Football Manager 2016

andykeenan

Yes, It was annoying. Played them reasonably well.

Went 1-0 up and was having more chances than them. Then Amavi takes a throw in and throws it directly to Mata who hits a screamer followed by three penalties, one of which was saved.

Felt like Rudolph was back in charge.

4 hours ago, tarjei said:

I'm in the 6th season now. Have won the league twice, Europa league once, Fa cup once and the Capital cup twice. Struggling against the better sides in the CL.

Got a £260m budget, but very little room for wages due to FFP. Every first team player I try to sign wants £200k pr week or more and a ton of big clauses and bonuses, so I can't really strengthen the first team immediately.

It's a bit hard taking that final step towards the top (without a super tactic). Got all the money I need but can't spend it, and I'm having to rely on bringing youngsters through.

I had this problem on FM15 in my fourth or fifth season, had a transfer budget of £50m but had overspent on my wage budget and fair play restrictions kicked in. I couldn't offer a contract of more than £100 per week to anybody, even in renewals for existing players. I had a 33 year old Cahill wanting a new contract and willing to drop his wages and couldn't even do that. I sold my star AM before realising and couldn't sign a replacement, the entire season was a write off that I just couldn't enjoy.

Yeah it's almost like my transfer targets and current players negotiating new deals think the club has unlimited money (which to be frank it does), but the FFP-restrictions doesn't come into their evaluation, so it becomes a balancing act.

I'm not in such a bad place as you describe, because I keep selling my highest earners. But each season the expectations of the board rise and the squad's average age goes down.

Edited by tarjei

I seem to be hopeless playing as Villa like usual. I'm Playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, I was controlling games but silly error's kept costing me and I kept giving away penalties. Lost my first 5 games in a row and on the 6th I was 2-0 up until the 80th minute away at west ham and then they scored 3 goals to win the match and now i've just lost 3-0 away to bournemouth. At the start I was using control mentality with fluid shapes and fast tempo, now i've started listening to the coaches and using counter in some games and more structured shapes but nothing seems to be working. I'll get it eventually.

Yea with Villa's starting squad id say take it down to the basics. Obviously in an ideal world you'd harass the opposition for 90 minutes, stroke it around nicely and keep it solid but you have to have a squad to do that.

I went for a narrow 4312 and until my end of season collapse I was doing brilliantly.

Yeah, that's what I do too.... I just haven't got the world class type players that can give me an edge against the likes of Real M, Barca and Bayern. Came close last season but lost on away goals 4-4 to Real Madrid. They seem to just play along for a while and tease me with a goal or two and then murder my team at will when they need to [emoji4]

Got some great talents breaking through in the team though, the guy below being the best one. He got 37 goals in 26 starts and 20 sub appearances last season, so this season he's gonna be the main man. Suliman, Grealish, Amavi is still in my team and Andre Green is a rotation player.

VPRnXCk.png

Using a different skin mate?

31 minutes ago, PongRiddims said:

Using a different skin mate?

It's just the standard dark one that comes with the game, but I like to change the colors of the attributes if that's what you mean? (you can change it to whatever you want in preferences).

54 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

I seem to be hopeless playing as Villa like usual. I'm Playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, I was controlling games but silly error's kept costing me and I kept giving away penalties. Lost my first 5 games in a row and on the 6th I was 2-0 up until the 80th minute away at west ham and then they scored 3 goals to win the match and now i've just lost 3-0 away to bournemouth. At the start I was using control mentality with fluid shapes and fast tempo, now i've started listening to the coaches and using counter in some games and more structured shapes but nothing seems to be working. I'll get it eventually.

Yea, I would recommend you try a more defensive shape with Villa. The formation you pick on the tactics screen is your set defensive shape (and the roles and duty control the attacking shape). 4231 is very attacking and control mentality means you in addition use a high D-line and using most of the width of the pitch. That should really only be used when you have a top team with great players in every position. Unless you somehow manage to make it solid.. which would be a feat! Pulling the wingers back, or changing to a 41221 or 4141 makes more sense to me.

Would anybody be lovely enough to let me download FM16 off their steam account? I don't get paid till 1st of December and its torture waiting. You can change the password afterwards. Long shot I know but I thought id ask. UTV 

4 hours ago, villahosk said:

Would anybody be lovely enough to let me download FM16 off their steam account? I don't get paid till 1st of December and its torture waiting. You can change the password afterwards. Long shot I know but I thought id ask. UTV 

That wouldn't work anyway.

22 hours ago, tarjei said:

Yea, I would recommend you try a more defensive shape with Villa. The formation you pick on the tactics screen is your set defensive shape (and the roles and duty control the attacking shape). 4231 is very attacking and control mentality means you in addition use a high D-line and using most of the width of the pitch. That should really only be used when you have a top team with great players in every position. Unless you somehow manage to make it solid.. which would be a feat! Pulling the wingers back, or changing to a 41221 or 4141 makes more sense to me.

What if for instance you're using Grealish and Gil as AML and AMR with both set as either AP or IF, you couldn't have those roles when they're moved to ML and MR so wouldn't that cause a problem with how you attack?

12 minutes ago, adw95 said:

What if for instance you're using Grealish and Gil as AML and AMR with both set as either AP or IF, you couldn't have those roles when they're moved to ML and MR so wouldn't that cause a problem with how you attack?

You can still use them as Wide Midfielder and Wide Playmaker on MR and ML. They operate very similar in attack, but they get back to cover the fullback in defence. On the flip side that means they won't be in an advanced position when you break, so yeah, it might cause a problem, but it's shouldn't really. Grealish usually got around 15 goals & assist for me pr season as a WM on the left side. Now, 6 seasons in, I'm playing 4231 mostly and he's still getting around the same amount of goals and assists.

The biggest difference is an IF on attack duty will not track back at all and will stay in the space behind the opposing fullback when he ventures forward, while he will to an extent track back on support, but still stay in advanced position. It depends a bit on your mentality and team shape too. But your fullback will be left 1 v 2 in many situations if you're playing 4231. If you've got three CM's that will help out and put some balance back in to the side, but now, whenever I see the opposition trying to send men forward, I change my tactic to either 4411 or 41221.    

Edited by tarjei
  • Like 1

A WM can be turned into an IF with player instructions. Dribble More,Cut Inside, Cross Less and either Get Further Forward for attacking duty or More Risky Passes for Support.

A WP can be turned into an AP with the player instructions Shoot less, Cut Inside, More Risky Passes, Cross Less and also Dribble More if on attack duty.

As said earlier, starting formation is your defensive shape and your attacking shape comes from the player roles and duties.

Â