The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think my bigger fear is that his replacement would be slightly more competent and they'd walk the next election again

said this all along. for that reason i want him to stay. we stand a chance of them losing the next election with him still as PM

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

said this all along. for that reason i want him to stay. we stand a chance of them losing the next election with him still as PM

The senior Tory’s are low risk for galvanising the party and the public aren’t they?

Williamson, Raab, Patel, JRM, Sunak, Truss, Gove are all a disaster in waiting. 

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's my MP and I've been pleasantly surprised how openly against Boris he has become. He was one of the only Tory MPs who stood up in the house and told Boris he'd lost his support when the Partygate stuff broke.

Considering he's a monumental dickhead, he's gone up a notch in my book.

That puts him on notch 1

Like Boris, I think he's only doing it for his own self preservation. The Sutton Tories made a public statement against Boris and I think he has to a) stick with them to a degree and b) he can probably see that there is no way out of this for Boris, especially with more party stuff still to emerge.

He certainly isn't doing it for the good of the people of Sutton.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

The senior Tory’s are low risk for galvanising the party and the public aren’t they?

Williamson, Raab, Patel, JRM, Sunak, Truss, Gove are all a disaster in waiting. 

i agree, but i think they will be seen as an improvement by many

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Like Boris, I think he's only doing it for his own self preservation. The Sutton Tories made a public statement against Boris and I think he has to a) stick with them to a degree and b) he can probably see that there is no way out of this for Boris, especially with more party stuff still to emerge.

Oh I know that. He's STILL a monumental dickhead.

But I think it still takes a little bit of backbone to actually stand up in the commons and say it to Boris' face (pretty much)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Well I read that wrong at first glance, was about to ask what’s wrong with you.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

Having done a bit of reading on this, I can't find a single country where a NOTA majority vote triggers a new contest (or even that it's ever been the top choice on a ballot). Happy to be wrong though. This seems to be more of a thing used by statisticians to keep tabs on voter satisfaction or in an attempt to give turnouts a bit of a boost. So as far as I can tell it really doesn't 'accomplish' anything other than make a few people less likely to either not vote or spoil ballots. Is it worth it?

You should look up what happened in the 1989 Polish Legislative Assembly Elections and also what happened in the 1990 elections in the Soviet Union. Both of these elections NOTA (or strictly speaking Against All) had a significant impact on the demise of the former Eastern Bloc

In Indonesia it happens in seats where only one candidate is standing and happened as recently as 2018 in a local election

It even happens in the UK in most Student Unions and NUS elections and has done since at least the '80s

But just because that doesn't happen in some places where they do have a None of the Above / Re-open Nominations / Against All, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen and isn't in itself an argument

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He's my MP and I've been pleasantly surprised how openly against Boris he has become. He was one of the only Tory MPs who stood up in the house and told Boris he'd lost his support when the Partygate stuff broke.

Considering he's a monumental dickhead, he's gone up a notch in my book.

That puts him on notch 1

He also opposed the politically minded move to reduce overseas aid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Really. She’s a waddling Hippo. Whatever turns you on I guess 😉

Yeah this.

I've said before, I'm not one for bodyshaming someone, but I'll make an exception for her.

She has a body like an overstuffed sack of potatoes. She's gross.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Wonder what that means.

Does that suggest they're confident the vote will go in their favour?

Yeah could be.

Or the MP’s have said they are gonna do what they like anyway so it’s been sold as “approved”. 

Just now, Genie said:

Yeah could be.

Or the MP’s have said they are gonna do what they like anyway so it’s been sold as “approved”. 

Or that they are just confident that a Procedure and Privileges Committee with a Tory majority (and a recused Labour chair) is going to just kick it out anyway so it doesn't matter if the matter gets referred to them.

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Or that they are just confident that a Procedure and Privileges Committee with a Tory majority (and a recused Labour chair) is going to just kick it out anyway so it doesn't matter if the matter gets referred to them.

Yep that was my though, it's just a response to the Member for Rhondda's "clever move" of yesterday

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep that was my though, it's just a response to the Member for Rhondda's "clever move" of yesterday

Although most of the reports coming out suggest that @Genie's theory is more likely actually. So many expected rebels that it's hard to sanction them all, so just give in to them instead. Edit - or a slightly more nuanced version, that they would have still won the vote, but there would have been so many missing / abstaining MPs that it would make their whipping operation look like a farce. 

Bet that all the Tory MPs who had hung around until today because of the three-line whip, only to turn up and be told that they aren't needed after all are delighted with how it's all been played. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Thanks 1

Â