The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Worth clicking the link in the final tweet there to reminisce about the time Johnson flew to a party at Lebedev's villa in Tuscany, mysteriously leaving his security detail behind, or the time he got shit-faced at Lebedev's party while he was Foreign Secretary. Good times.

9 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

If anything she’s worse. Neither of those took a private jet to Australia instead of a commercial flight.

To be fair the jet was only invented in '39 so it would have been a pretty impressive 'proof of concept' if Hitler had flown one to Australia.  

• Haha 1

Liz (un)Truss(tworthy) on the BBC this morning defending the Russian money and connections with the Tories.

She can’t even deny it, just parroting some crap about all donors being fully vetted (yeah right) and that they’ll target those with close links to Putin (yeah right).

We must, absolutely must get these scumbags out of our government and out of our lives.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Johnson put Lebedev in the house of lords for christ's sake. Of course, he's just the son of a KGB spy and we'd obviously not give a peerage to someone compromised themselves. Very serious vetting that absolutely doesn't consist of "yes that does seem to be enough zeroes".

Two more zeroes:

Since he was placed in the House Of Lords he has spoken in precisely zero debates and voted precisely zero times. 

It's almost as if he's in there for some other reason than to offer scrutiny and expertise to the British democratic process. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Liz (un)Truss(tworthy) on the BBC this morning defending the Russian money and connections with the Tories.

She can’t even deny it, just parroting some crap about all donors being fully vetted (yeah right) and that they’ll target those with close links to Putin (yeah right).

We must, absolutely must get these scumbags out of our government and out of our lives.

Here it is if people haven't seen it. She's a lamentable idiot, even her pronunciation of Putin (pootin) makes me want to vomit

We’ve had 50 years to adjust to decimalisation, but for the generation that have the mass hallucination that they were active heroic participants in World War II they still believe we are better off with furlongs and guineas.

Absolute tubes.

Why can’t they all just form their own colony somewhere sparsely populated and **** off there with their top hats and fox hunting and obsession with other peoples sex habits and their fawning worship of Barons and Old Etonians.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I can't stand the man, but this isn't really that scandalous is it. It's hardly like the potential for war was a big secret a month and a half ago, and anyone who held positions in Russian assets has had to think carefully about what to do about them.

(I write this as the idiot who had a small position hoping for upside if an agreement was reached, and has written it off for essentially nothing today - not proud of that one)

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't stand the man, but this isn't really that scandalous is it. It's hardly like the potential for war was a big secret a month and a half ago, and anyone who held positions in Russian assets has had to think carefully about what to do about them.

(I write this as the idiot who had a small position hoping for upside if an agreement was reached, and has written it off for essentially nothing today - not proud of that one)

I’ve been reading this one the other way.

He’s inside UK government, and up until days ago was also a shareholder in the Russian banking system.

The head of the UK Statistics Authority (UKSA) has said Boris Johnson was wrong to claim more people are in work now than before the pandemic.

Writing to the PM, Sir David Norgrove said the number in work was estimated to be around 660,000 fewer than before coronavirus struck.

He suggested Mr Johnson had excluded a fall in self-employment numbers when making the claim.

He warned the "selective use of data" would "give a misleading impression".

The prime minister made the statement on employment during Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday.

Responding to a question from Labour MP Kerry McCarthy about the cost of living, he said: "The single best thing that we have done on the cost of living is making sure that we have millions more people into work."

"There are 430,000 more in employment now than there were before the pandemic began," he added.

In his letter to the prime minister, Sir David wrote: "According to the latest ONS (Office for National Statistics) figures, it is wrong to claim that there are now more people in work than before the pandemic began.

BBC

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve been reading this one the other way.

He’s inside UK government, and up until days ago was also a shareholder in the Russian banking system.

Do we know whether he was? Clearly his firm was.

I guess my feeling on this is that MPs shouldn't have second jobs; it would be better if none of them had them. However, if we're going to have a system where they can have second jobs, then working for an investment firm is a type of job that a person can have.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do we know whether he was? Clearly his firm was.

I guess my feeling on this is that MPs shouldn't have second jobs; it would be better if none of them had them. However, if we're going to have a system where they can have second jobs, then working for an investment firm is a type of job that a person can have.

I can only speak from a position of not being a government minister and not having an investments company.

But if I was to be a tory Minister, I reckon I’d try not to be investing in the enemy. 

If it wasn’t me directly doing the trades, I’d like to think those working in my name for my profit were avoiding Russian Banks, Syrian barrel makers, Chinese adult education providers. You know the sort of thing.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I can only speak from a position of not being a government minister and not having an investments company.

But if I was to be a tory Minister, I reckon I’d try not to be investing in the enemy. 

If it wasn’t me directly doing the trades, I’d like to think those working in my name for my profit were avoiding Russian Banks, Syrian barrel makers, Chinese adult education providers. You know the sort of thing.

I don't have access so I can't read the story, and so I have no idea if this is actually something he is involved in or just a fund (one of presumably many) run by his firm. But an investment firm is likely to have lots of different types of fund, and I don't really think there's anything inherently wrong with investing in Russian (or Chinese or wherever) assets, or at least there wasn't when the firm stopped a month and a half ago. The calculation has changed today, not just in that the assets are hugely devalued but also that they are now under sanctions, so a decision has been made that they are a fair target for retaliation so yeah, probably shouldn't invest now.

I guess what I'm coming to is that if this story was that Sberbank would have been under sanctions before today, but wasn't because Rees-Mogg was lobbying for them not to be because his firm had a position in their shares, then that would be a scandal. A big scandal, one that he should have to resign over. But - without being able to read the story, but going from the tenor of the discusson - that presumably isn't the case.

Â