections to the committee, which would take place next Wednesday. And then that new committee could change the leadership election rules the following Wednesday.But with MPs going on their holidays the following day, the PM could be confident of keeping his job at least through the summer recess.So tonight's '22 meeting will decide if the PM is at risk of being evicted in the coming few days, or whether his moment of truth will be deferred till the autumn.

ITV

2 hours ago, Mozzavfc said:

It's beginning to look like a WWE storyline

gove, patel, shapps and the rest of the cabinet stompin' a mudhole on johnson, raab and dories run down to the ring to help him, only to slap him with a 3D

rees-mogg runs off like a scolded dog and leaves the ring in his limo

1 minute ago, bickster said:

This is what was being reported by Peston earlier...

ITV

Aye. The committee as it stands is quite able to change their own rules. They could do it now, but they’ve decided to wait a few days, elect new members….like I said, they’re a bit reticent to be the ones, they think, I guess they won’t need to as he’ll be pushed forthwith.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Aye. The committee as it stands is quite able to change their own rules. They could do it now, but they’ve decided to wait a few days, elect new members….like I said, they’re a bit reticent to be the ones, they think, I guess they won’t need to as he’ll be pushed forthwith.

I think its more a reticence to change the rules because they think the rule is right

Why they can't find 50% of the party to back a VONC right now is beyond my understanding, that would be the simplest approach but again there seems a reticence to do this too

I think they hope he'll be pushed but I have this feeling he'll force them to rip the party apart and as it says above, he'll get the whole summer recess to continue being PM and change enough minds (he's that deluded)

Part of me really hop[es that is the case

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I think I have found a way Bozo can remain PM for the rest of his life. 

Suicide tonight. 

Sadly it seems like Birmingham Road in Sutton Coldfield is currently closed due to someone on top of a building.

Odds on he'll quit tonight or tomorrow. 

Graham Brady's given him the hard word from the 1922. 

Patel's come out against him. 

He's got no cabinet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He's got no cabinet. 

He's still got gonads

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He's got no cabinet. 

I’ll still be shocked to see him quit, I think the more he is asked the more he digs in. 

• Like 1

"Sky News Understands...".  He'll be gone by the end of the week then.

PM 'does not intend to resign'

Boris Johnson is said to be "absolutely defiant" and "does not intend to resign", a senior Number 10 source has told Sky News.

Sky News

Â